Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Andy Caroll would be a good signing....would smash league 2
Offer some route into coaching, you never know.

What is Vale fans' obsession with offering any player over 30 a coaching role? Pope, Brown and Legge are the most recent suggestions. We've tried inexperienced coaches (a la Pugh and Sinclair) and it's failed. Just because a player was decent doesn't mean they'll be a good coach or manager. I'd rather us not be a training academy for any player who wants to try his hand at coaching. That's not to say there won't be exceptions, but if we're serious about building a younger squad and bringing through youngsters from our academy, we need experienced coaches who have a proven track record of doing just that
  • Like 4

He may have developed enormously over the summer but I'm not sure I'd be buzzing at seeing Hurst starting on the LW against Northampton. I'm hoping to see a new one in place preferably before the 7th rather than a few games in.   

• Like 2

Genuinely excited for the coming season. DC must be counting his lucky stars at how he has been given such an opportunity to mold his own squad. Some solid additions who should be steady. My main concern is that we are lacking a cutting edge but that may well change before kick off.

Hard working teams that can't score can give up and lose their way. Hard working teams with a cutting edge can do very well.

We're part way there.

• Like 2

The "left footed winger" that DC wants is an interesting one as there aren't many available on a free.

Looking at players currently without a club that fit that description leads me on to:

Zeli Ismail - 27yo released by Bradford this summer. A player I've always liked the look of but has never really pushed on with a career to match his ability. 

Rob Hall - 27yo released by Oxford this summer. Karl Robinson hasn’t ruled out re-signing him this summer but maybe we could swoop before he gets that chance? Has played most of his career at L1 level.

That's probably about it as far as I can see unless it's a loan signing!

It’s a tough sell getting a left winger to come when we look like we’re going to play 3-5-2 predominantly and we looked well stocked with wing backs.

I wouldn't look to much into the comments of making the signings by the end of August.

It tells players that we are currently in talks with that we are happy to go elsewhere if they mess us about and are in no hurry to sign anyone.

It also quells any fans fears if we haven't signed anyone else in time for the Northampton game. 

I am sure if the opportunity arrives we would sign the players we require tomorrow but don't want to send the message that we are desperate and be forced to overpay. For all we know we could be chasing a player who doesn't play LW or ST but are trying to send the message to them and their agent that we are prioritising other areas and would only sign them at the right price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doha said:

He may have developed enormously over the summer but I'm not sure I'd be buzzing at seeing Hurst starting on the LW against Northampton. I'm hoping to see a new one in place preferably before the 7th rather than a few games in.   

Shouldn’t be in the squad

• Like 2

I don’t see how we can go into the new season with 3 out and out wingers, that’s if you put Woz in that category. I prefer him as a wandering 10, but I acknowledge he is probably more popular as a tricky winger putting in crosses. That leaves Amoo, who many would have tried to buy out and few would say is good enough to play regularly, fewer still would call a starter. He has talent no doubt but I would feel nervous relying on him. Then Hurst, who is a developing player whoI would loan out tbh. DC seems to be relying on Benning, Jones, Gibbo etc. to do it all down the sides. We’ll see I guess.

Posted (edited)

I can see a lot of draws this season. There’s a huge amount of pressure on Rodney because fans will expect him to repeat and surpass last season’s tally. Wilson isn’t under that same pressure from Vale, only pressure to reignite his own career, which is different.

Edited by 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:
Shouldn’t be in the squad

Very harsh and unfair. He was our sole bright spark during that awful run last season

No he wasn’t he was awful.

21 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Statistically we have released 4 strikers with a total of 330+ league goals between them and brought in two strikers with less than 50 league goals between them. But it means nothing of course.

Well gee - I wonder if their ages might be why they've scored more goals? While you're into slyly slagging us off with duff stats - how do these 2 groups of strikers compare for games played?

1 minute ago, LancyTony said:

Well gee - I wonder if their ages might be why they've scored more goals? While you're into slyly slagging us off with duff stats - how do these 2 groups of strikers compare for games played?

The real comparison is how many goals they would have scored for the Vale as against the number of goals their replacements will score in the coming season. I

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

The real comparison is how many goals they would have scored for the Vale as against the number of goals their replacements will score in the coming season. I

If we have a good season no one will give a monkeys where the goals come from. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, geoff1 said:

notice nevitt has gone to tranmere. (vale were after him apparently)😉:drink:

We were never in for him.

Good move for him, local club and he may get some minutes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

Not sure people understand fully how young players develop. Whilst maybe not bursting onto the scene in a blaze of glory, Hurst has made steady progress, especially in relation to his strength on the ball as earlier in the season he was tending to get out muscled. Clarke obviously has seen something in him to offer him a new contract. I find some of the comments harsh and dismissive and I for one think he may prove one or two doubters wrong. If the shot he had against Mansfield in our last home game of the season had burst the net and not rattled off the bar then I don't think you would be saying he shouldn't be in the squad or he is awful. Young players need to be carefully managed, be given adequate game time and supported then maybe one of these days we might sell one for a few quid.   

Maybe we will see one in the future but it won’t be Hurst.