Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

Sentinel headline 2035

Vale suffer disastrous defeat in local derby 

Port vale 0 Hanley Town 4 

Mistakes from 50 year old Scott Brown in goal and a penalty miss from 49 year old Tom Pope contribute to Vale losing the big local derby. 

Players come and go. Can some of these advocating keeping players suggest when they would be willing to let go ?

I really did like Scott Brown, he almost single handedly kept us in the league a couple of years ago but Vale have nothing to be ashamed of by releasing him. 

If anyone deserves to be upset it's the Cambridge keeper at 26 who has just helped them get promotion and is now clubless. 

Football sucks at times. Get over it. 

Goalkeeping is the most difficult position to cover, recruiting a competent keeper is the priority. The backup is more likely a learner as a quality stopper would want more game time especially as we do not run a reserve or development team. We were lucky that Brown did not pick up an injury, we are all aware how difficult it is to find emergency replacements.

Think back to 2016/17, we had more goalkeepers than strikers and only one was any good so Norm sold him and pocketed the cash. A reliable keeper is important, remember Ryan Boot at Crewe? DC has only got rid of Brown because he is too outspoken I suspect, DC wants yes men around him. 

5 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

DC has only got rid of Brown because he is too outspoken I suspect, DC wants yes men around him. 

Possibly some truth in that. But as has been said repeatedly he's 36 and had an average season so even if he was a Clarke loyalist he still may have been let go in favour of a younger model.

15 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Think back to 2016/17, we had more goalkeepers than strikers and only one was any good so Norm sold him and pocketed the cash. A reliable keeper is important, remember Ryan Boot at Crewe? DC has only got rid of Brown because he is too outspoken I suspect, DC wants yes men around him. 

Brown is past it. Stop it with the anti Clarke agenda ffs. 

17 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Do you really think with all the professional process we appear to be taking and the trust placed by The Shanahan family in our structure that we are going to end up with another Fasan, Mehmet, Evtimov situation ? 

A decent keeper will be signed up soon have no doubt about it.

Chris Neal and Jak Alnwick were both decent keepers , they left for different reasons but players come and go. 

Brown will be replaced. 

I don't think some people comprehend that it's only 10 days since we announced our retained list and that the play offs are still going on. 

What's to say we aren't waiting in the wings for say the Morecambe or Vegan keeper and just waiting for the play offs to end.

I understand some people want 10 signings already but it's not the way we will work any more, thank god 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Do you really think with all the professional process we appear to be taking and the trust placed by The Shanahan family in our structure that we are going to end up with another Fasan, Mehmet, Evtimov situation ? 

A decent keeper will be signed up soon have no doubt about it.

Chris Neal and Jak Alnwick were both decent keepers , they left for different reasons but players come and go. 

Brown will be replaced. 

I don't think some people comprehend that it's only 10 days since we announced our retained list and that the play offs are still going on. 

What's to say we aren't waiting in the wings for say the Morecambe or Vegan keeper and just waiting for the play offs to end.

I understand some people want 10 signings already but it's not the way we will work any more, thank god 

I hope not but time will tell if it is all reasoned, professional, efficient recruitment or not. 🙂

I've often said that it tough to judge a manager after just one transfer window. To judge him just as the window opens and before he's even signed anyone is crazy.

Clarke and Flitcroft have taken some big decisions and clearly whether they are right or wrong will be shown by the squad that Vale have at the start of the season. But that start of the season is a LONG way off. Let's give them a chance and let them actually sign some players!

p.s. I think this happens at the same time every off season. There's a couple of weeks when clubs don't have much activity (mainly as players are still under contract / on their holidays in the times when trips abroad were allowed!)and the OVF forum fills with posts from fans anxious that we haven't signed 25 new players in the five minutes after the last season has finished.

11 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I hope not but time will tell if it is all reasoned, professional, efficient recruitment or not. 🙂

Can i just ask are you actually a vale supporter? If so why are you writing off the new management team within a week of him saving us for looking like a certain relegation with a team full of non league players. Clarke has done a better job so far than any of us could of predicted before he came in at best i thought we could just get over the line and stay up with a game ot two remaining. We stayed up with ease however you have created a clear agenda that hes not doing a good job and that you dont like him or his management style at all. Why is that? What are you basing this agenda on?

19 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Because he thinks Clarke is a fraud and doesn't like him. 

Seems like he's dying for him to fail 

There was always going to be a bit of friction from a minority of our fan base following the Askey sacking, as he was local and obviously has some mates who are local as well. I’ve heard the gossip, Askey didn’t want Robinson, there was too much boardroom interference etc etc. Then more gossip that Flitcroft and Clarke are best mates and Flitcroft has somehow conned Carol into a job. It all sounds a bit bitter and looking for excuses. 

I would take a good guess that Rampant falls into this category. He either knows Askey or knows someone who does. 

Whatever our opinions, I just hope we can all move on and draw a line under this season. It’s a new start, a new squad and hopefully a new era of good times to be a Vale fan. If we unite together and back the management and players, if gives us the best possible chance of success next season. UTV. 

21 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Because he thinks Clarke is a fraud and doesn't like him. 

Seems like he's dying for him to fail 

I think I have said all along that I hope I am wrong but I admit I don't like the way Clarke does his business. I don't know John Askey actually. We used to complain that Micky Adams was an old fashioned manager and that he drove Sam Morsy away, I think Clarke is even more old fashioned in his attitude towards players and has released more important players than Sam Morsy. Time will tell...

Archived