Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

Why would darrell clarke look on fans forums for potential signings 😂😂 ive heard it all now 

Read the quote ... I never said he should. It was in response to a poster saying we wouldn't start analysing potential recruitment until retained lists are released. To do recruitment retained lists are largely irrelevant, it is the pool of out of contract players that you do most of the recruitment from. That is very public information on fans forums and papers local to each club. The sentinel and OVF have had that information available for months. I would be hugely shocked if Clarke, Flitctoft and 23 other managers in this league haven't been going over that list with a fine tooth comb since the end of March. If they haven't then the close season really is a game of random chance.

Livingstone didn't sign Montano because we released him. They signed him because they knew he was out of contract and available. Almost certainly he was going there regardless of the retained list; it may well be the reason he wasn't retained. 

Edited by JRC

I don't really understand this bit... how could they assess the available players weeks ago when they didn't now the retained lists of all the clubs?
I had to paint and set up a room for him with blacked out windows and white boards on the walls so I can confirm he was in the war room the week he arrived so he's been at it for a while

I'd imagine much of the research has already been done. It's now a case of who is a priority and assessing whether the budget will stretch . They won't have released so many players without some inkling of who is going to replace them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The French Connection said:

I was struck by Nigel Clough's comment the other day "we've contacted all our targets for next season, and no one's said no yet".
It would seem some cubs are a bit further on in their recruitment process than others.

I remember Martin Foyle getting all his signings in early, he was sacked in October I think. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dishydave said:
7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:
I don't really understand this bit... how could they assess the available players weeks ago when they didn't now the retained lists of all the clubs?

I had to paint and set up a room for him with blacked out windows and white boards on the walls so I can confirm he was in the war room the week he arrived so he's been at it for a while

😀

Edited by Rampant Zebra

2 hours ago, dishydave said:
8 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Love a war room with blacked out windows! 

Sounds like the work started early then... just what people wanted.

Of course they couldn’t be assessing the final list of available players until the released lists were announced. But good to hear they were anticipating and starting the analysis! 

22 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:
23 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:
According to Colin Garlick in The Sentinel, Messrs Flitcroft & Clarke are busy closseted in a room at Vale Park as we write, analysing, planning and talking about possible signings.
Looking at this from a positive stance, it all sounds briliantly well-planned.  Or, taking a more jaundiced view, shouldn't a lot of this work have been done weeks ago before they jettisoned a team and a half?
Ending positively, let's hope that it is the former situation and not the latter--despite my postings possibly giving a different impression, I really do want to be optimistic, so let's keep everything crossed that all this planning pays off!

Yeah, unfortunately you can't really plan until you know who is available, so much of the assessment work will be happening now and once the playoffs finish.

Okay I understand that, but my main point is that with around only 5 weeks to go until the first pre-season friendly, that's around five signings a week required just to replace the 15 released.

21 hours ago, valeparklife said:

They could have had a list of names, but they would still need to know who is re-signing and who was released and therefore available.

I do understand that, but please see my reply to "leedsvaliant" time is of the essence with so many gaps to fill!

21 hours ago, JRC said:

I would be very disappointed if they didn't know which players were out of contract some months ago. You only need to look on every fan forum to find a post discussing retained lists to find information.  One would hope we are targetting some of the better players at the smaller clubs who have been offered new contracts. Generally there is a reason for players not to be offered a contract. There are maybe a dozen players at most not offered contracts I would see as on a par, or better, than 3 or 4 we have released.

I would hope that at this stage it's more a case of looking at players wage expectations and trying to decide which offer the best value for money. Someone like Benning will have a lot of offers and be able to get a high wage. Does a better holding midfield player and a second choice leftback offer better value? He certainly won't get, nor be able to afford, his 15 first choice players. 

One would truely hope thay had a list of ,maybe, 40 potential signings before they announced their released list. 

I totally agree--thanks for picking up the main thrust of my argument--and, as I've pointed out to"leedsvaliant" we ain't got a great deal of time before next season is upon us (who knows, it may even have stopped raining by then!!) We currently have only a handful of contracted players and 3 of those are transfer listed!  Even with the youngsters we have, doubt whether we could put out a full team at the moment, and, yes of course, I know we don't need to as it's closed-season, but the start of the next one is barely 50 days away!

Posted (edited)

Barely any signings happening in the bottom two leagues. Clear that players are having a week or so off and agents are fielding offers. 

If I felt the club weren't prepared then I'd be concerned, but it seems like they are. I would guess that we'll see movement next week as the playoffs wrap up and players are ready to start signing deals. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

only 5 weeks to go until the first pre-season friendly, that's around five signings a week required just to replace the 15 released.

Try that one again. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings