• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert:

Advert:

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I think this is what a lot of people are missing with this signing. The team that Clarke has put together can score goals from defence right through to attack. Proctor looks like the type of player that will hold the ball up and give the time for others to link play in the final third. Scoring goals is what forwards do, but a lot do so much more than that.

Correct - like many others including Pope in his first season at Bury, Tom Nichol at Crawley and many others whose strength is holding play up, laying it off and creating for others. 

You can see the Matrix’s thinking here as the squad takes shape: a blend of height, strength, pace and skill. Exactly what we need to get out of L2. We will see whether it works soon enough but we’ve seen more planning, preparation and execution at Vale Park than for many a long year.

Let’s cut DC and DF a bit of slack and give ourselves a bit of hope and optimism as we go into the new season. 

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We've got to come to terms with the fact that every striker now signed with will exist in the shadow of Pope. Some fans will use him as the barometer and everyone will be expected to, at minimum, replicate his role. I thought it was right he was released but some will, through justified sentiment, cling to the idea that something was holding him back this last season, as opposed to him being in his late 30s and declining.

We'll get tired of discussing it but the last decade of Port Vale has effectively been the Tom Pope decade, for better or worse, and it's completely altered people's perceptions of strikers. It's similar to how every manager we have is held up to Rudge, despite Rudge's not really existing in the game anymore and the comparison being completely meaningless. 

I'm of the mind that Carol is brilliant, Flitters and DC win promotions, and everything structurally is in place to ensure they make the right decisions. I'll trust it. 

Absolutely spot on. I think as amazing as Pope was, and he stuck by the club in our darkest days, its an indicator of how badly our club was run and because things were so bad he was elevated even higher.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the legend status but we've been short on real quality for a long time. It's time for a new chapter, and to get out of this damn league for good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tisdeano said:

Proctor good prove to be an astute signing, can play with his back to goal and bring others into the game , different than any other strikers at the club

Exactly, all the strikers bring something different at the moment. Depending on opponents, tactics, switching it up etc we will actually have some options to make real changes.

• Like 1

Advert:

2 minutes ago, Frank Mustard said:
2 hours ago, Joe B said:
Pocket calculators being scrambled for as we speak.

You don't need a pocket calculator, just your two hands will do.

That’s what she said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Glad you posted that and not me emoji38.png

I love the Pope to death but he wasn’t fit after his ban and the got injured and never looked fit afterwards. His tenure at Vale had to end some time  for me it’s was right .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

Somebody prepare the pigeon for Rayzer

It is alright Phil I picked it up on the official site. Is it possible the Director of communications has been told to get the info out there on all the different media formats. I saw it on the Sentinel website too.

• Like 1

Advert: