Jump to content

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings


Doha

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, dishydave said:

There doesn't seem to be any stand out goalkeepers released by other clubs to replace brown

Do we have to get released players?

For instance, last season, we took over the contract of Whitehead when he was still under contract at Salford. Yes, that move wasn't a success but that's not the point. In January, we also paid a fee for Jake Taylor. We even paid a fee for our manager.

So, I don't think it's necessarily released players we will be looking at (although there are lots of them this summer).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, robf said:

Do we have to get released players?

For instance, last season, we took over the contract of Whitehead when he was still under contract at Salford. Yes, that move wasn't a success but that's not the point. In January, we also paid a fee for Jake Taylor. We even paid a fee for our manager.

So, I don't think it's necessarily released players we will be looking at (although there are lots of them this summer).

We could also pinch players from clubs that have been offered new deals but are out of contract

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

A lot of money to shell out on a back up, whichever of them doesn't start.
 

He signed out of contract from Barrow. Just because he was at that embarrassment of a club Salford doesn't mean he was on daft money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there's going to be an ability pyramid of players, with maybe a few quality league 2 players a the top, serviceable players in the middle and squad players at the bottom. not all of those signed to replace the 15 will be world beaters. the question is will the first signings represent the top, middle or base of that pyramid. none of us will know until the final group is clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Does Dan Jones potentially signing suggest that the Mal Benning thing never had any real substance?

I believe the most likely destination for Benning is league 1. Mansfield turned down transfer fees for him in January from league 1 clubs. I'd be shocked if we haven't put in an enquiry. I'd be pleased but very surprised if we get him.

Jones did play well against us and I believe did well generally at Harrogate. I think he's probably a little more suited to left wingback than Chris Stokes; who I think is more of a solid defender. It wouldn't surprise me if we are in for both as Stokes seems capable of playing on the left of a back 3.

Other than those 3 nothing jumps out at me from the players released, or offered new deals for the left side of defence. Benning would be an upgrade, the other 2 would probably do a job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Time Tom

Brilliant Tom

 

Tom is the little dot all the way out to the right indicating he is an accuracy machine 

Beautiful. He plays an above average amount of progresses passes per game (pass that moves the ball 25% closer to the opposition's goal) and is, by a wide margin, the most accurate with these types of passes. Superb stat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Beautiful. He plays an above average amount of progresses passes per game (pass that moves the ball 25% closer to the opposition's goal) and is, by a wide margin, the most accurate with these types of passes. Superb stat.

He is classed as a holding midfielder in that list, potentially why it looks like a small sample size.... It may look a different picture if you add all other central mids.

Either way... lovely stats.

Tiiiiiiiiime Tom.... Brilliant Tom

Edited by Iron Curtain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Sunderland have released Max Power. Always liked him at Tranmere, only 27 with loads of league one experience. Probably out of reach for us regarding wages, but the sort of player to improve the team, if we could stretch the budget! Also captain at Sunderland so another potential leader on the pitch!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2021 at 18:17, LancyTony said:

I would expect around 10 players to join us - certainly don't need as many replacements as those we've let go - so...2 a week? We've been known to sign 3 over a couple of days. 

Maybe? But 5 days on from your post and still we've had no definite news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people so hung up on the fact weve not signed anyone yet. The season has only just finished. It is perfectly normal to have notsigned anyone now. Players will be taking a rest after a long season also its perfectly normal for players to wait a few weeks to see what options they have. As the club will do, we will weigh up all our options. There is no rush relax people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Why are people so hung up on the fact weve not signed anyone yet. The season has only just finished. It is perfectly normal to have notsigned anyone now. Players will be taking a rest after a long season also its perfectly normal for players to wait a few weeks to see what options they have. As the club will do, we will weigh up all our options. There is no rush relax people. 

L2 clubs have signed 7 players, (Bristol R 4) up to now . If 24 clubs sign an average of 10, that is 240 -7 = 233, there are lots of signings to be made.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...