Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Advert:

48 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

That doesn’t mean he didn’t turn down other clubs. He was out of contract, so I’d imagine various clubs had been pursuing him for a while. 

We had signed him a few weeks back from what i heard were just waiting for his season to finish to announce it

I'm still in shock.We announced a signing at a weekend AND on a Sunday!!!!

One things for sure our recruitment has been very considered and follows a clear path with players to develop. It looks like the defence is all done and dusted now. Now for some help up front.

4 minutes ago, MBE said:

One things for sure our recruitment has been very considered and follows a clear path with players to develop. It looks like the defence is all done and dusted now. Now for some help up front.

Still think we will need some proper cover at right back… smudge could cover at a push but I reckon we will bring someone in for that role.

Don’t know if there’s anything in this but, my daughter works in a super market where a lot of the Vale players shop.

she asked me yesterday if we have a player called Joshua or Josh.

i couldn’t think of one currently at the club.

Advert:

40 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

We had signed him a few weeks back from what i heard were just waiting for his season to finish to announce it

I fully understand what you’re saying, and I heard the same a few weeks back. 

I’ll say it again - just because we signed him a few weeks back doesn’t mean other clubs weren’t sniffing around him.

9 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Still think we will need some proper cover at right back… smudge could cover at a push but I reckon we will bring someone in for that role.

I'm not so sure on the FB's. Smudge can slot in RB, he did a great job there in the past filling in for Gibbo and I think Johnson will cover Jones at LB and push. To me it seems a waste of a wage when we have the versatility in the back line or the players to play in a back 3. I would be looking for DM cover, 1st choice LW, target man plus another striker, then see where we are and what's available.

15 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Don’t know if there’s anything in this but, my daughter works in a super market where a lot of the Vale players shop.

she asked me yesterday if we have a player called Joshua or Josh.

i couldn’t think of one currently at the club.

Could be Anthony? Right kind of size to fit ‘The Matrix’ and would give us more punch up front👍

35 minutes ago, MBE said:

To be honest, I don't think it was the plan. Once the news broke in Hartlepool, I think they felt forced into announcing it. Hence why it was kinda rushed, with no teasers, just an announcement out of the blue. The story wasn't even on the website until a few hours later, which all makes me believe it was all planned for tomorrow, but quickly had to be moved to today 🙂

Edited by Danish Valiant
  • Like 3

Advert:

22 minutes ago, MBE said:

I'm not so sure on the FB's. Smudge can slot in RB, he did a great job there in the past filling in for Gibbo and I think Johnson will cover Jones at LB and push. To me it seems a waste of a wage when we have the versatility in the back line or the players to play in a back 3. I would be looking for DM cover, 1st choice LW, target man plus another striker, then see where we are and what's available.

I’m a bit unsure whether Johnson does play left back.

Sky sometimes show him playing left back in their lineup graphic but they dont always get the formations right at that level. I asked a Hartlepool fan on Twitter and he said he plays left of a back three but not left back… although he could have been talking about the one game that happened that day.

So, how is the squad shaping up, who have we replaced, what are we still missing?

GK: Covolan (Brown);  Stone (Visser & Scott)

LB: LWB (Monty); Jones (Fitzpatrick)

CB: Smith; Legge; Martin (Brisley); Johnson (Crookes)

RB: Gibbo; RB2 (Mills)

DM: Walker (Joyce); DM2

CM: Conlon; Taylor (signed Jan to replace Whitehead, having been original 1st choice to recruit); Garrity (Burgess); CM4 (Manny)

Wingers: Worrall; Amoo; Hurst; W4 (McKirdy)

FW: Rodney; Wilson (Cullen); FW3 (Pope & Guthrie); FW4/Theo

I appreciate some of those equivalences can be disputed/discussed, but the way I see it most of those changes are good upgrades, based on last season's performances (e.g. Brown was a better signing at the time than Covolan now, but Brown 2021 is not the same animal).

For me, the three key remaining holes in the first 18 are the replacements for Monty and Manny, and a 3rd striker, with the other positions (RB cover, DM cover, 4th winger and 4th striker if Theo moves on) possibly for younger lads, chancers and loans to fill (unless we can get our hands on a good LW for a decent wage).

And it's still not the end of June. UTV!

Edited by Clayts
  • Like 2

You can’t go into a season with one left back and one right back. We need two out and out right backs and two out and out left backs. 
We had 2 out and out right backs last season. We also had 1 out and out left back who barely played cos he was a lot worse than the left winger who played there. Didn't do us much good did it?

Advert:

Gibbo doesn't finish his injury rehab until the end of July so I doubt he will be up to speed for the first game of the season so I would imagine another right back is coming in. For me we need RB, LB, DM, 2 x Strikers, 2 x wingers and possibly another creative midfielder

• Like 1

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

You can’t go into a season with one left back and one right back. We need two out and out right backs and two out and out left backs. 

definitely.

It would be ironic for the DC to lament (accurately) the lack of balance in the squad, then go into the season with a like for like replacement for Joyce in terms of position, but less defensive cover and width.

Early days yet though.

10 hours ago, MBE said:

I reckon that was because the news was so pervasive already, it was pointless to keep schtum.

The defence is covered centrally but has no cover at RB or LB, surely that will be addressed as with all due respect Gibbo is probably the most injury prone at the club now.