Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Seems a complete waste of a signing IMO. Why would a young lad with virtually no goalscoring record, who is being let go on loan by the might of Cheltenham, get a game ahead of Wilson, Proctor, Rodney and even Amoo?

Pointless exercise after the manager had said he wouldn’t “squad fill for the sake of it”.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

Seems a complete waste of a signing IMO. Why would a young lad with virtually no goalscoring record, who is being let go on loan by the might of Cheltenham, get a game ahead of Wilson, Proctor, Rodney and even Amoo?

Pointless exercise after the manager had said he wouldn’t “squad fill for the sake of it”.

Good point to be fair

• Like 1

Reading some Twitter comments from Cheltenham fans and they mainly all just say he's a "hard worker".

Seems a bit of a weird signing on paper?

Eden Bailey would run around and work hard!

But instead we're potentially developing another club's player!

2 hours ago, tisdeano said:

I’m going to be really old fashioned here and actually wait to see him play before judging

No the sweet spot is to make a judgement having previously never heard of the player, look at his stats, form an opinion based on that and stick to it. Here’s the sprinkles that you must always remember: if they turn out to be brilliant, don’t change your original judgement, just continue to justify it regardless of how insane it now looks. Works with managers too. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Strange signing but will back the lad & wish him lots of luck & success with us. Had a lot of game time for a young lad & looks to be particularly good at working hard & hassling defenders into giving the ball away, good energy. Doesn't surprise me that he's made lots of sub appearances, as he looks like the kind of lad who can rat about in the final 20 minutes of a game when defenders are tiring.

Clarke has been quoted as saying, "He’s a striker that optimises what I want in my centre-forwards, he works hard, he’s a grafter..."

I want goals from my centre forwards, DC. Work rate only gets you so far, especially as a striker. Let's hope he can bag some for us.

As soon as Clarke said he'd missed out on a couple of targets he was after, I knew we'd be left underwhelmed, but it is what it is. Let's give him a chance.

Edited by ValeForever.

44 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

He's probably going to be fourth choice. We're not going to sign anyone that's more than decent at this stage of the season, so it was always going to be a youngster with potential. His career record looks far from great but 70% of his appearances are from the bench, no doubt getting only 5 or 10 minutes here and there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I want goals from my centre forwards, DC.

And so does every single other club in the country, and there's your problem. We signed our main forwards weeks ago.

• Like 1

What were people expecting. We have 3 good league 2 strikers. Proctor has generally played at a higher level, Wilson's career has been on a downward trajectory but is our main striker and has found a level where he is confortable, Rodney is lively, has potential and did well last year. We aren't going to sign someone to move them down the order. This lad is young was good enough to get 30 odd appearance in the best team in this league last year. None of Cheltenham's forwards scored freely last year. Lets see what he offers, it's very rare for a player that age to play the number of games he has and when they do its not usually until later in their careers that they have the high scoring seasons.

• Like 8

I too shall be old fashioned and wait to see him play, I may even push it a tad further and not expect him to score 6 on his debut. The main reason for my patience is the fact I am not a football manager, never have been never will be and to be honest I can’t even play the game that well, I never even had a trial or had my budding career cut short in a sentinel cup fixture.

welcome to the Vale do your best every game you play and that will do for me.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

Exactly

Agree. It’s going to be a rotation of Proctor, Wilson and Rodney in the main, with Amoo and this lad to provide backup. I know we haven’t been prolific so far, but I’m confident there is goals in our 3 main strikers.

I’ve got a weird feeling that Proctor is going to score 20+ this season. By his own admissions he has had a difficult 4 years with injuries. Also, you don’t get a move to a Championship team by being an average league 2 player. He looks fit and hungry from what I’ve seen. I’m backing him to be the surprise package.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Good luck to him. As above it does seem an odd signing and I’m not sure who / if he will replace on the bench? 

DC has already admitted that he has lost out on other potential targets, then bigs up the fact he needs specific criteria for a striker. He then signs a relative unknown with no scoring record.

Other than praising his work rate I’m really not sure what he will bring to the squad. I genuinely thought that he was going to try and get someone more physical upfront. I’m sure DC will dress this up as a great signing, which he may be, but he is similar to what we already have isn’t he?

7 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Agree. It’s going to be a rotation of Proctor, Wilson and Rodney in the main, with Amoo and this lad to provide backup. I know we haven’t been prolific so far, but I’m confident there is goals in our 3 main strikers.

I’ve got a weird feeling that Proctor is going to score 20+ this season. By his own admissions he has had a difficult 4 years with injuries. Also, you don’t get a move to a Championship team by being an average league 2 player. He looks fit and hungry from what I’ve seen. I’m backing him to be the surprise package.  

I think Proctor is our best hope as he is the most likely who looks like scoring.