Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

I've never trusted the 'recruitment' side of things at the club before. It's been so poor.

First time I've got faith in the people making decisions. Proper set up with data and scouting. None of this contacts nonsense, or 'wait till the end for the bargain bucket' rubbish. We sign players because they suit our needs and style of play; Garrity, Jones, and Cass were unheard of on arrival but all have largely contributed in a good way. 

Not every signing has been bang on but there's been more good than bad, and even the worst isn't exactly atrocious (like most of the signings last summer, with 3 now featuring in my worst ever Vale 18). 

It's weird that 'Trust the Pruhcess' was used as a stick to knock the club in pre-season, but I find myself saying it without irony more and more these days.

Agree with this, Joe - how many times in the past have we had a manager who could say this about a signing?

"...The Vale manager added that the club had carefully researched the signing of Edmondson adding: “Our recruitment team have done the homework on him and he fits the profile of the type player that we were looking for particularly with his presence, mobility and his touch, he will be a great addition to our attacking players.”

Advert:

3 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Rumours Stockport end that Ryan Johnson is off there.

I think that fits. A lad with promotion experience is perfect for them, especially as they released a left-sided defender today in Zeki Fryers. 

I want to think there's something there with Johnson, but he hasn't had an impact. A loan with an option at the end of the season if they fancy him could work out well. 

Posted (edited)

I think Johnson, Legge, Amos, Burgess, Whitehead, and Rodney (permanently or temporarily) will be gone by the end of the window. I think we'll be quite aggressive in making changes. 

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

Permanent or loan ?
Just not happened for him at Vale but I'd persevere. Written off too soon on here . 

No idea their Podcast and forum mentions it, obviously their manager is Challinor who had him at Hartlepool. I expect if he goes Leggey will stay and we will replace with another central defender.

I'd be disappointed to see Johnson go, I think given a run of games he could be a good player for us. He had a really poor start, lost his place very quickly & then was just knocking on the door of the starting 11 again before the games were called off. He's got all the attributes to be very decent at this level.

I wouldn't be too sad to see Rodney leave but I'd be very surprised if we're letting a striker leave under current circumstances (even though I think he's better out wide) If somebody came in with decent money it would be foolish not to sell based on this seasons form. He looked a real asset last year. I'm not close to the detail but I know he's recently become a parent & he's obviously been hampered with some niggling injuries, but he just hasn't quite been at it so far this season. There was times last season when he was unplayable & we just haven't seen that this year from him.

• Like 2

I know Johnson has not exactly established himself yet but would be a bit surprised if we’d let him go at this point. Really with Dan Jones banned for three games (that Newport red card seems an age ago now) this should be his opportunity to force his case in our first team unless Amos has shown he could maybe play that LCB role.

34 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

I can't see Vale signing another striker, for 6 figures or nothing.  We have Edmondson now, with Amoo probably back, Wilson back in training, Garrity an excellent emergency option, Politic, and Proc maybe a month off.

Amoo, Garrity, and Politic are not strikers. They are all very effective elsewhere. If they play them up front we lose their utility in other positions.

Proctor isn't ready and Edmonson is cup-tied and inexperienced, and whilst he might be good, we can't rely on it. Wilson won't be match fit yet even if he is available. 

We need another forward. Lloyd is gone and we can't trust Rodney. We also can't assume Proctor and Wilson will hit the ground running. 

We need striker + Edmonson until Proctor and Wilson are back, and that'll allow us to ease them back in. We should then have a target man back up for Proctor and then Wilson/new signing for the other spot. As much as Wilson was in good form, he wasn't exactly prolific in the league. We're going to have a spell of Saturday/Tuesday and depth will be crucial.

At least that's how I see it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Posted (edited)

I’d be surprised if we let Johnson go. He’s not impressed when he’s played so far but DC clearly rated him and I don’t think he’s had a fair enough chance so far. Unless Stockport are offering us a decent deal; which they probably are / we have someone lined up it wouldn’t make sense. Although I suppose it could mean in the immediate, Amos staying and getting a chance as back up at left back to Benning? With Martin / Legge at Cb in the short term. 

As Joe says we need and will sign another forward. Garrity has done great up top but we’re missing his goals from midfield. Amoo is a winger / back up forward, Wilson will take a bit of time to get going (could get injured again) and same with Proctor. I’m certain we will sign another striker, especially with this build up in fixtures. 

Edited by valiant_593

15 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Amoo, Garrity, and Politic are not strikers. They are all very effective elsewhere. If they play them up front we lose their utility in other positions.

Proctor isn't ready and Edmonson is cup-tied and inexperienced, and whilst he might be good, we can't rely on it. Wilson won't be match fit yet even if he is available. 

We need another forward. Lloyd is gone and we can't trust Rodney. We also can't assume Proctor and Wilson will hit the ground running. 

We need striker + Edmonson until Proctor and Wilson are back, and that'll allow us to ease them back in. We should then have a target man back up for Proctor and then Wilson/new signing for the other spot. As much as Wilson was in good form, he wasn't exactly prolific in the league. We're going to have a spell of Saturday/Tuesday and depth will be crucial.

But, Amoo and Garrity have played up front, and Garrity did extremely well.  We shall see, but I'll be surprised if we sign another permanent striker.  Be interesting to see who makes the squad this weekend. 

I mentioned Rodney going in the window a couple of months ago, as at that time I was placing him in 4th position for a strikers role. I’ve since realised that Rodney isn’t a striker and operates best as a right winger even though his crossing ability requires a lot of work. At that time all forwards were fit. I couldn’t understand why on RS Adam Yates, who could talk a glass eye asleep was saying he’s one for the future and would be our most valuable assets.

If those rumors are true I'd be disappointed if Vale let Devante go. He doesn't appear to fit the 3-5-2 system DC prefers as he doesn't appear to be at his best as an out and out striker and he isn't a left wing back so he's had his nose pushed out this season a little and together with injuries it's not been the best season for him.

There is no doubting he has talent and pace to burn, it's finding the right system(s) to suit Devante. I hope he stays and fights for a  place.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I mentioned Rodney going in the window a couple of months ago, as at that time I was placing him in 4th position for a strikers role. I’ve since realised that Rodney isn’t a striker and operates best as a right winger even though his crossing ability requires a lot of work. At that time all forwards were fit. I couldn’t understand why on RS Adam Yates, who could talk a glass eye asleep was saying he’s one for the future and would be our most valuable assets.

14 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Yes I heard Adam Yates couple months ago before the kick off saying there was a million pound player in Rodney and was our most saleable asset 

Advert:

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Amoo, Garrity, and Politic are not strikers....As much as Wilson was in good form, he wasn't exactly prolific in the league. We're going to have a spell of Saturday/Tuesday and depth will be crucial.

Interestingly, Garrity / Wilson / Proctor are joint top scorers each on 7 goals.  Nobody prolific but Wilson seemed to set a few up, as well. And we have around 15 different scorers...so far.

9 hours ago, The French Connection said:

But, Amoo and Garrity have played up front, and Garrity did extremely well.  We shall see, but I'll be surprised if we sign another permanent striker.  Be interesting to see who makes the squad this weekend. 

We will sign another permanent striker,as someone else said Proctor is someway off and DC and the club wont want to be left in the same position we are now for the run in(not sure he will be as experienced as some think though)

As for Johnson,that would be an odd one(i actually like him) with Jones being out unless someone is lined up,if its a loan then fair enough i guess as he gets game time and still has 12mths left and if it was permanent then he would command a fee which again would be good business for a player who joined a free in the summer