Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I would struggle to name a genuinely pacey player in league 2 that plays in the defensive midfield role.

There won't be many (any?) but that's not the point, it's having enough pace in there that when our attack breaks down with the team high up the pitch our midfield isn't bypassed, leaving the defence either outnumbered or overly stretched.  I felt it happened a bit too often last season and you do have to be athletic on our pitch.  Maybe it'll be a bit different this with both Pett and Walker sitting in but I don't see either of those two, or Conlon,  keeping up with some rivals in a foot race from box to box.

As I said, more of a thought than a worry at this point.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Statistically we have released 4 strikers with a total of 330+ league goals between them and brought in two strikers with less than 50 league goals between them. But it means nothing of course.

The only stat that will matter is how many our 2 new strikers score compared to the 4 released strikers at the end of this coming season, and at what level those goals were scored.  Time will tell.

8 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Statistically we have released 4 strikers with a total of 330+ league goals between them and brought in two strikers with less than 50 league goals between them. But it means nothing of course.

Yes I am a bit concerned about up front as Rodney's a 1 in 5 player odd which isn't bad but I think he is more effective as a wing player he seems more of a threat there .

I cannot tell you about James Wilson I mean he was at Man Utd which not seems that long ago ,surely he as the ability to score and create (one hopes so anyway ).

Proctor no knowledge whatsoever of the lad hope he can be a asset. 

Bailey is young and inexperienced however if you are good enough you are old enough (maybe in front of a crowd a supportive one he could be something else ,in a very good way .

So that's the thrust of the team lets hope they find tge onion bag regularly (not the one for cooking or putting back into refrigerator lol ).

Still feel we need another striker and a wide player like J jeffers or S Guppy who can light up  a game by doing something tremendous .

10 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Your right it means nothing. 

• Like 4

And less than 30 of those have been scored in the last 2 seasons. Hardly irreplaceable
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, philmpv said:
59 minutes ago, robf said:

Let's hope our late business is better than last seasons. Theo and McKirdy wasn't it?

I wonder if waiting is to do with the three transfer listed players? If there were late moves out for the likes of Theo then it may conceivably free up more money... If they can be moved on then there's the wages to splash out on a more high profile name - if they can't be moved on then a cheaper loan may be more realistic.

• Like 3

Let’s hope that their agents pull their fingers out and find them clubs that will offer them first team football!

Let’s face it, in a years time, without any first term football behind them, they will be even less attractive to other clubs and probably won’t be able to get as much wages etc.

I agree though Rob, it could be that if we can move on those 3 players - more wages to attract a couple of ‘good’ signings.

Darrell must know what he’s doing and obviously remains patient. Good job I’m not in charge, I’d be flapping about all over the gaff by now trying to sign a couple of lads.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think we might have spent our 'experienced striker' budget now. Playing a patient game is a wise move by DC. A top-end prem youngster on loan or a non-league goal machine would be a decent result.

I just don't see the value in another 'experienced' 1-in-6 league striker.

Edited by Moz
  • Like 1

So a left winger and a centre forward by the August deadline but if only two more signings where does that leave the trialists.....don't know much about the other midfielder on trial but Solanke seemed nailed on as cover for Walker at defensive midfield after all the new manager criticism of the Askey squad for only having one defensive midfielder also that left back on trial.....seemingly they have already left the building or having read that are packing their bags.

So anyway it is back to a left winger and a striker as it was weeks back.....Molyneux and Tshimanga seemed like good available options and even maybe Swan on loan.....it must all have something to do with budget and the three transfer listed players.

If the three find new clubs  the wages will go on a left winger and a striker but if they get a mutual agreement percentage pay off then maybe only one player and probably just a loan or some such and it looks likely that the situation with the transfer listed three is holding things up and maybe the club has missed out on targets.

Got to say the left winger seems an odd call now unless they can play wing back as it looks like three at the back with wing backs for the majority of the season and apart from having the option and in the odd one or two games actually playing wingers it does look like wingless wonders are us....Worrall and Hurst can play wing back but Amoo looks surplus as would another winger...would any funds best be spent on a striker and a good one at that.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

So a left winger and a centre forward by the August deadline but if only two more signings where does that leave the trialists.....don't know much about the other midfielder on trial but Solanke seemed nailed on as cover for Walker at defensive midfield after all the new manager criticism of the Askey squad for only having one defensive midfielder also that left back on trial.....seemingly they have already left the building or having read that are packing their bags.

So anyway it is back to a left winger and a striker as it was weeks back.....Molyneux and Tshimanga seemed like good available options and even maybe Swan on loan.....it must all have something to do with budget and the three transfer listed players.

If the three find new clubs  the wages will go on a left winger and a striker but if they get a mutual agreement percentage pay off then maybe only one player and probably just a loan or some such and it looks likely that the situation with the transfer listed three is holding things up and maybe the club has missed out on targets.

Got to say the left winger seems an odd call now unless they can play wing back as it looks like three at the back with wing backs for the majority of the season and apart from having the option and in the odd one or two games actually playing wingers it does look like wingless wonders are us....Worrall and Hurst can play wing back but Amoo looks surplus as would another winger...would any funds best be spent on a striker and a good one at that.

Think it's key we have the option to play with wingers if needed. That's why Amoo is still about. For all his flaws, and there are many, he's a proper winger and is a nice weapon to have if the system needs changing. 

Hurst needs regular minutes and I don't think he's getting them here; Jones and Benning will be the left wing back options, and Worrall and Amoo are first choice wingers (+ the new winger coming in, who will be left sided according to Clarke). For all of his positives in terms of application and pace, technically I think he's a long way off and loan may be best for him.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

I guess the flip side is that if a good LW joins then that then gives the option of also playing a straightforward 4-4-2 if needs be with Worrall and the new winger on the flanks. That sort of formation may suit Proctor, for instance. Similarly, a left-sided player may be useful for three upfront if we don't want to move Rodney wide. 

However, I do agree that the striker signing looks the priority of the two. I wonder if Amoo is going to be a "super sub" - bring him on with his power and pace in the closing stages of games?