Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

7 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I'm 100% behind the Academy - and the only discussion of any merit will be between the owners and management team, as to whether it's a sustainable project? We can't just throw extra money at the first team in case there's a  salary / spending cap. The idea that we can't compete for the better young players could be false? Maybe younger players will see Vale doing the right things...improving on and off the pitch...and be tempted to sign with us as against competing with dozens of others with a bigger club? In any case, if the owners decide we can afford it, and they're prepared to finance it in the interim period, then I think it will just be another step to the Vale becoming a better and more professional club!

Yeah if Carol is committed to it then of course I want to succeed, but I think there's a debate to be had as to whether we try and achieve success using the same model as other clubs. There's a lot of 'that's the way it's always been done' in football.

The academy model is historic and has a lot of positives but not every club can have a great academy - some clubs need to be successful via other means, especially if we're starting 20-30 years and millions of pounds a year behind the rest.

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

For me without a development team of 18-21 year olds the academy is pretty pointless they just aren't ready at 18 to be playing league football and the ones who do will leave for a bigger club. We need to be hunting around the lower non league's for the young tallent that has fell through the cracks but has potential to develop. The problem is it will cost about a million a year and there's no funding unlike the 600k we get for the academy system which ultimately provides cheap players for the big boys as we have seen in the past

14 hours ago, capirex said:

Bolton appear to be pouring cold water on the availability of Eoin Doyle. Ian Evatt say's that rumours of his availablity are "speculation". Make of that what you will!

Ooh would be a statement of intent  but would he fit in with our dressing culture ?  Apparently he was the catalyst for their captain (can’t spell his name ) to decant to Stockport  

Advert:

Posted (edited)

With Pádraig (Podge) Amond being rumoured I have gotten over excited and started doing a bit of research.

This is the thread on him from the Exeter forum.

In summary, they love him and are desperate for him to stay.

- quality finisher

- amazing attitude

- great with the younger players on the dressing room

Unfortunately it sounds like he is keen to stay there based on this and are even looking at a perm move with a coaching role.

Edited by Iron Curtain

Here is a name to throw into the hat - Ellis Harrison - 27yo striker currently at Portsmouth.

He's only started 1 game this season (10 on as a sub) and worked with Clarke at Bristol Rovers for 5 seasons when they got back to back promotions into L1. 

His contract runs out in the summer, so might be available in January to get him off Pompey's wage bill?

36 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Here is a name to throw into the hat - Ellis Harrison - 27yo striker currently at Portsmouth.

He's only started 1 game this season (10 on as a sub) and worked with Clarke at Bristol Rovers for 5 seasons when they got back to back promotions into L1. 

His contract runs out in the summer, so might be available in January to get him off Pompey's wage bill?

I was doing a bit of reading on him too… apparently he is on eye watering money which could be a sticking point

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

With Pádraig (Podge) Amond being rumoured I have gotten over excited and started doing a bit of research.

This is the thread on him from the Exeter forum.

In summary, they love him and are desperate for him to stay.

- quality finisher

- amazing attitude

- great with the younger players on the dressing room

Unfortunately it sounds like he is keen to stay there based on this and are even looking at a perm move with a coaching role.

I dont even know where the Amond rumour has come from but i still cant see him being a target if i am honest

38 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

He has only been a bit part player for them for a few years as well so i am surprised he is on such big money

Advert:

15 hours ago, FriedRice said:

Fair enough Ill try and fit in with the majority of posts and just insult people or be a humourless cock  from now on

Yes you must try harder 🙂 pull your socks up 😜

16 hours ago, FriedRice said:

Fair enough Ill try and fit in with the majority of posts and just insult people or be a humourless cock  from now on

May I take this opportunity to wish my fellow humourless cocks a very Happy New Year. 😘

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Advert:

See Bolton have signed Dion Charles this morning from Accrington, presumably meaning that there could be something in the Doyle stuff, however I’d be really surprised if we were to sign him.

I’m sure Vale have irons in the fire, and there’s a lack of noise at the moment surrounding our transfer business, which is a good thing!