Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Advert:

On 11/07/2021 at 16:03, Tony Rodriguez said:

My understanding of this model of management is that the structure and playing style throughout the club remains constant although the personnel can change within it.

If it does not work with DC then he can be replaced but the new person will have to buy in to our way of playing. That then gives a level of consistency rather than disruption every time a new manager is appointed, bringing in new players to suit his preferred system.

The DoF seems to have far greater longevity and maybe the easier ride.

Indeed - the DofF has more security as it is his job to find a managerial replacement should the manager need replacing. Owners / boards seem to tolerate a Dof F much more, even if an unsuccessful one? But the structure is usually that the manager and all the coaching staff are aware of how the teams are expected to play - if the manager is deemed to be a failure, their replacement will be expected to continue the club's style of play.

Advert:

3 hours ago, Budgie_2260 said:

I messaged Ryan Deeney from the National League Twitter account NLmusings about our new additions, below is his response for those interested :-

Hi, Thanks for the message.

I can't say I've written in depth on either player but did note Ryan Johnson in this piece: https://t.co/KAoxeAukfU

CASS

Lewis Cass grew into the season. He's a young player that hadn't played professionally so understandably took time to mature.

Technical quality for a defender evident but had to prove himself physically. Did so and made himself first choice at RCB of a three or occasionally RB in a four. Comfortable breaking forward, breaking lines with passes and nabbed a couple of assists from open play during the season. Unfortunately, he was ruled out of the final part of the season with injury.

JOHNSON

Ryan Johnson is a really good centre back, IMO. Has a languid nature about him at times which may not go down too well but that shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of care. He wins the vast majority of his duels, not easy in a league full of "target" men. He's relatively quick, strong in the air and not afraid to move forward with the ball. Also scored a few goals from set pieces.

Saw murmurs of Port Vale possibly switching between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3. If that is the case, those two will be fine tactically.

Of course, their success will depend on confidence given to them by Clarke to play their games & hone their talents.

COVOLAN

I think Covolan is ace. Has a real confidence about him too. Type of character I imagine is good for the dressing room.

That's not to say he's a perfect goalkeeper. But he's definitely better than non-league & was ready to make the next step

That sounds like a good appraisal, from someone with no agenda!

• Like 4

Advert:

10 hours ago, LancyTony said:

That sounds like a good appraisal, from someone with no agenda!

Go on then, I'll bite. I spoke to a friend at Stafford Rangers after the match, yes I do have friends. He used to play non league football and watched Rangers almost get relegated last season. He was surprised how easily rangers won. I know we only had half a team of squad members playing but it was an unbiased opinion. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Go on then, I'll bite. I spoke to a friend at Stafford Rangers after the match, yes I do have friends. He used to play non league football and watched Rangers almost get relegated last season. He was surprised how easily rangers won. I know we only had half a team of squad members playing but it was an unbiased opinion. 

Good old stafford rangers i wish them all the luck in getting another Ray Williams and Mick Cullerton to make them a viable non league team. i only hope we can play them in the fa cup this year if they qualify for it then we might see how easy it is here's hoping you and your mate will attend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Siri and Alexa don't count as friends
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Any friends who support Newcastle Town that watched the game on Saturday? 4-0 up at half time of what will be bar maybe 1 player our starting lineup first game of the season.

Stafford Rangers second half Vale line up was:

Stone
Chibaya
Chale
Sangre
Osman
Illori
Clarke
McDrmott
McFarlane
Bailey
Okenla

Weird how you've chosen to single out the game that had the much weakened side and didn't rebalance it by mentioning the Newcastle game. So weird...So, so weird.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Budgie_2260 said:

I messaged Ryan Deeney from the National League Twitter account NLmusings about our new additions, below is his response for those interested :-

Hi, Thanks for the message.

I can't say I've written in depth on either player but did note Ryan Johnson in this piece: https://t.co/KAoxeAukfU

CASS

Lewis Cass grew into the season. He's a young player that hadn't played professionally so understandably took time to mature.

Technical quality for a defender evident but had to prove himself physically. Did so and made himself first choice at RCB of a three or occasionally RB in a four. Comfortable breaking forward, breaking lines with passes and nabbed a couple of assists from open play during the season. Unfortunately, he was ruled out of the final part of the season with injury.

JOHNSON

Ryan Johnson is a really good centre back, IMO. Has a languid nature about him at times which may not go down too well but that shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of care. He wins the vast majority of his duels, not easy in a league full of "target" men. He's relatively quick, strong in the air and not afraid to move forward with the ball. Also scored a few goals from set pieces.

Saw murmurs of Port Vale possibly switching between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3. If that is the case, those two will be fine tactically.

Of course, their success will depend on confidence given to them by Clarke to play their games & hone their talents.

COVOLAN

I think Covolan is ace. Has a real confidence about him too. Type of character I imagine is good for the dressing room.

That's not to say he's a perfect goalkeeper. But he's definitely better than non-league & was ready to make the next step

Thanks for this constructive piece from your mate Ryan. It’s also well worth reading the link on his preferred NL first eleven. It made me think there must be quite a few gems hidden there who could make good EFL players. Hope the Matrix is on to it 🙂

• Like 1