Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

38 minutes ago, Wrex said:

You can have youth loans though right? Not sure up to what level that would cover or if it'd be better playing for Leek Town regularly than on the bench at Vale Park though

Finally found what I was looking for in the FA handbook. It says contract players under the age of 20 and scholars in their 2nd or 3rd year can be used as youth loans, so he should be fine in that case 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Finally found what I was looking for in the FA handbook. It says contract players under the age of 20 and scholars in their 2nd or 3rd year can be used as youth loans, so he should be fine in that case  
What's the difference between a youth loan and a standard loan?

I notice Tshimanga(linked with us at the start of the close season and several others since) turned out for Boreham Wood in their friendly at the weekend.  Really surprised that lad hasn't secured a league club yet with his goals in the NL last couple of seasons.  I don't expect it to be us btw with Bolton and Plymouth linked in league one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, philmpv said:
23 minutes ago, glenpvfc said:
Finally found what I was looking for in the FA handbook. It says contract players under the age of 20 and scholars in their 2nd or 3rd year can be used as youth loans, so he should be fine in that case emoji846.png 

Looks like they treat it more as work experience, you still have to continue with whatever education the club has set out for you though. Now I've read up on it I don't see the point in differentiating them myself but there must be more to it, probably to do with player limits and what level of the pyramid you can or can't go to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tshimanga was at Bolton on trial and Plymouth in league 1 and would be a good shout for a league 2 club as say fourth striker....turns 24 next week so free transfer....likewise Molyneux still hasn't signed for Hartlepool and the 28 day day period to accept the contract offer expires later in the week...needing a fourth striker and a left winger both would be a good shout to complete the squad.

Thinking Gibbons/Legge/Worrall/Taylor/Hurst/Amoo have all been out injured at some point in pre-season and after the Forest game DC was saying there would be two or three last signings....Solanke/Molyneux/Tshimanga would complete the squad DM/LW/ST......jobs a good'un.

• Like 1

Advert:

On 17/07/2021 at 15:59, Diego Maradona said:

Having noticed the Marston’s Brewery advertisements around the ground at the Vale v Forest game, I’m especially looking forward to ‘releasing’ Marston’s for a more ‘local lad’. Titanic Brewery would be very nice. A Plum Porter would go down a treat. 

An Andy Porter would go down even better! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PV1973 said:

,,,Bailey has got to be better than Wilson, proctor, Rodney and whoever else the manager brings in...

No he doesn't! That would make him 1st choice striker - not 4th / 5th in line back up. All I'm suggesting is he be kept in the 1st team squad, for as much training as he can do, and to become familiar with tactics, and to get minutes as a sub when there's no pressure on him; and to get occasional appearances in the Cup, that also have less pressure. 

10 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

No he doesn't! That would make him 1st choice striker - not 4th / 5th in line back up. All I'm suggesting is he be kept in the 1st team squad, for as much training as he can do, and to become familiar with tactics, and to get minutes as a sub when there's no pressure on him; and to get occasional appearances in the Cup, that also have less pressure. 

To even make the bench he has to be better than the other forwards that are ahead of him in the managers plans. How does he do that when he won’t be training with the first team either?  How does he usurp 3 players with goals and more league experience under their belts? It isn’t going to happen yet. I agree we may possibly see him on the bench for a trophy game to give one of the pros a break, but realistically I think it’s way too early for him yet and I’d go so far as to say he isn’t in the managers plan this season. Anyone know if he  has even travelled with the first team to their training camp this week in Leicester? 

Bailey will be nowhere near the 1st team squad come August. He's only a 2nd year pro. I would imagine he has gone to the training camp this week to get a taste of what what it takes physically to be a professional. A lot of clubs do the same thing with young pros at this time of year to test them out.

If he was really good and strong enough to be part of a L2 1st team squad at this stage of his career he wouldn't be at Vale!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Advert:

20 hours ago, philmpv said:
21 hours ago, glenpvfc said:
Finally found what I was looking for in the FA handbook. It says contract players under the age of 20 and scholars in their 2nd or 3rd year can be used as youth loans, so he should be fine in that case emoji846.png 

Money mainly I expect! And the age of the player...

20 hours ago, MBE said:

...If he was really good and strong enough to be part of a L2 1st team squad at this stage of his career he wouldn't be at Vale!

Really? He has a family connection and...presumably...freedom of choice?

There has been a lot of talk from Vale about "bridging the gap" between the world of youth team football and 1st team men's football.

I think by having some of the youth players in and around the 1st team is a positive step towards this - ie showing the young players there is a pathway, having them see first hand the level the 1st team are at, getting to know the 1st team etc

I guess the way we've always operated is that every now and then a manager will pluck a player or two from the youth team and throw them into the 1st team environment in a sink or swim experiment!

Little things like giving the whole youth team 30 minutes against Newcastle will be amazing for their development - it's probably the first time many have played in front of a (decent) crowd which I'd imagine could be nerve-wracking at a young age. Now they've done it, it won't be as daunting the next time it happens.

I think having some youth teamers in and around the 1st team over pre-season is purely to help their development, but I don't expect any to feature much once the real season kicks off.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

There has been a lot of talk from Vale about "bridging the gap" between the world of youth team football and 1st team men's football.

I think by having some of the youth players in and around the 1st team is a positive step towards this - ie showing the young players there is a pathway, having them see first hand the level the 1st team are at, getting to know the 1st team etc

I guess the way we've always operated is that every now and then a manager will pluck a player or two from the youth team and throw them into the 1st team environment in a sink or swim experiment!

Little things like giving the whole youth team 30 minutes against Newcastle will be amazing for their development - it's probably the first time many have played in front of a (decent) crowd which I'd imagine could be nerve-wracking at a young age. Now they've done it, it won't be as daunting the next time it happens.

I think having some youth teamers in and around the 1st team over pre-season is purely to help their development, but I don't expect any to feature much once the real season kicks off.

Yeah this is why Nathan Rooney was brought in as Head of Coaching - ensure coaching standards are both good and consistent to ensure the transition from U18 to Mens football is as easy as possible.

Bailey being involved in pre-season is good for him but he needs another year of reserve football before we even consider a pro contract, let alone put him on the first-team bench. If there's some promise there, give him a 2 year deal and have a 6 month deal at a club with a good coach.

We should now have clear development pathways for every youngster we feel has a chance; potential loan locations, opportunities for minutes, integration into first-team set up.

• Like 1

Advert:

26 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I heard he’d gone there on trial. 

Trouble is Mckirdy there’s a player in there for sure but I think he lacks the mental capacity reach his full potential . I look at  Ricky Miller and McKirdy and see the same player with the same issues .

Edited by Rockape99
Spelling
  • Like 1