• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

37 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Note the word, "Some" in my post referring to some Vale fans who've made disparaging remarks. I've not claimed Tom Pope is  the player of two years ago but maintain he's still good enough to do a job at this level based on seeing every game he played last year and as Vale currently have no one with a skill set similar to his.

Doesn't really matter whether you used the word "some" "one" or "a thousand" you're still out of order calling any Vale fan feckless. What you mean is they have a different opinion to you - which is the point of having a forum. With his contribution diminishing, season by season, I'll be glad to see us stop playing Popeball! Currently, the transfer window is still open for a while. - let's see who comes in!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

DC has indicated he wants to play a faster moving / higher pressing game.  I struggle to see in what way anyone can think the TP of 2021 fits into that system.

The ‘do a job’ is such a lazy comment.  It is can they do the job required.  I am 52 with shot knees, I could still ‘do a job’ but wouldn’t be great.

DC found a way of Theo being far more effective for the team which went on the unbeaten run, and yet there is no clamour to retain his services.  

TP was dominated week after week by younger stronger fitter defenders, and aside from the occasional glimpse showed very little - even before the injury.  Strange that he hasn’t been snapped up at the first opportunity if DC has made such an error.

As they say there is none as blind as he who will not see.

• Like 4

DC has indicated he wants to play a faster moving / higher pressing game.  I struggle to see in what way anyone can think the TP of 2021 fits into that system.
The ‘do a job’ is such a lazy comment.  It is can they do the job required.  I am 52 with shot knees, I could still ‘do a job’ but wouldn’t be great.
DC found a way of Theo being far more effective for the team which went on the unbeaten run, and yet there is no clamour to retain his services.  

TP was dominated week after week by younger stronger fitter defenders, and aside from the occasional glimpse showed very little - even before the injury.  Strange that he hasn’t been snapped up at the first opportunity if DC has made such an error.
As they say there is none as blind as he who will not see.
Or, as the immortal Del Boy puts it, 'there's none so blind as those what won't listen'
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Granted getting involved on Twitter was not the most sensible thing that Tom Pope has ever done but for you to use it as a reason why he shouldn't be awarded a contract is pretty poor, he's paid his dues for goodness sake. Tom Pope likely got snared by a "Race baiter" on Twitter and he paid the price.

It wasn't a 'race baiter', which you've made up and look daft in doing so.

The person just asked about WW3, which was a common meme at the start of 2020. He took it down a very questionable path, informed by conspiracy theory youtube videos (as he admitted at enquiry).

I think his twitter behaviour was relevant, as he was suspended for the start of the season and was unable to contribute. He'd been warned and failed to to heed his bosses' warnings. Its a sign of unprofessionalism. Availability is the best ability.

Regardless, he's gone now and I don't think we'll miss his three goals from last season. A club legend but let's look forward.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Advert:

Great to see the new signings on Saturday but Conlon was involved in nearly everything when he came on in the 2nd half. He looks like he is much more vocal too. 

Also it's one thing seeing we have signed 6' players but its another to actually see them on the pitch. A team of giants. Really looking forward to seeing them all line up together for the first time.

Popeys gone and his critics are still harping on. Let it go. 

I think the kidsgrove game gives us an indication of how we will line up this season, which leaves some interesting questions about who will fit in to the system and play because I think 5-3-2 (3-5-2) will be his preferred formation. I think we will be in the market for another striker to challenge for a starting place, more of a battering ram type forward IMO. But other than that I think we will supplement the squad with younger squad players. 

based on the current squad…. Have I missed anyone? 

keeper

3 centre backs from smith / Martin / legge / Johnson / Jones 

Right wingback from  worrall / gibbo / Amoo??

left wingback from benning / hurst / Jones / amoo??

Holding midfielder from pett / walker

2 midfielders from Conlon / worrall / Taylor / worrall / garrity

2 forwards from Rodney / wilson 

Completely ignoring the fact that Pope was only brought into this thread by Paul peddling his Pro-Pope propaganda. As it's Pope those of us who are not Pro-Pope are supposed to leave such a ridiculous post unchallenged?
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He's only been mentioned because one poster brings him up incessantly, and makes blatantly false points which need to be refuted.

I'm happy to not mention him again outside of 'Port Vale Past' but some folk can't get over his release.

Back to transfers; a right back, left winger, two forwards. Easy.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

44 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Completely ignoring the fact that Pope was only brought into this thread by Paul peddling his Pro-Pope propaganda. As it's Pope those of us who are not Pro-Pope are supposed to leave such a ridiculous post unchallenged?

Either way he’s gone and people are still harping on about him. Strange you in particular took a general comment to heart. Just let it go mate. 

• Like 1

Pope has gone end of. We all have views. I would have offered him a one year deal on reduced terms, if he did not accept no problem. The one thing I will say is no one will give the same commitment as he did. Name one player who would have played on against Sunderland? He wont be in the team  or dressing room to kick them up the arse if not giving it all, as we all would because we love vale.

• Like 2

You are obsessed
  • Like 3

Advert:

41 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Theo might be off.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/headlines/19418184.colchester-united-keeping-tabs-theo-robinson/

If Clarke still wants 5 strikers as he was quoted saying, that would mean we should expect 3 more strikers to sign!

I hope so, but a loan deal? Does that mean we need to keep paying him money? 

All I would say is, Theo looked better when Clarke came in and although I would not want him in the first team as a starter, off the bench would not be too bad. I’d have him as a third choice. 

31 minutes ago, Properman said:

Pope has gone end of. We all have views. I would have offered him a one year deal on reduced terms, if he did not accept no problem. The one thing I will say is no one will give the same commitment as he did. Name one player who would have played on against Sunderland? He wont be in the team  or dressing room to kick them up the arse if not giving it all, as we all would because we love vale.

I know we need to move on from this but I wouldn't have offered a contract. The decision was made by a manager who is thinking with his head and not with his heart, as I suspect Vale fans in the main are.

There is more than one reason Clarke has let him go and they are pretty big reasons too. You can't have a rebuild if you're going to keep people around for sentimentality. Clarke will have looked at his age, his fitness, the type of forward he is, his attitude, his wage, also I'm sure his influence over the dressing room too. 

We have been in need of something like this since Horton left. A proper fresh start and transfers where other clubs are envious of the players we have signed. 

This is the area of football where you need to be ruthless, you need to make the tough decisions, there is no room for niceties and sentimentality if it's standing in the way of success.

I'm not taking away from the fact he was a fantastic servant for the club, but keeping him for next season is of the same mindset of where we have brought back ex-Vale players to manage because they are legends at the club. It's looking backwards rather than moving forward.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

All I would say is, Theo looked better when Clarke came in and although I would not want him in the first team as a starter, off the bench would not be too bad. I’d have him as a third choice. 

To be frank, I’d sooner some young loanee with something to prove, who’d actually look half arsed coming off the bench.

• Like 4