Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

1 hour ago, wotsyobeef said:

Do we really need another centre half?

We have Jones, Smith, Johnson, Martin and Cass who all play centre half

We have Worrall, Gibbons, Benning and Hurst who can play wing back (excluding Jones and Cass)

If we are really struggling we also have Walker who could drop back as short term cover at centre half.

We also have Rodney, Politic and Amoo who could play on the wing if we were in a really bad way and had to switch to 4 at the back.

Another centre half feels like a bit of a luxury to me.

Based on the above, maybe it could be the Donny fullback then?

Someone above in the thread said that Solanke played the majority of U23 games at centre back and the defensive midfielder can play across the back four...that being said wasn't a decision made not to sign Solanke who then left the club after pre-season....the player mentioned has been at the club a couple of weeks and is in the building which sounds like the Donny fullback.

Thoughts....the other night both Cass and Johnson were at times going outside the wing back on an overlap(copyright Sheff UTD)and like Smith and Jones can play full back.....if Jones and Smith are first choice although Cass is quality then the right wing back is between Worrall and Gibbons and perhaps the Donny lad is cover for Benning although Hurst has played many games at wing back.

Thinking it must be the left back as Solanke as noted has left the area.

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Another attacking winger for me, can’t have too many.

Has Otis Khan rocked up anywhere yet? Played at fullback quite a few games for Tranmere last season.

Edited by Guitar Ray
Typo

16 minutes ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

Talented player, but we don’t want troublemakers:)

Correct. When we played Yeovil a couple of seasons ago at VP, I was really impressed with his energy and creativity. Since then he’s moved on from Yeovil, spending time at Mansfield when they splashed the cash and did nothing. I totally agree with your comment wholeheartedly. Perhaps because he started off at MUFC. I’m sure I read he’d been offered the chance to represent Pakistan, but turned it down as he thinks he’s capable of playing for the England national team.  

Pleased with that! Surprised we haven't given him until the end of the season though, I've heard really good things about him from a couple of Donny fans that I know who reckon he's destined to end up championship or higher.

Donny fans were absolutely apoplectic when he was released (all but 3 responses to the 'retained list' tweet express dismay). 

Right age and allows Jones to focus on CB. Backup and, if any good, a successor to Benning who is out of contract next summer. If not, he's gone in January.

He's fit and embedded in the squad already. Just a sensible signing. Assume Crosby knows him from NI days too.

Edited by Joe B

Pleased with that! Surprised we haven't given him until the end of the season though, I've heard really good things about him from a couple of Donny fans that I know who reckon he's destined to end up championship or higher.
Makes you wonder, if that's the case, why he hasn't found a club before now?

I don’t think it would do much good for the team or himself if Jones was moved around from LWB to LCB and back again depending on who’s available and who isn’t. I’d like to see him in a settled position for the sake of continuity. 

Edited by Santa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
11 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Makes you wonder, if that's the case, why he hasn't found a club before now?

Hard to say, but he didn't get much game time at Doncaster and we snapped him up on trial quite quickly due to link with Crosby so it might be just a bit of luck that we've got him. You always have to take what others say with a pinch of salt (see Ben Garrity) but they were glowing about him and lots of other Donny fans seem to like him too.  On the flip side, Doncaster decided to release him so the people who were working with him every day obviously didn't agree. Lets hope he does well for us. UTV!

• Like 1

Sounds good going off donny comments in the league above. Think the back 5 will be how we play for the majority of the season with the numbers we have back there. Imagine Jones will now be the starter at LCB with benning LWB and Amos as cover. As above Jones has been excellent everywhere so far but I’d like to see him given one position (LCB) and stick to it.