Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

I do think we need a definite number one so that decision is down to Clarke 

I'm sure some of the older ones like me remember England faffed around for years with Clemence and Shilton almost alternating. 

I think there's probably a whisker between the two and they both now have to grab the opportunity. 

Be interesting see who gets the nod but as I said before it's almost like the length of contract suggests Covolon holding the cards 

Advert:

14 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Maybe there isn’t a recognised number 1 at this point.  It’s between the 2 keepers to compete for the first team spot.  Not a bad thing.

Edit: provided both are of the required standard.

Spot on. Why should we have a No1 & No2, competition should bring out the best in them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wrex said:

I don't want to second guess the recruitment team but I'd imagine we'll sign a younger goalkeeper aged maybe around 22-25, who has maybe 10 / 20 or so appearances at League Two level. Basically someone to push Covolon for a first-team place, or to step in and do a reasonable enough job for a short run of games in case of injury or suspension.

I must be plugged into the Matrix

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, Clayts said:

Maybe it's all gone a bit Good Will Hunting and the cleaner is actually the one behind the Matrix, making the subtle alterations to Flitters' algorithms that will prove to be the difference between promotion and mid-table...

if only we had a flux capacitor!😑

I don't know what I was expecting from our goalkeeper recruitment this summer, but two blokes with less than 50 games between them at national league or above wasn't it.

Don't know alot about Lucas or Adrian and I wish them the best. After talks of Vigouroux and the like this feels like an anti-climax.

• Thanks 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, jeffers said:

7 signings all 6’ plus. Certainly not going to be out muscled this season.

Hopefully not but no guarantees. They might be like George O'Callaghan who would struggle in anything above a steady breeze.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I don't know what I was expecting from our goalkeeper recruitment this summer, but two blokes with less than 50 games between them at national league or above wasn't it.

Don't know alot about Lucas or Adrian and I wish them the best. After talks of Vigouroux and the like this feels like an anti-climax.

Anti climax only for those who dont trust in the matrix. All will come good, I for one will be disappointed with anything less than the payoffs  this season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

We are not the only gig in town. Yes, to us, Vale are now a far more attractive proposition. But to the average player and agent what do they see? A club stuck in L2 who have been hanging around the lower reaches of the league not looking likely to get promoted. We are against other clubs who are probably taking chances by offering  far higher wages. I hope and trust that we are keeping it within budget, which means that we will probably lose out on some players that we would like to bring in. So we aren't in a position to lorde it over the other clubs and pick and choose who we sign, its a really fine job to the get some of the players we have. 

Look at the average age of the players we have signed. These are young, hungry, and in many cases physically impressive footballers. Its now down the DC get get them to gel into a decent outfit. Even at this stage with a few places in the squad still to be filled, I find it hard to see how we are not in better shape than in other close seasons. 

Let's get behind the team. We have got a team, manager, chairwoman hungry for success, lets see if the supporters can back them.

Spot on . Great post.

• Like 2

Advert:

Anti climax only for those who dont trust in the matrix. All will come good, I for one will be disappointed with anything less than the payoffs  this season.
I think I need to see the matrix in action and successful before I'll invest my trust fully.

Happy to be proven wrong though, from the outside looking in a few of these signings have baffled me, but we a team of 5/6 looking over this now, who am I to question .

We are not the only gig in town. Yes, to us, Vale are now a far more attractive proposition. But to the average player and agent what do they see? A club stuck in L2 who have been hanging around the lower reaches of the league not looking likely to get promoted. We are against other clubs who are probably taking chances by offering  far higher wages. I hope and trust that we are keeping it within budget, which means that we will probably lose out on some players that we would like to bring in. So we aren't in a position to lorde it over the other clubs and pick and choose who we sign, its a really fine job to the get some of the players we have. 
Look at the average age of the players we have signed. These are young, hungry, and in many cases physically impressive footballers. Its now down the DC get get them to gel into a decent outfit. Even at this stage with a few places in the squad still to be filled, I find it hard to see how we are not in better shape than in other close seasons. 
Let's get behind the team. We have got a team, manager, chairwoman hungry for success, lets see if the supporters can back them.
The stuff about not being the only gig in town and budgets all sounds very much like the stuff we heard during Askey's reign when he was bringing in utter rubbish like Whitehead while other teams picked up gems.