Jump to content

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings


Doha

Recommended Posts

Advert:


1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

These things dont go unnoticed so sadly there will be bids in for him but i guess the plus point is we know that the majority of the money will go back into the playing budget

Well if TC was to leave at least we should get a decent price for him as he’s contracted until 2024. I think his immediate replacement should be Jake Taylor another player who is contracted to the club for a long time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the basis of the length of his remaining contract and the pandemic making clubs reluctant to lose players, I’d be disappointed if any successful bid for Conlon didn’t add up to at least £1m if I’m honest. 

I think he’ll be playing for us in league one next season however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


23 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Ryan Loft for £50k feels like a good signing!

I must admit a player I rate very highly at this level and I expect to go on to be a very very good L1 player. Certainly a striker I would love us to be in for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting interview from Colin Garlick with the Sentinel. A big hint looking to move players on not currently playing including the summer signings despite room in the squad.

I'm thinking Benning will go, if we can find someone to take on his wages, extend Amos as a cheaper back up to spend money up front. I would be very surprised not see movement at the back with either Legge or Martin moving on. I'm leaning towards Legge rather than Martin. I think its noticeable how much praise Martin has had from both the players and staff the way he conducts himself and helps others around him when not playing. 

Could be a very exciting January and defining moment in the season.

Edited by MBE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

No chance he will leave in Jan. We are in a promotion push. I just can’t see it. This is not the Smurfwaite era when anything will be flogged for a quick quid. 

There is a difference in selling him for a quick buck and purposefully locking him into a long contract to maximise his sale opportunity and then selling him for a significant fee which can be reinvested in the squad.

The whole point of the Pruhcess is to find players with good sell on capability in order to reinvest back into the squad.

Now, sell him and don’t reinvest and I agree it’s a bad move… but would you sell him for £750k and buy a quality striker, midfielder and centre half at £150k each… I would! 

Its also important to think about the messaging to other players. I can easily see a conversation with players that says “sign up now and if a big club comes in for you for the right price we won’t stand on your way”

Now if Gibbo is sitting there with a contract in front of him this Jan and we block Tom’s move when a good bid comes in… I can’t see him being impressed.

On the other hand if we can turn to Gibbo and say,”look what we did for Tom, he committed to us and we all ended up win win” then it would be a good message.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

There is a difference in selling him for a quick buck and purposefully locking him into a long contract to maximise his sale opportunity and then selling him for a significant fee which can be reinvested in the squad.

The whole point of the Pruhcess is to find players with good sell on capability in order to reinvest back into the squad.

Now, sell him and don’t reinvest and I agree it’s a bad move… but would you sell him for £750k and buy a quality striker, midfielder and centre half at £150k each… I would! 

Its also important to think about the messaging to other players. I can easily see a conversation with players that says “sign up now and if a big club comes in for you for the right price we won’t stand on your way”

Now if Gibbo is sitting there with a contract in front of him this Jan and we block Tom’s move when a good bid comes in… I can’t see him being impressed.

On the other hand if we can turn to Gibbo and say,”look what we did for Tom, he committed to us and we all ended up win win” then it would be a good message.

If Conlon does have a release clause(which he might well have with him being able to go on a free when we signed him up) i doubt it will be anywhere near 750k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


8 minutes ago, tisdeano said:


Totally agree but if a high end L1 club or lower end championship club comes knocking emoji2369.png

Can't see a Championship club coming in for him. He's too one footed for that. He struggles to make a pass over 5 feet, with the inside of his right foot, and he always, as in always dribbles with his left foot. Just look at all the pirouettes he ends up making, when he's looking for a pass under any type of pressure. He HAS to have it on his left foot, because he knows his right foot is too weak.

Mind, I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it! But I'm sure even Tom himself, would agree and that one of his focus points, is to get better with his right foot. 

Edited by Danish Valiant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

Can't see a Championship club coming in for him. He's too one footed for that. He struggles to make a pass over 5 feet, with the inside of his right foot, and he always, as in always dribbles with his left foot. Just look at all the pirouettes he ends up making, when he's looking for a pass. He HAS to have it on his left foot, because he knows his right foot is too weak.

Mind, I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it! But I'm sure even Tom himself, would agree and that one of his focus points, is to get better with his right foot. 

Always find it weird that left footed players get picked on for using their stronger foot, but nowt is said about right footers that nearly all do exactly the same. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be surprised if we’re not in for loft given our injuries. 50k for a player of his quality is a must, surely? 
 

RE Conlon, promotion or not if a championship side or large league 1 side like Sunderland came knocking I imagine he would want to move. There will be a release clause, just hope it’s something respectable as he’s a valuable player. The one positive for us, is that we are strong in that area. 

Edited by valiant_593

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Always find it weird that left footed players get picked on for using their stronger foot, but nowt is said about right footers that nearly all do exactly the same. 

I'm not picking on him, just sort of stating the obvious 🙃
And I'm left footed myself, if that matters at all, so I know all about how hard it is, to use your right foot! And statistically, it's harder for left footed players to learn to use their right foot, than the other way around. I don't know if that's just a myth, but I've heard that for 20 years, working at an academy 😊

But in Toms case, I think it's because he plays in such a significant role in our team, that he plays in the middle of the park and is sort of our 'playmaker'. So, at least to me, his pirouettes becomes more obvious and perhaps sometimes because it can take the momentum out of a counter attack, because it has to be on the right foot.

Edited by Danish Valiant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

No chance he will leave in Jan. We are in a promotion push. I just can’t see it. This is not the Smurfwaite era when anything will be flogged for a quick quid. 

I would certainly subscribe to your viewpoint and sincerely hope that we are right on this one.  It would definitely be counter-productive to lose him at this point in the season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


1 hour ago, Doha said:

On the basis of the length of his remaining contract and the pandemic making clubs reluctant to lose players, I’d be disappointed if any successful bid for Conlon didn’t add up to at least £1m if I’m honest. 

I think he’ll be playing for us in league one next season however. 

Doha, I totally agree, it would be nice to get promoted.My thoughts on TC leaving, were that it would be in the summer, definitely not in January. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see a Championship club coming in for him. He's too one footed for that. He struggles to make a pass over 5 feet, with the inside of his right foot, and he always, as in always dribbles with his left foot. Just look at all the pirouettes he ends up making, when he's looking for a pass under any type of pressure. He HAS to have it on his left foot, because he knows his right foot is too weak.
Mind, I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it! But I'm sure even Tom himself, would agree and that one of his focus points, is to get better with his right foot. 

You may be surprised
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...