Jump to content

  • OVF player sponsorship 2022

    £10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings


Doha

Recommended Posts

The Swindon manager said McKirdy is an odd ball and has to be treated as such.  He didn't fit at Vale, fair enough. But they seem to be getting a tune out of him.  Good luck to him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Yeah for once it seems he actually made an effort. I’m pleased for him but  don’t feel we missed out on a class player because his efforts when he was at Vale were dreadful. 

Yep, from comments made by DC it would appear to have been McKirdy's attitude that was the problem and not necessarily his ability. Think he's now got a total of 7 goals in this campaign so far, so not exactly settling the world on fire. But nevertheless, yesterday's 4 goals bonanza will grab some headlines. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

Yep, from comments made by DC it would appear to have been McKirdy's attitude that was the problem and not necessarily his ability. Think he's now got a total of 7 goals in this campaign so far, so not exactly settling the world on fire. But nevertheless, yesterday's 4 goals bonanza will grab some headlines. 

He's actually on ten goals now, from 23 games this season.

It was a sensible decision from Clarke to let him go at the end of his contract, considering his difficult attitude, but I think it was nuts for Askey to deregister a talent like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think it was actually a hindrance for McKirdy to be around here. He probably needs somewhere where people don't know him already. People I knew were talking about him as soon as he came back, and rarely in a positive fashion,

I was a big advocate in playing him as I felt he could have played the '10' role we lacked when Manny was injured, but he was anonymous in every chance he got. Maybe part of that was due to Askey imploding + playing with poor players, but it was right to release him, as it was for every other player.

He's doing well at Swindon who are doing superbly considering where they were in pre-season, sending non-league trialists and teenagers to be hammered in friendlies. Sometimes certain set ups suit players, and others don't. Garrity is a prime example, as is Jones and Proctor. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


I guess it depends what you want to watch. The DC approach is that players are a commodity to be bought and sold when required. Tell them what to do and leave nothing to their imagination. That may or may not get results but some people like a bit of character like Monty or McKirdy. Micky Adams type of management was able to control such players and get the best out of them. Bit more rollercoaster but more entertaining to watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I guess it depends what you want to watch. The DC approach is that players are a commodity to be bought and sold when required. Tell them what to do and leave nothing to their imagination. That may or may not get results but some people like a bit of character like Monty or McKirdy. Micky Adams type of management was able to control such players and get the best out of them. Bit more rollercoaster but more entertaining to watch.

Actually nearly a sensible post from you. DC doesn't seem to like mavericks, an approach which has served us well. Manny sold, McKirdy and Monty released. We're a committed, hard-working, effective team which should finish in the top 7 and has a decent chance of top three.

We don't struggle to score goals so it's not that we lack creativity, it just seems to come from the system rather than individuals. Whilst some have bemoaned Worrall's decline in importance, I think it's good to not have to rely on him having a good day - his numbers were ridiculous partly because Askey was completely dependent on him to create chances. The system does it for us, which is much more sustainable.

I don't agree with the commodity stuff as too many players attest to his man management skills. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I guess it depends what you want to watch. The DC approach is that players are a commodity to be bought and sold when required. Tell them what to do and leave nothing to their imagination.

Welcome to football management. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Every single person within football is a commodity to a club. Coaches, players, managers, physios, fitness coaches, everyone. They all have their shelf life. To think that this only applies to DC is naive at the least. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


1 hour ago, Wrex said:

He's actually on ten goals now, from 23 games this season.

It was a sensible decision from Clarke to let him go at the end of his contract, considering his difficult attitude, but I think it was nuts for Askey to deregister a talent like that.

Thanks, I thought he'd only scored 3 in the league prior to yesterday. He undoubtedly has some talent, but if he us a 'difficult character' it takes an exceptional man-manager to get the best out of someone like that! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Treating players as a commodity:

Adams - put the whole lot up for sale (the very definition of the word)

Askey - ruined Tom Popes life by treating him so badly according to Tom

Askey - binned of Ben Whitfield, who had the flair we apparently are desperate for, because he couldn’t control him

Askey - Deregistered McKirdy for the same reason

DC - built the BEST dressing room a number of the players have been involved in.
 

As for what I would rather watch… a well organised team with a win ratio of nearly 50% rather than a team at the bottom of the league that nearly got relegated 3 times with Monty making a flair run once every 9 games.

UTV

The one thing i took from pope's interview on ale n vale was how horrendous askey was at man managing and i believe that to be true. So everyone saying mckirdys attitude was this and that but what you have to remember is he barely had a sniff with us and then in the interview pope mentions about askey started on mckirdy for wearing a snude in training. So i think if any player is not getting any game time and the manager has clearly got it in for them i feel anyone would have a attitude towards a club. 
 

i think the fact hes gone to swindon and pretty much starts every week and seems to be loved there suggests that if you are able to manage him properly he does have a good attitude and will give his all. 
 

but there is always deffo two sides to the story so everyone sayinf hes got attitude problems there may be a valid reason for him being like that because if your employer doesn't treat you right your not going to give everything. 
 

following swindons socials hes turning into a loved key player for them which is nice to see as he clearly has talent and it would be a shame to see it go to waste

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I remember Akpo Sodje scoring four at Rotherham.

Plenty of Vale fans have still got him higher up than Leon Constantine on their preferred striker list.

That's the Constantine who scored 12 in his first half season with us and then hit 20 before christmas the same year that Akpo did his thing.  Finishing that season on about 28 I think.

Mckirdy must have "something."

I don't really know what it is as he never did it here, for whatever reason.

All the best to him but we've moved on.

Edited by eh up nah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

The one thing i took from pope's interview on ale n vale was how horrendous askey was at man managing and i believe that to be true. So everyone saying mckirdys attitude was this and that but what you have to remember is he barely had a sniff with us and then in the interview pope mentions about askey started on mckirdy for wearing a snude in training. So i think if any player is not getting any game time and the manager has clearly got it in for them i feel anyone would have a attitude towards a club. 
 

i think the fact hes gone to swindon and pretty much starts every week and seems to be loved there suggests that if you are able to manage him properly he does have a good attitude and will give his all. 
 

but there is always deffo two sides to the story so everyone sayinf hes got attitude problems there may be a valid reason for him being like that because if your employer doesn't treat you right your not going to give everything. 
 

following swindons socials hes turning into a loved key player for them which is nice to see as he clearly has talent and it would be a shame to see it go to waste

I think the fact that he was described as a 'circus' by the Carlisle manager after an 11 goal season suggests there are deeper issues. It clearly wasn't an issue specific to Vale, or even Askey, for all his managerial flaws. 

It may be that his ostracisation and release from Vale focused his mind, and he got lucky that Swindon were desperate for players due to their off-field situation. He grabbed his opportunity and good luck to him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think the fact that he was described as a 'circus' by the Carlisle manager after an 11 goal season suggests there are deeper issues. It clearly wasn't an issue specific to Vale, or even Askey, for all his managerial flaws. 

It may be that his ostracisation and release from Vale focused his mind, and he got lucky that Swindon were desperate for players due to their off-field situation. He grabbed his opportunity and good luck to him

Perhaps he has matured and is in the right place at the right time, except when he plays against us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Treating players as a commodity:

Adams - put the whole lot up for sale (the very definition of the word)

Askey - ruined Tom Popes life by treating him so badly according to Tom

Askey - binned of Ben Whitfield, who had the flair we apparently are desperate for, because he couldn’t control him

Askey - Deregistered McKirdy for the same reason

DC - built the BEST dressing room a number of the players have been involved in.
 

As for what I would rather watch… a well organised team with a win ratio of nearly 50% rather than a team at the bottom of the league that nearly got relegated 3 times with Monty making a flair run once every 9 games.

UTV

Good post apart from bit about Monty ,he was a excellent player for Vale I for one enjoyed his efforts UTV 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mckirdy is difficult to manage no doubt about it. Released everywhere he goes. He’s doing well at the moment but it wouldn’t surprise me if something goes wrong before the end of the season. 
 

I certainly won’t believe anything that Pope says

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...