Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Probably a big difference in wage demands. Not to mention he’s 29 and pope is what 36? 

Agree on the wages side of things. I'm not sure we'll ever find out if Tom was offered a reduced deal. I don't buy the age thing so much. Every squad needs a balance. Just look at Ellison at Newport. Got them vital points (including against us) as they made the play offs. This lad isn't a bad signing, but I personally think Pope would have offered more over the year.

I think the comparison to Pope in terms of a younger version, is a lazy one. By the time Tom was 29 he'd got double figures 4 times (three times at League one level) and fired us to a promotion.  

• Like 1

Advert:

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Probably a big difference in wage demands. Not to mention he’s 29 and pope is what 36? 

He'll be 36 a few weeks into the new season. For me this signing makes sense. It's lowering the age of the squad. In a similar way having 21 y/o Aidan Stone pushing 30 y/o Covolan is significantly different from 31 y/o Visser pushing 36 y/o Scott Brown.

I guess there's going to be differing views and speculation on the value of the signings until the season actually kicks off - but I think it's better to let the new players at least play a few competitive matches before passing judgement (and that applies equally both to the glass half-full and glass half-empty brigades). 

• Like 7

Advert:

30 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Jamie Proctor, 29 yo striker. Vastly experienced at higher levels but not the most prolific. Target man type.  A reasonable third option. 

Will be more mobile than Pope imo and will be used as the target man to hold the ball up and lay it into the paths of Rodders and Wilson,so it wont be about his goals,i just hope fans understand that 

• Like 7

Advert:

Just now, philmpv said:

So the lads been signed for less than an hour and already we have a definitive statement that Pope would have done more over the course of the season, despite no ball even being kicked yet!

No we don't. I said "I personally think..." In the same post as saying he's a decent signing. Get a grip.

1 minute ago, tisdeano said:

Proctor good prove to be an astute signing, can play with his back to goal and bring others into the game , different than any other strikers at the club

I think this is what a lot of people are missing with this signing. The team that Clarke has put together can score goals from defence right through to attack. Proctor looks like the type of player that will hold the ball up and give the time for others to link play in the final third. Scoring goals is what forwards do, but a lot do so much more than that.

Advert:

Ive heard from a couple of sources that over past season or so popey wasnt good for the dressing room, i can imagine he didnt like the fact he wasnt playing as much and if that is true right decision to let him go

• Like 4