Jump to content

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings


Doha

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Personally, if a player we're looking to bring in is more interested in what he can get, rather than the very real prospect of L1 football next season, then I'd rather not have him. We've had enough overpaid dross with an unrealistic perception of their own abilities over the past few years.

We wont sign a player who isn't here to buy into what DC and DF want

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

The ideal striker to sign now or in January is someone with a track record of playing and scoring in Lge's 1  and 2 who's capable of playing in Lge 1 next season. It's assumed that Proctor and Wilson will return and be fit for the rest of the season but this may not be the case. We have scored goals from all parts of the team but it's generally when Proctor and/or Wilson have been playing.

It's a big ask to find and find the money to finance such a player but if there ever was a time to push the boat out/be creative now is that time. There must be one or two quality Lge 1 goal scorers not getting a game for whatever reason who we could tempt with the real prospect of Lge 1 football next year, Vale only need one.

Not a moan just a question but who would you think will be available who has a proven record of scoring in Leagues One and Two? I do think we will bring at least one player who has a bit of experience but we have to think that we are a club that wants to bring players in to nurture and then hopefully sell on to help us progress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Lloyd is a busy player but it does make me wonder why we didn't take a little gamble and loaning a championship/Premier young striker,so not sure if we will head down that route in January,my guess is he will want a bit more proven player to fill in for the injured strikers
I think a big problem loaning players from higher up the pyramid is that they have high wages and you have to pay them if you don't play them. It is fine if they are good enough but as we see from playing the u21s in the cup they tend to be very raw and might not warrant a place in the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Not a moan just a question but who would you think will be available who has a proven record of scoring in Leagues One and Two? I do think we will bring at least one player who has a bit of experience but we have to think that we are a club that wants to bring players in to nurture and then hopefully sell on to help us progress

WSU, I agree with the reason for your question and tried to convey the same in my post. Simple answer is I do not know, James Norwood (Available in Jan) has previously been suggested and he would fit the bill but he'd be a huge ask but there must be someone else out there. DF/DC will know the score on who is and isn't available.

Vale have done so well this season and have a great chance of promotion but it would be unfortunate if injury to both main strikers prevented at least a top 7 finish. I agree about nurturing new players but for me the immediate goal is to get out of Lge 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

WSU, I agree with the reason for your question and tried to convey the same in my post. Simple answer is I do not know, James Norwood (Available in Jan) has previously been suggested and he would fit the bill but he'd be a huge ask but there must be someone else out there. DF/DC will know the score on who is and isn't available.

Vale have done so well this season and have a great chance of promotion but it would be unfortunate if injury to both main strikers prevented at least a top 7 finish. I agree about nurturing new players but for me the immediate goal is to get out of Lge 2.

Totally agree that the management team etc will have a target and will probably be close to sorting it tbh but i would be amazed if it was anyone like Norwood(his current wage is well beyond us and if he is after the wonga then we dont want him anyway). We still have cash available to DC to maybe even put bids in for players so i wont be ruling that out either

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he will wait for the window now, hoping for some bad weather in the coming weeks so we get a couple of games called off.  We definitely need some forward players lined up for when the window opens and i am sure there will be.  Interestingly Reading signed Andy Carroll a fortnight ago, his wages are £1000 a week due to Reading's finanical restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 03/12/2021 at 19:09, wotsyobeef said:

I think a big problem loaning players from higher up the pyramid is that they have high wages and you have to pay them if you don't play them. 

I remember a DC interview where he talks about this sort of thing, he doesn't take those kinds of signings on as a hard rule as he fundamentally disagrees with it, it's like letting another club pick your formation and line up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone listen to praise and grumble on the way home? A caller bought up the contract issue for smith and gibbons, saying we should make them really good offers to try and get them to stay. I’m pretty sure Yatesy said that other clubs were already looking at gibbo.

For me if we make those 2 players an offer they should become 2 of our highest paid players because they are that important to us. However I think(fear) they will hold out to see if what interest comes along. Can’t them in that regard, but we need to do our best to try and persuade them. 

Edited by PV1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Did anyone listen to praise and grumble on the way home? A caller bought up the contract issue for smith and gibbons, saying we should make them really good offers to try and get them to stay. I’m pretty sure Yatesy said that other clubs were already looking at gibbo.

For me if we make those 2 players an offer they should become 2 of our highest paid players because they are that important to us. However I think(fear) they will hold out to see if what interest comes along. Can’t them in that regard, but we need to do our best to try and persuade them. 

As i said yesterday there is a lot of interest in Gibbons and i wont be shocked to see him move in January or we lose him for nothing in the summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

As i said yesterday there is a lot of interest in Gibbons and i wont be shocked to see him move in January or we lose him for nothing in the summer

I missed that post yesterday. Interest you know about or assumed because he’s playing so well? But I thought it was a great point yesterday that may end up being out of our hands anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...