Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Advert:

2 hours ago, Dr Delgado said:

Which team were you watching between November 2020 and February 2021? It was the older more experienced players that got us into the mess we were in. Legge, for instance was personally responsible for at least five goals conceded with penalties given away or a distinct lack of pace. Joyce went off the boil, look at his sending off against Tranmere or his abysmal performance against Kings Lynn. Any shot at Brown from over 20 yards and I was holding my breath. If Pope deserves respect, then build another statue.

I think that some of the errors that you mention were down to a number of factors. The players were having to play a lot of games (we had played more games than the majority of clubs who had breaks due to covid for the opposition or themselves).

Scunthorpe if my memory serves me correctly is the only game that we had postponed before christmas.

The players were under more pressure as we had no one holding the ball up up top and next to no attacking threat from our full backs which is key to Askey's formation.

Legge had a fit at some point which also seemed to affect him. He also had very little assistance from Mills.

Confidence is massive in football and for a lot of last season our players were at rock bottom. We lost lots of leads and unlike the season before where we both lost games and turned them in our favour late on, last season late goals only ever seemed to go against us. Even when we finally scored one again at Scunthope it got wrongly disallowed.

Pope I think has a lot to answer for. His ban for something he had had numerous warnings about and his unwillingness to accept that he was wrong meant that he wasn't available or fit up until the point he broke his arm.

There are signs to be optimistic about the squad we are building and there are also signs to be a little concerned. We will only know the answer when it gets to October/November time.

For those having a go at people for being a bit negative there were plenty on here being much more negative towards the end of last year through until March. A lot of those throwing stones live in glass houses.

Lets see how we get on this season and hope for the best. UTV

Edited by wotsyobeef
  • Like 4

Advert:

Advert:

59 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Good spot.m

News broken before we have officially announced it then!

59 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Good spot.

News broken before we have officially announced it then!

another success for the media team!🙄:board::drink:

I wouldn't be shocked if we start with Martin and Johnson at centre half this season. There is a rising trend in manager utilising left-footed centre backs to help with build up play, and Clarke clearly brings this up in his comments RE Johnson

As we stand, I feel we're still two FBs, a winger, and two forwards short. I think the only 'starting' berth up for grabs is left wing. A right-back is fundamental as Gibbons is going to be behind schedule in terms of pre-season.

I would predict we line up as follows:

Covalan

Gibbons Martin Johnson Jones

Worrall Conlon Walker New LW

Rodney Wilson

With the likes of Smith, Legge, Amoo, Taylor, and Garrity in reserve. I think the option of playing with wingbacks will be there for tougher games/games where we want to match what the opposition are doing.  

Edited by Joe B

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we start with Martin and Johnson at centre half this season. There is a rising trend in manager utilising left-footed centre backs to help with build up play, and Clarke clearly brings this up in his comments RE Johnson

As we stand, I feel we're still two FBs, a winger, and two forwards short. I think the only 'starting' berth up for grabs is left wing. A right-back is fundamental as Gibbons is going to be behind schedule in terms of pre-season.

Covalan

Rodney Wilson

With the likes of Smith, Legge, Amoo, Taylor, and Garrity in reserve. I think the option of playing with wingbacks will be there for tougher games/games where we want to match what the opposition are doing.  

No way smith doesn't start 

• Like 3

Advert:

16 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Covalan

Rodney Wilson

I think Smith will start