Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Let's hope he is better than the Slovakia keeper who has just scored a bizarre own goal 

Martin Dubravka, Newcastle keeper, who had saved a Spanish penalty 10 minutes earlier!!  If Covalan is better than Dubravka we'll sell him for millions!

Edited by Jacko51
  • Like 1

I'd place a lot more weight on fan reviews than wiki. They have actually seen him play and the level headed ones can give a fair indication of his level.

Torquay fans seem gutted to lose him, can't wait to see him in action.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I hope not. 26 games a season in two 44 game seasons for Torquay and 2 red cards and 1 yellow in 3 appearances for Whitehawk in 2016/17. Doesn't look like a replacement for Scott Brown. 

He does seem to me like a competitive back up. Let’s just put it this way, if it was a choice between him and Brown, Brown would get the nod. 

Why release a guy of Brown’s standard for someone who is promising but a bit of a gamble?

You’d like to think the nailed on first choice would be a safe pair of hands who has done well in the FL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

He does seem to me like a competitive back up. Let’s just put it this way, if it was a choice between him and Brown, Brown would get the nod. 

Why release a guy of Brown’s standard for someone who is promising but a bit of a gamble?

You’d like to think the nailed on first choice would be a safe pair of hands who has done well in the FL. 

Why is it bad to sign keepers from non-league (League 3) but fine to sign outfield players??

Edited by Jacko51

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Brown has been on a downward trajectory since the beginning of last season. He was costing us more and more goals with stupid mistakes and not moving from his line to claim crosses. I'm more than happy to take a gamble on a lad that's 6 years younger than Brown and is certainly on a upward trajectory, even if he's a bit older getting his chance in the league.

Edited by Mellor!
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I'd place a lot more weight on fan reviews than wiki. They have actually seen him play and the level headed ones can give a fair indication of his level.

Yeah, but its all about a contextual see-saw......apparently!  🤔 🤤 😂

Edited by The Kalamazoo Kid
  • Haha 1

I reckon Covolan looks a decent signing.

He looked good Sunday without his goal.  Made good saves in the shootout too.

Seems he had plenty of interest and the team he's leaving are gutted.

No doubt he's the intended number one.

Positive stuff again for me.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I hope not. 26 games a season in two 44 game seasons for Torquay and 2 red cards and 1 yellow in 3 appearances for Whitehawk in 2016/17. Doesn't look like a replacement for Scott Brown. 

You're right, 2 red cards and 1 yellow from 3 games for Whitehawk is an appalling record.

However he made 26 appearances for Whitehawk and wasn't booked once.

https://us.soccerway.com/players/lucas-covolan-cavagnari/283927/

Where did you get your stats from? I can't find them anywhere

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Crazy that people think he won't be number one - as much as Carol loves splashing the cash, I can't imagine that a reserve keeper (who will probably spend the season getting splinters from the bench) would be high on her hitlist. This guy has rave reviews from the division below and is 30, prime for a keeper. He'll be first choice and we'll sign a younger, cheaper backup.

I also can't imagine that either him or Vigereux would come here without a firm commitment to being number one.

Edited by gavcradd
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

......................................Convalan.......................................

Gibbons................Smith................Martin...............Jones

Worrall....................Walker............Conlon...............Hurst

...............................Rodney............Wilson.........................

Subs;Legge/Garrity/Taylor/Amoo

Have you abandoned you're 3-5-2 now?

We need a 1st choice ST or LW then its all about squad players to push 1st teamers. 

I'd be very surprised if Convalan is THE  nailed on no.1. We have lacked proper competition in the sticks for years and I think that contributed to our downfall last season when Browny struggled for large parts of the season. I really can't see DF making that mistake this season. I still expect another no.1 keeper to come in to compete and let them battle it out to win the jersey.

Squad competion is the only way to improve the 1st team.

Edited by MBE

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Yeah, but its all about a contextual see-saw......apparently!  🤔 🤤 😂

The weight of enjoying negativity, an agenda against a club that sacked someone’s chummy, or years of being used to uselessness oft causes people to overload the negative side of said see saw.

Its best to use both sides… more fun.

8 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

The players only "needed to go" if we subsequently get better ones to replace them. We'll see.

The players needed to go, regardless...otherwise we would still have had the squad that's been...inconsistent, at best, over the last few seasons! Individually, we must be able to do better!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Brown will be 37 next year, is declining in ability and is now a third choice.

Let’s wait and see the Tunstall Taffarel before we write him off. 

There were calls for Visser to be given more games last year after his performances… his career is no better than Covolans.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I'd hoped that, especially with a key player such as Brown being released, we had replacements lined up or at least identified. Seems prudent to do so. I'm wondering now that training's started if that's the case.

Brown was no longer a key player, and has gone on to be not a key player at his new club!

• Like 1