Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Advert:

Who would of thought the only player we released that would get a proper league squad berth would be Zak Mills. Madness.

I guess it vindicates DC's slash and burn approach this summer, looking forward to the new season and wish Popey all the best at Congleton. Popey, Griff, Duffy and Gary Roberts... its gonna be some Christmas party!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Who would of thought the only player we released that would get a proper league squad berth would be Zak Mills. Madness.

I guess it vindicates DC's slash and burn approach this summer, looking forward to the new season and wish Popey all the best at Congleton. Popey, Griff, Duffy and Gary Roberts... its gonna be some Christmas party!

If it’s not going well it won’t last till Christmas. Whoever is funding this will expect results.

As I’ve said on another thread let’s hope they go on a great run in the FA Cup, and we can welcome them back at Vale Park in the First Round Proper! 

12 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I guess it vindicates DC's slash and burn approach this summer.

I don’t think it vindicates his decision because other league 2 clubs haven’t picked them all up. If Zak mills is the exception in getting a deal in league 2 that tells you that something isn’t right. Hasnt McKirdy got a deal at Swindon too? I think it shows the amount of players out of contract mean it’s a buyers market and they have the pick, the clubs are holding the cards at the moment with salaries because of the state of the market and also there’s a lot of money sloshing around in the conference too where clubs aren’t paying far off what we were are. 

Advert:

35 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I don’t think it vindicates his decision because other league 2 clubs haven’t picked them all up. If Zak mills is the exception in getting a deal in league 2 that tells you that something isn’t right. Hasnt McKirdy got a deal at Swindon too? I think it shows the amount of players out of contract mean it’s a buyers market and they have the pick, the clubs are holding the cards at the moment with salaries because of the state of the market and also there’s a lot of money sloshing around in the conference too where clubs aren’t paying far off what we were are. 

I think I follow what you're saying but if our highest profile players from last year have gone to Exeter as a coach, Fylde and Congleton, I think it vindicates our decision to release the lot.  

Not sure if McKirdy has signed or if he's on trial.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I think I follow what you're saying but if our highest profile players from last year have gone to Exeter as a coach, Fylde and Congleton, I think it vindicates our decision to release the lot.  

Not sure if McKirdy has signed or if he's on trial.

i believe that 5 of those released were on a lot  of money (monty, brown, Joyce, Pope, cullen). I think that by getting rid of those high earners that the club have been able to get in replacements on less money because of the state of the market now. Couple that with some of that money probably going to Conlons new deal too and I think we’ve come out of it quite well as a club in terms of wages. That’s what vindicates the cull, not that they haven’t all been picked up by other league clubs. 

The upshot of those high earners going is that there’s no way they could expect to get similar wages somewhere else, so in the case of brown I think that’s accelerated his coaching aspirations, Joyce can be closer to home and his academy by playing at Fylde, whilst Pope was struggling with his shoulder still. Montys come out of the best with a move  to the Scottish prem. Cullens been lucky to get a club closer to home too in Hartlepool and stay in league 2.  The others have just joined the huge list of hundreds of other cheap earners looking for a club and desperately hoping to stay in the game. 

• Like 1

Advert:

54 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I just think they generally aren’t very good. Hence why we keep struggling and no league side would pick them up. Not sure why any side in this league would want players like whitehead

It’s true our squad players this last few years haven’t been up to much. 

59 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I just think they generally aren’t very good. Hence why we keep struggling and no league side would pick them up. Not sure why any side in this league would want players like whitehead

Agree re Whitehead national league standard at best.  My only hope was big spending Stockport or maybe Wrexham with their investment might take him off our hands but I'm guessing he was on a silly amount(for league two) at Salford and Vale took a sizeable chunk of that on!?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Probably makes sense, didn’t we sign him from a trial? Imagine that’s been doubled at least now and rightly so

Potentially tripled seeing as some players being on around 2000 and him being club captain

Advert:

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

Heres an interesting fact for you all which i struggled to believe but from a reliable source- before tom conlon signed his new contract he was only on 700 a week one of our lowest paid first team players  

only 700? poor kid.

• Like 1