Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Advert:

59 minutes ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

Vale have now announced Johnson, initial 2 year deal.

Am bemused by this signing to be honest. Am wondering whether DC sees him as one to develop? Having seen a fair bit of Hartlepool on TV last season he didn't impress me one iota: in fact few Hartlepool players did apart from Oates. In the games I saw, Johnson was ponderous, easily and often pulled out of position, and prone to clumsy cautionable challenges in key positions, due to his positioning! That said, welcome Ryan and I hope you have a great career at Vale. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we start with Martin and Johnson at centre half this season. There is a rising trend in manager utilising left-footed centre backs to help with build up play, and Clarke clearly brings this up in his comments RE Johnson

As we stand, I feel we're still two FBs, a winger, and two forwards short. I think the only 'starting' berth up for grabs is left wing. A right-back is fundamental as Gibbons is going to be behind schedule in terms of pre-season.

I would predict we line up as follows:

Covalan

Gibbons Martin Johnson Jones

Worrall Conlon Walker New LW

Rodney Wilson

With the likes of Smith, Legge, Amoo, Taylor, and Garrity in reserve. I think the option of playing with wingbacks will be there for tougher games/games where we want to match what the opposition are doing.  

Great post that be my team also UTV 

• Like 1

Advert:

Just now, Phil Smith said:

Am bemused by this signing to be honest. Am wondering whether DC sees him as one to develop? Having seen a fair bit of Hartlepool on TV last season he didn't impress me one iota: in fact few Hartlepool players did apart from Oates. In the games I saw, Johnson was ponderous, easily and often pulled out of position, and prone to clumsy cautionable challenges in key positions, due to his positioning! That said, welcome Ryan and I hope you have a great career at Vale. 

Do you ever have anything positive to say? I know for a fact we beat quite a few EFL clubs for his signature. Hartlepool fans are very complimentary about Johnson, so I’ll take their word alongside Clarke and Flitcroft’s judgement. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, joker1968 said:

Gibbo probably won't be ready for the start of the season so Smith will cover if we don't sign a new RB,either way i think Smith has every chance of being one of the starting centre halves.

I’d like to think we will sign a back up RB, can’t go into the sign with just the 1 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Do you ever have anything positive to say? I know for a fact we beat quite a few EFL clubs for his signature. Hartlepool fans are very complimentary about Johnson, so I’ll take their word alongside Clarke and Flitcroft’s judgement. 

What other clubs do you think were after him?

10 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

What other clubs do you think were after him?

I was told he turned down Bristol Rovers and Shrewsbury, alongside a number of other clubs. Apparently we’ve offered him a very good deal. 

I could be wrong. 

Edited by Portvale4
  • Like 2

Advert:

1 hour ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I think he will go with three centre half’s this season. Smith Martin and Johnson. Legge will be the back up cover. Two decent wing backs and another quality wide man and forward and we will be in decent shape hopefully. 

I think he’ll mix it up, but there is a strong possibility he’ll start the season with a back three. 

Maybe something like this. 

Covalan

Smith Martin Johnson 

Worrall Garrity Walker Conlon Jones/Mal B?

Rodney Wilson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Smith said:

Ahhhh well.

Cant please everyone.

Advert:

This looks like another astute signing by the Matrix - a 6' 2" left footed, young up and coming centre back who's been on the radar of bigger clubs for a long time. Well done, DF and DC, and welcome to the Land of the Giants, Ryan.

Given DC's propensity to change formation at will, we're sure to be playing 532 at some point but I don't believe that will be his starting point. In his last post-match interview he made perfectly clear he was only playing 532 because he had no option with the players we had, so I expect a change to four at the back, at least to begin. That would then place Walker in his preferred position as a holding, defensive midfielder and allow him to play Worrall to his greatest advantage further up the pitch. Someone has got to be laying it on to Rodney and Wilson up front!

To my mind, that still leaves us with two full-backs to find, two midfielders including a second defensive mid (DC was moaning a fair bit last season about only having one) and a winger, and one more striker at least. We might even go for a fourth young, loan striker, but we'll see. 

Anyroad, all shaping up rather nicely if you ask me. One thing's for sure, DC's head will be on the chopping block if all this goes pear-shaped but I don't expect it. The players too now have every incentive to take the league by storm though we will need to exercise something most of us are not very good at - patience.   

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 2