Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

31 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

A player i always liked who was just released by Crewe is Daniel Powell but he seems to start off well and then fade away(not sure if its through injuries),he has a few goals in him and is 6 foot 2,would surely be decent at league 2 level

I didn't know if we'd have a look at Powell. Played most of his football in League 1 and got promoted with Crewe a couple of years a go.

1 minute ago, robf said:

And Ben Whitfield's there too. Must be one heck of a wages bill.

Plus all the rumours that They were interested in Pope.

Their new owner is pumping in the big bucks… if they get promoted they could be the new Salford 

Plus all the rumours that They were interested in Pope.
Their new owner is pumping in the big bucks… if they get promoted they could be the new Salford 
You mean spending shedloads and being stuck here?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Beech said:

We definitely look a striker short. Rodney could score 15-20, there's no reason at all why he couldn't. But he's still learning the game and in an ideal world he wouldn't be starting every week. Not sure either whether he's actually best up top with someone or on the wing at the moment. Wilson is talented clearly but isn't a goal-scorer, more of a scorer of really good goals. Proctor is a target man, link up type of player that can't be expected to worry the scoring charts too much.

I can see us playing a 5-3-2 formation with wing-backs, which means then you can choose between Rodney and Proctor to play a little ahead of Wilson if the latter starts, depending on what you want in the game from the striker. Worrall can also play wing-back without any problems, meaning Gibbons can be eased back considering he's coming off the back of a very injury hit season.

Lucas

Smith

Martin

Cass

Worrall

Benning

Walker

Pett

Conlon

Wilson

Rodney

Subs: Stone, Johnson, Jones, Gibbons, Taylor, Amoo, Proctor

If that's not a side capable of the top 6 then we're in one hell of a League Two this year.

I think that looks our strongest team on paper, barring I think he’ll play Johnson or Jones at LCB. Not a great deal of express pace, apart from Rodney, but the midfield 3 looks very tasty indeed.

I think with those 3 we should be able to dictate play from the middle of the park and I honestly think Conlon can surpass last season’s tally of 10 if given a more advanced role. His technique of striking a ball is a job to behold and he rarely misses the target. 

Agree with other posters, we defo need another striker who can compete. I think someone with pace to burn would complement the other strikers we have at our disposal. 

Edited by Boslem's Brazil
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Funny one given he said he left for family reasons… Barrow train in Manchester so don’t see how this makes a huge difference.

Just a load of old tosh, only club who’d have him. Didn’t Quigley mk2 Richie Bennett say the same when moving to Stockport and he’s now at Sutton

Just a load of old tosh, only club who’d have him. Didn’t Quigley mk2 Richie Bennett say the same when moving to Stockport and he’s now at Sutton
I really think Quigley, like many others before and since him, has been subject to the instant judgment typical of some Vale fans. He was given a grand total of minutes equivalent to around 5 games for us, all in what most will agree was one of the worst Vale sides ever. Fact is that when given an actual chance he has performed well, scoring 35 goals in 73 appearances, including 15 last season.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Moz said:

We still need a little more quality for me, if we want to challenge. Obviously, my opinion might change once we've played more games (speculation is the nature of this thread, after all). Compared to last season I'd say we're:

Goalkeeper - Similar last year

Defence - A little stronger than last year (I worry about Legge having to play too many games)

Midfield - Much stronger than last year (Walker is the signing of the window in my eyes)

Forwards - Similar to last year 

A lot depends on how Wilson goes. Like other posters, I think DC will look for a young striker (I like the look of Bailey as 4/5th striker), but we're low on proven goals. For that reason, I really hope DC doesn't want Wozza at wing back all year. The extra work takes its toll on him and he's out best source of chances.

The sooner we can pack off Whitehead and Robinson, the better.

The defence is much much better than last year. Better balance, better players, more pedigree, deeper in terms of cover. 

• Like 2

16 out and 12 in, is it? I think, given that DC wanted a smaller squad, that that may be it other than loans and/or youngsters? Which will be fine for me. not panicking about strikers unless we have some shocking luck with injuries? Confident our keepers will do a job for us...maybe even go on to become crowd favourites? And defence / midfield are, unquestionably, in better shape. i'd prefer us to hold onto some cash for January in case something needs tweaking? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

16 out and 12 in, is it? I think, given that DC wanted a smaller squad, that that may be it other than loans and/or youngsters? Which will be fine for me. not panicking about strikers unless we have some shocking luck with injuries? Confident our keepers will do a job for us...maybe even go on to become crowd favourites? And defence / midfield are, unquestionably, in better shape. i'd prefer us to hold onto some cash for January in case something needs tweaking? 

We definitely need another striker, Robinson is not wanted by the manager and I don't blame him, not good enough for me.  We have 3 strikers and an unproven youngster, Bailey might be great but I suspect he might go out on loan for experience, he is just 17.  We could have one injury for one of the 3 strikers and then left with a 17 year old on the bench.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I really think Quigley, like many others before and since him, has been subject to the instant judgment typical of some Vale fans. He was given a grand total of minutes equivalent to around 5 games for us, all in what most will agree was one of the worst Vale sides ever. Fact is that when given an actual chance he has performed well, scoring 35 goals in 73 appearances, including 15 last season.

Yes, he did play for us in a really poor season, but thats when good players stand up. I always thought he lacked any imagination and couldn’t be bothered. He’s had two very good seasons at Barrow so deserves a move but IMO very poor for us. Two good seasons since being a professional footballer, hardly tearing up trees. A lack of ambition and steps down a league for money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I think that looks our strongest team on paper, barring I think he’ll play Martin or Jones at LCB. Not a great deal of express pace, apart from Rodney, but the midfield 3 looks very tasty indeed.

I think with those 3 we should be able to dictate play from the middle of the park and I honestly think Conlon can surpass last season’s tally of 10 if given a more advanced role. His technique of striking a ball is a job to behold and he rarely misses the target. 

Agree with other posters, we defo need another striker who can compete. I think someone with pace to burn would complement the other strikers we have at our disposal. 

I think Clarke will go with Johnson at LCB. From what I’ve heard, he’s on a decent wedge and we beat a lot of clubs for his signature. Therefore, I reckon he was one of our biggest targets, and he fits perfectly into a back 3 considering he’s a left footer. I’d imagine Jones will compete with Benning, while Martin will most likely start in the middle with Smith to the right of him. Just my opinion, but I don’t think that’s a bad guess. 

9 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I think Clarke will go with Johnson at LCB. From what I’ve heard, he’s on a decent wedge and we beat a lot of clubs for his signature. Therefore, I reckon he was one of our biggest targets, and he fits perfectly into a back 3 considering he’s a left footer. I’d imagine Jones will compete with Benning, while Martin will most likely start in the middle with Smith to the right of him. Just my opinion, but I don’t think that’s a bad guess. 

Sorry typo from me, meant Johnson or Jones. Interesting info, looking forward to seeing Johnson play. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robf said:

I think we've got a good core but a fourth striker would be a good move in my view. I guess whether Robinson goes or not will have a big say on what sort of budget we have for that position.

It could be a waiting game. I suspect that as the summer progresses and most players get fixed up then players like Robinson will suddenly become a more attractive option for clubs desperate to add new faces.

There is possibly more chance of him going to Colchester. They were apparently going to re-sign Michael Folivi who was with them last season but he got injured the day before he was going to sign, He will be out for a while so Robinson must be back in the frame for them.

Id personally have an out and out winger higher on our wanted list than another striker obviously if we got both be great just feel like we just need an option of pace and someone who can beat a man, i know weve got rodney but someone who can come on and change a game, or someone so that opens up different possibilities formation wise.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

We definitely need another striker, Robinson is not wanted by the manager and I don't blame him, not good enough for me.  We have 3 strikers and an unproven youngster, Bailey might be great but I suspect he might go out on loan for experience, he is just 17.  We could have one injury for one of the 3 strikers and then left with a 17 year old on the bench.

Doesn’t sound ideal, I agree, but who knows how good he will be? Looking forward to seeing him play either against Forest or Wednesday when it should give us a better idea of whether he would be out of his depth at this stage. If he’s training with the first team squad, DC clearly thinks highly of him and he wouldn’t be the first 17 year old to break into league football, would he? We’ll see! 

• Like 1