Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

14 hours ago, dishydave said:

There doesn't seem to be any stand out goalkeepers released by other clubs to replace brown

Do we have to get released players?

For instance, last season, we took over the contract of Whitehead when he was still under contract at Salford. Yes, that move wasn't a success but that's not the point. In January, we also paid a fee for Jake Taylor. We even paid a fee for our manager.

So, I don't think it's necessarily released players we will be looking at (although there are lots of them this summer).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robf said:

Do we have to get released players?

For instance, last season, we took over the contract of Whitehead when he was still under contract at Salford. Yes, that move wasn't a success but that's not the point. In January, we also paid a fee for Jake Taylor. We even paid a fee for our manager.

So, I don't think it's necessarily released players we will be looking at (although there are lots of them this summer).

We could also pinch players from clubs that have been offered new deals but are out of contract

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

A lot of money to shell out on a back up, whichever of them doesn't start.

He signed out of contract from Barrow. Just because he was at that embarrassment of a club Salford doesn't mean he was on daft money. 

there's going to be an ability pyramid of players, with maybe a few quality league 2 players a the top, serviceable players in the middle and squad players at the bottom. not all of those signed to replace the 15 will be world beaters. the question is will the first signings represent the top, middle or base of that pyramid. none of us will know until the final group is clear.

26 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Does Dan Jones potentially signing suggest that the Mal Benning thing never had any real substance?

I believe the most likely destination for Benning is league 1. Mansfield turned down transfer fees for him in January from league 1 clubs. I'd be shocked if we haven't put in an enquiry. I'd be pleased but very surprised if we get him.

Jones did play well against us and I believe did well generally at Harrogate. I think he's probably a little more suited to left wingback than Chris Stokes; who I think is more of a solid defender. It wouldn't surprise me if we are in for both as Stokes seems capable of playing on the left of a back 3.

Other than those 3 nothing jumps out at me from the players released, or offered new deals for the left side of defence. Benning would be an upgrade, the other 2 would probably do a job.

24 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Time Tom

Brilliant Tom

Tom is the little dot all the way out to the right indicating he is an accuracy machine 

Beautiful. He plays an above average amount of progresses passes per game (pass that moves the ball 25% closer to the opposition's goal) and is, by a wide margin, the most accurate with these types of passes. Superb stat.

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Beautiful. He plays an above average amount of progresses passes per game (pass that moves the ball 25% closer to the opposition's goal) and is, by a wide margin, the most accurate with these types of passes. Superb stat.

He is classed as a holding midfielder in that list, potentially why it looks like a small sample size.... It may look a different picture if you add all other central mids.

Either way... lovely stats.

Tiiiiiiiiime Tom.... Brilliant Tom

Edited by Iron Curtain

I see that Sunderland have released Max Power. Always liked him at Tranmere, only 27 with loads of league one experience. Probably out of reach for us regarding wages, but the sort of player to improve the team, if we could stretch the budget! Also captain at Sunderland so another potential leader on the pitch!

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 18:17, LancyTony said:

I would expect around 10 players to join us - certainly don't need as many replacements as those we've let go - so...2 a week? We've been known to sign 3 over a couple of days. 

Maybe? But 5 days on from your post and still we've had no definite news.

Why are people so hung up on the fact weve not signed anyone yet. The season has only just finished. It is perfectly normal to have notsigned anyone now. Players will be taking a rest after a long season also its perfectly normal for players to wait a few weeks to see what options they have. As the club will do, we will weigh up all our options. There is no rush relax people. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Why are people so hung up on the fact weve not signed anyone yet. The season has only just finished. It is perfectly normal to have notsigned anyone now. Players will be taking a rest after a long season also its perfectly normal for players to wait a few weeks to see what options they have. As the club will do, we will weigh up all our options. There is no rush relax people. 

L2 clubs have signed 7 players, (Bristol R 4) up to now . If 24 clubs sign an average of 10, that is 240 -7 = 233, there are lots of signings to be made.  

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings