Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

5 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I don't know what I was expecting from our goalkeeper recruitment this summer, but two blokes with less than 50 games between them at national league or above wasn't it.

Don't know alot about Lucas or Adrian and I wish them the best. After talks of Vigouroux and the like this feels like an anti-climax.

I find the fact that people thought we’d actually get Vigouroux quite amusing. Let’s be honest, there was very little chance of us signing Vigouroux. I think some people should be a bit more realistic. 

Anti-climax? Not for me. We’ve arguably signed one of the best goalkeepers from the National League, whilst adding an understudy who played over 20 games in this division last season. 

Covolan and Stone, for me, are an upgrade on a declining Scott Brown, the journeyman Dino Visser who hasn’t been able to break into any side in this country and an untested Tom Scott. 

Edited by Portvale4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

18 minutes ago, Wrex said:

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/england-international-trio-give-mansfield-towns-aidan-stone-perfect-grounding-art-goalkeeping-2502376

"My main quality is my talking – I like to be very loud on the pitch... I do pride myself on my distribution and my kicking as well."

Again the distribution seems to be a factor

Stopping a shot? Nah mate <ovf censored> at that.

13 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I find the fact that people thought we’d actually get Vigouroux quite amusing. Let’s be honest, there was very little chance of us signing Vigouroux. I think some people should be a bit more realistic. 

Anti-climax? Not for me. We’ve arguably signed one of the best goalkeepers from the National League, whilst adding an understudy who played over 20 games in this division last season. 

Covolan and Stone, for me, are an upgrade on a declining Scott Brown, the journeyman Dino Visser who hasn’t been able to break into any starting 11 in England and an untested Tom Scott. 

Not sure how someone who’s never played in the football league is an upgrade on Scott brown.  Brown struggled last year but is still a decent keeper. Honestly I was hoping for someone like brown (when we signed brown) a proven player at this level. 

Vigaroux was only at Leyton orient, not sure why that makes him immediately out of our league. 

I would agree with visser but he actually looked a decent keeper when he did play, certainly a steady number 2 and we will never know on Scott. Happy with the games stone has played. However the number 1 is a bit of a risk imo in the most important position on the pitch. 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

The stuff about not being the only gig in town and budgets all sounds very much like the stuff we heard during Askey's reign when he was bringing in utter rubbish like Whitehead while other teams picked up gems.

It’s actually the sort of stuff Vale managers have been saying since 1876 (or whatever the disputed day on formation). 

It does come down to money and yes our budget isn’t fabulous these days but then I don’t remember when it was? 

44 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Not sure how someone who’s never played in the football league is an upgrade on Scott brown.  Brown struggled last year but is still a decent keeper. Honestly I was hoping for someone like brown (when we signed brown) a proven player at this level.

Was  not a major factor in the Brown signing the commuting distance? 

6 hours ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
6 hours ago, werstayinup said:
I think some still see the National league as though it's the city traders...... wow i am just so glad social media wasn't around when we signed Andy Jones from Rhyl or Ian Taylor from Moor Green...... some fans would self combust

League Two and the National league ade not so different now. Most are professional and there is more cash down there.

Watched the N L play offs and there is NO difference in those games / players and the majority of league 2.

Having seen many games on I Follow this time, there really didnt seem anything different at all. We could have been playing any of those teams and any result would have been possible.

• Like 1

Advert:

5 hours ago, Walka003 said:

The stuff about not being the only gig in town and budgets all sounds very much like the stuff we heard during Askey's reign when he was bringing in utter rubbish like Whitehead while other teams picked up gems.

Lets have faith in our set up but we still have to wait and see.

Everyone was expecting a ' number one ' goalkeeper. We may have one but will just have to wait and see.

In D.C. we trust !!

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Vigaroux was only at Leyton orient, not sure why that makes him immediately out of our league. 

I would agree with visser but he actually looked a decent keeper when he did play, certainly a steady number 2 and we will never know on Scott. Happy with the games stone has played. However the number 1 is a bit of a risk imo in the most important position on the pitch. 

The fact that Scott Brown is 3rd choice at a club that Covolan supposedly turned down suggests to me that he is an upgrade. I could be wrong though? Browny was no where near up to the standards shown in his previous two years. Not only is that a strong opinion, but one which can be backed up by stats. 

Secondly, I really don’t understand this ‘proven player at this level’. The best goalkeeper in League 2 last season was Vaclav Hladky, and he’d never stepped foot in English football before moving to Salford. If you’re good enough, you’re good enough. Simple as. I genuinely believe Covolan will be good enough, and that’s why there was a number of EFL clubs supposedly after him. 

Yes, Vigouroux was only at Leyton Orient and I’m well aware of that. But, as I said, let’s be realistic. He was one of the better goalkeepers in League 2 last season, and there is supposedly a number of League 1 clubs after him. There was zero chance he was signing for us. 

Visser was steady, but he’s 31 and an understudy. It’s makes very little sense having an understudy at that age when you can bring in a younger lad to develop and push on. 

Covolan may seem like a risk, but I’m very confident in Clarke and Flitcroft’s decision. As you said, it’s an important part of the pitch and I’m very sure them pair wouldn’t want to make a t*ts up job of finding their number 1. 

Trust the process. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Where did the talk of Vigouroux come from,he was never going to be option,i guess he was linked by a dodgy rumour site?

I have just read that Stone's contract actually has the option of another 12 months,so could be classed as a 2yr i guess.

This is not a moan because i think we are doing quite decent business in the market so far,nothing spectacular but decent but what i will say is considering(according to Brown) we have one of the biggest budgets in the league we must have a fair bit left because for me minus Wilson i cant see any of the others busting the bank(we paid a fee for Garrity but that wont be massive),so it might get interesting soon

You are right about the budget and the money possibly spent so far. Still plenty of players to come in !!

• Like 1

To be clear, I wasn't overly attached to signing Vigouroux, he was more of a symbol of experienced league goal keepers.

My point is that we are very much in the unknown now. They could both be brilliant, they could be hopeless.

17 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

To be clear, I wasn't overly attached to signing Vigouroux, he was more of a symbol of experienced league goal keepers.

My point is that we are very much in the unknown now. They could both be brilliant, they could be hopeless.

Both are absolutely brilliant. Superb signings by the club.

Edited by ValeForever.
  • Like 2

Advert:

Where did the talk of Vigouroux come from,he was never going to be option,i guess he was linked by a dodgy rumour site?
I have just read that Stone's contract actually has the option of another 12 months,so could be classed as a 2yr i guess.
This is not a moan because i think we are doing quite decent business in the market so far,nothing spectacular but decent but what i will say is considering(according to Brown) we have one of the biggest budgets in the league we must have a fair bit left because for me minus Wilson i cant see any of the others busting the bank(we paid a fee for Garrity but that wont be massive),so it might get interesting soon

Didn't someone on here quote Carole as saying "phase one" is now complete, being the first team? If that's the case you'd think that what they see as the big signings have been made