Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

55 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Got to be underage i think due to squad cap or wouldn't have been a bad option as cover.

I'm not saying it should be Calvin Andrew but on this other thread, it appears we already have room in the squad for two over 21 players.

1 hour ago, robf said:

I'm not saying it should be Calvin Andrew but on this other thread, it appears we already have room in the squad for two over 21 players.

In that case an option but the only worry with free agents is fitness... if it take 3-4 weeks to get up to speed it would be pretty pointless.

6 hours ago, butt lane vale fan said:

Please don't tell me your serious Jo. A bigger Donkey than Jordan Slew. 

Even Barrow got rid of him from Non League 🤣

Nah, I may not be Calvin’s biggest fan but he has had a far better career than Slew. He had more seasons in league 1 when he left Vale than Vale did. 

He is completely past it now but he was part of a great promotion side and was a respectable back-up. 

I was just wondering if Politic will leave Bolton in January and a deal has been done for him? Not by us but another club.

After his great cameo performances he's flattered to deceive recently whether that's catching up with injury or his mind is elsewhere.

On his current form he wouldn't be much of a miss unless DC has a master plan?

Politic needs to be played out wide.

He's only started 3 games for us, and only one of them on the left wing - shockingly, he was excellent in a 3-0 win against Colchester.

The other two starts, he's been played centrally (Crawley and Walsall where he was moved to striker after 15 minutes), which is absolutely pointless for a player who is about 5"6 and strengths lie in isolating full backs and beating them before hammering crosses in. 

Politic has been a victim of our wing-back system + our injuries to strikers, meaning when he plays, he often plays through the middle. 

The one time we've employed him from the start as proper left winger, he was excellent. I don't think his performances have anything to do with injuries, lack of focus, or a potential move, just that we're asking a tricky, small winger to play through the middle, sometimes alongside another winger.

I have no doubts that he is a very good League 2 footballer if played out wide. The question is whether we are willing to accommodate him in this respect by changing a successful system, or whether he'll move to a club who can guarantee starts on the wing.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

On 26/11/2021 at 16:13, Guitar Ray said:

We’ve got irons in the fire for January.

Clarke: ”We are already on it. I have an unbelievable director of football, Flickers (David Flitcroft). We are ahead of recruitment. I know now what business I want to be doing. That is what this club should look like in my opinion, having one or two things that in every window needs to be freshened up. Certainly with one or two injuries in the front line, you look at, that needs to be freshened up. We are working hard. We have Tommy (Johnson) head of recruitment. He is a top man at his work. This is fair play to the owners yet again, backing this to keep building that profile so you are not making those last minute phone calls to try to get deals done. We are working hard to make sure the tweaks that need to be made in the window, in the next six weeks, we are ready for it.”

Sounds promising.

We should have enough quality defensively, Legge will come back in. Dealing with crosses is a coaching issue whoever plays. midfield is strong. Up top we need and experienced striker to push us over the line. trust the process. I don't normally but will this time. Investment in time, recruitment and scouting is apparent and looks pretty spot on.