Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

1 hour ago, Dr Delgado said:

Not sure people understand fully how young players develop. Whilst maybe not bursting onto the scene in a blaze of glory, Hurst has made steady progress, especially in relation to his strength on the ball as earlier in the season he was tending to get out muscled. Clarke obviously has seen something in him to offer him a new contract. I find some of the comments harsh and dismissive and I for one think he may prove one or two doubters wrong. If the shot he had against Mansfield in our last home game of the season had burst the net and not rattled off the bar then I don't think you would be saying he shouldn't be in the squad or he is awful. Young players need to be carefully managed, be given adequate game time and supported then maybe one of these days we might sell one for a few quid.   

Not sure if it was Clarke who offered him the new contract.

• Like 2

I'm with Dr Delgado here.  As an example, look at Harrison at Leeds.  His first season he was distinctly average and unable to get much game time.  When he did play Leeds fans constantly slated him as not good enough. In season 3 he scored 11 and registered 14 assists.  A top player, who has been given the time and coaching to develop. 

Who's to say Hurst might not do something similar?

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

I'm with Dr Delgado here.  As an example, look at Harrison at Leeds.  His first season he was distinctly average and unable to get much game time.  When he did play Leeds fans constantly slated him as not good enough. In season 3 he scored 11 and registered 14 assists.  A top player, who has been given the time and coaching to develop. 

Who's to say Hurst might not do something similar?

I'd rather we give time to assess this season's Hurst, rather than start slagging him off on a previous version - which not everybody thought was bad! Usual Vale fan thing - don't give someone time! Incidentally - how was Shodipo the other night?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I see some of John Robertson's game (Ex Forest winger) in that of Alex Hurst. I'm not saying he will be as good as Robbo but Hurst has fast acceleration over 5-10yards to make space for a cross and has a low center of gravity and he is no slouch over longer distances. He can move the ball from foot to foot very quickly and can cross with either foot. He may well surprise a few people this year especially if he gets confident.

Edited by Paul6754
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Game of opinions, but I rate Hurst. He's two footed and brave enough to take on a man. Good attitude too. Would love to see the lad do well.

If you don't agree, that's cool, but don't make him the scapegoat we seem to seek out every year.

I think he will have stiff competition for the yellow jersey this season. First of the new signings to make a big error in a game will be seriously in the running.

• Like 1

Solanke is still training with us and will feature in a behind closed doors training game against the youth team today. He may also feature against Chesterfield.

Griffiths has been released.

On 28/07/2021 at 13:32, Joe B said:

I know things have improved down there but Brett Pitman's one year deal with Swindon expired this summer and there has been no word at all as to whether he's extended or signed elsewhere (rumours he's left).

A proper lower-league bagsman who would be a lovely complement to our existing strikers. 

Pittman has just signed for Bristol Rovers 

Hurst performed well last season. There was that patch around the time askey got sacked that he genuinely seemed like the only interested player and atleast offered us something. Definitely enough to work with and glad we offered him a contract. Just hope we have a plan for him that gets him enough game time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I though Hurst's form only suffered once he was asked to do a more defensive role. When more advanced he stood out as a bright spark, got into advanced positions and often made space for a cross. When he played more defensively he did his job but was unable to provide the required support in attack, and didn't stand out. I don't think he is that pacey, his legs move quickly but he doesn't cover that much ground with each stride. I am optimistic that he can be developed into a good player but I don't think he is a wing back.

• Like 1