onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

I don't get all this about if we sign a 20 goal striker, then no one else will score. People do realize, that because we have a 20 goal striker, it doesn't suddenly disallow other players scoring? People are talking as if, if we sign a proven striker, the rest of the team will all of a sudden stop scoring. What kind of logic is that? 

6 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I don't get all this about if we sign a 20 goal striker, then no one else will score. People do realize, that because we have a 20 goal striker, it doesn't suddenly disallow other players scoring? People are talking as if, if we sign a proven striker, the rest of the team will all of a sudden stop scoring. What kind of logic is that? 

I don’t think that’s what anyone is saying.

The point is that, this magical 20 goal striker is potentially only getting the 20 goals because your entire system is set up to get him chances.

Doing that therefore increases their chances of being said 20 goal striker. It’s a kind of positive bias… put them in a side that tries to spread goals around and the goals may drop for that individual.

Or mathematically, if we reduce a strikers goals to the equation

Goals = chances x conversion success rate

Then having a style of play that shares chances around with different build up play and tactics that are not focused purely on getting the striker chances, probably reduces their goals unless they are a conversion machine in which case they will be playing in the chamionship.

So yes, having a 20 goal striker doesn’t stop others scoring. But having a system that spreads goals around means a 20 goal striker is less likely … unless you pay the big buck for conversion success rate… and then we are back to the cost vs gamble argument.

Is the knack spotting a player who will become that 20 goal a season striker. I believe Rodney can be that player with the right coaching. Whereas fans are clammering for more signings I think one thing all fans can agree on is we already have enough coaches.

Who is a 20 goal a year striker can anyone name a 20 goal striker that is available or has been available. There was 1 last year in the whole league and most of his were penalties.

All the midfielders and strikers released, transfer listed or sold had a combined 229 league appearances last season and returned a combined 15 league goals.

We already have Wilson, Walker and Garrity, plus a full season of Taylor, who are likely to match that total (at least) between them.

Therefore any other striker we sign, whilst it would be nice to have someone who will notch 20, only needs to contribute half that to leave us already significantly in credit. Add on a 4th striker, another winger and another midfielder who can all chip in, plus any improvement from Rodney, and you can see why a 'guaranteed 20-goal striker' (if one existed) is not such a priority for us to splash out a massive wage.

Who is a 20 goal a year striker can anyone name a 20 goal striker that is available or has been available. There was 1 last year in the whole league and most of his were penalties.
Prefer a 20 clean sheet goalkeeper, maybe just as elusive for us.

I think Scotland is a market worth tapping into.

We've already secured Martin, and the likes of Cadden and Hladky were the best in their position in League 2 after moving South last summer. Gillingham, Barnsley, and Northampton have already secured players from that part of the world.

I know Luton have just signed a midfielder from up there. Undervalued markets are the way forward; whilst unimaginitive clubs chase and sign the same old journeymen, we need to be looking for the talent they've missed. Get the steady journeymen in who you know can do the business and surround them with wildcards overlooked by other clubs.

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We've already secured Martin, and the likes of Cadden and Hladky were the best in their position in League 2 after moving South last summer. Gillingham, Barnsley, and Northampton have already secured players from that part of the world.

I know Luton have just signed a midfielder from up there. Undervalued markets are the way forward; whilst unimaginitive clubs chase and sign the same old journeymen, we need to be looking for the talent they've missed. Get the steady journeymen in who you know can do the business and surround them with wildcards overlooked by other clubs.

Northampton will do well out of Martin Foyle's Scottish leagues knowledge. Unfortunately. 

Spot on. NI and ROI too.

Archived