Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

I understand it’s a rumour but if we turn out to be one of the two, then no disrespect intended but playing for Dublins 3rd biggest club in a ground with less than 3000 seats in a 10 team summer league vs promotion charges in the football league? I understand he might have pressing family reasons to want to back to Dublin permanently but at 33 I bet he’d also like a last EFL automatic promotion medal and bonus if he could withstand another 5 months in England. 

If we are actually in for him then well done Vale.

Edited by Doha

Advert:

1 hour ago, tisdeano said:

Carol believes in the academy route hence the investment to get us to the next academy status , the academy is very much part of both short and long term plans

And I trust Carol's judgement entirely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tisdeano said:

Carol believes in the academy route hence the investment to get us to the next academy status , the academy is very much part of both short and long term plans

Correct.  Carol, Flickers and DC have all stated there are big plans for the academy.

Advert:

Pleasing to read Colin Garlick's words regarding the transfer window--it appears that plenty of preparation has been going on behind the scenes.  This is obviously good news and nothing less than I would expect under our much improved ownership philosophy and from David Flitcroft--this, after all, is what he's been brought in for and where he 'earns his keep' or otherwise, but it does sound reassuring that much 'homework' appears to have been done in preparation.  I look forward to the reveal of our new signings!

• Like 1

Advert:

These postponements are frustrating now but looking at the big picture it’s fantastic for Vale from a points perspective. By the time we get up and running again we may have long term injured players back, some deadwood shifted and Politic-standard players in to galvanise the team. We’ll look like the real, old Vale again unhampered by lots of issues. I think we’ll look back at the season and think it could have turned out so differently if we’d played these 5/6 games with bare bones and no strikers. Carol knows how close we are and what the squad is coping with at the moment, so there’s no way she’s going to be stingy at this stage, even with the recent loss in gate revenue. We are going up, we’re literally going to get promoted and I can’t wait.

Edited by 1

2 hours ago, FriedRice said:

Doesnt matter who it is we cant get a side to play against 

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Surely the fact that the opposition can't fulfil a fixture has absolutely nothing to do with our forward planning of playing resources? 

8 hours ago, tisdeano said:

I agree with Joe here, we’re slap bang in the catchment area of some very big, very well funded category 1 academies and we’ll never be able to go toe to toe with those clubs. We need to operate differently and be a lot cleverer.

Take Huddersfield for example, they actually downgraded from category 2 to 4 and now only take on kids in older age groups.

• Like 1

Advert:

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

...I find it idealistic that we can compete in this region for good players...a

I'm 100% behind the Academy - and the only discussion of any merit will be between the owners and management team, as to whether it's a sustainable project? We can't just throw extra money at the first team in case there's a  salary / spending cap. The idea that we can't compete for the better young players could be false? Maybe younger players will see Vale doing the right things...improving on and off the pitch...and be tempted to sign with us as against competing with dozens of others with a bigger club? In any case, if the owners decide we can afford it, and they're prepared to finance it in the interim period, then I think it will just be another step to the Vale becoming a better and more professional club!

• Like 2