£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert:

52 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

One thing about Johnson… he’s another biggun

55CCA0A6-F817-4FA4-89CF-E51AAF241B94.jpeg

Crikey, we will be a team of giants at this rate 🙂

Looked him up on wiki and he is 6'2" but of more interest is that he has played several times for Northern Ireland's U21 team - former manager Andy Crosby.

The plot thickens.

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

One thing about Johnson… he’s another biggun

55CCA0A6-F817-4FA4-89CF-E51AAF241B94.jpeg

I've seen Hartlepool 6 or 8 times on TV this season and to be honest Ryan Johnson hasn't really impressed me: so much so I had to look up who he was when these rumours started circulating. My opinion is that he's a bang average National League player - I've been wrong before though 😄 There are precious few NL players this season who I think can make the step up, but the one that impresses me most is Rhys Oates, also of Hartlepool, who has had a banging second half of the season. However, looking at the wider picture his stats really seems aren't that impressive over his entire career! Guess we'll just have to wait and see if any more signings materialise, and who they are; until then I'll just have to keep on stressing... 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

You are aiming high on the GK front then?

You would think at least one keeper would be in for training unless we have a trialist in

Wouldn’t say that’s aiming high. Surely someone like king is exactly who we should be after?

31 minutes ago, Phil Smith said:

I've seen Hartlepool 6 or 8 times on TV this season and to be honest Ryan Johnson hasn't really impressed me: so much so I had to look up who he was when these rumours started circulating. My opinion is that he's a bang average National League player - I've been wrong before though 😄 There are precious few NL players this season who I think can make the step up, but the one that impresses me most is Rhys Oates, also of Hartlepool, who has had a banging second half of the season. However, looking at the wider picture his stats really seems aren't that impressive over his entire career! Guess we'll just have to wait and see if any more signings materialise, and who they are; until then I'll just have to keep on stressing... 

Kiddy fans weren’t fussed, nor too Hartlepool fans but he must have ticked some of DC’s boxes. 

• Like 1

Advert:

13 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

We have 17 players reporting back for pre-season training tomorrow, including no GK's and 3 on the transfer list.

Influx of signings today?

It's a bit weird isn't it? As contracts start on July 1st, reporting back over a week before, still in June, seems a bit early? 6 weeks of preseason seems like a lot?

• Like 1

On 20/06/2021 at 10:18, robf said:

My hero Andy Jones had an hour or so in goal once. I'm not sure if it's this game but we signed Mark Grew and he then picked up a serious injury on his home debut against Rotherham. In the same game, the redoubtable Alan Webb stoically played on with a split shin (I remember it looked like he was wearing one red sock) but couldn't go off as we'd used the sub. 

The following Week we were at Brentford. 06/09/86 it was. Arnold was back fit but got clattered and had to go off. Jones again stepped in for his second consecutive  period in goal. we held out to win 2-0. Maguire and Smith with the goals. Richard O'kelly I think it was came on as sub to take over from Jones up front.

I'm showing my lack of knowledge of how things are done in the professional game here but... do we need to have all positions covered for the first few training sessions?

Aren't the first sessions going to be fitness based? Things like the physio assessing their fitness levels, running, gym work, giving them training routines etc. I don't think they are going to immediately hit the pitch and play 11 vs 11 are they?

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Doha said:

It's a bit weird isn't it? As contracts start on July 1st, reporting back over a week before, still in June, seems a bit early? 6 weeks of preseason seems like a lot?

We have 12 contracted players who need to be assessed on their fitness targets set after the season ended,  maybe some of the new signings will turn up before July?  So a few days to get the ball rolling before the serious action starts.

I'm showing my lack of knowledge of how things are done in the professional game here but... do we need to have all positions covered for the first few training sessions?
Aren't the first sessions going to be fitness based? Things like the physio assessing their fitness levels, running, gym work, giving them training routines etc. I don't think they are going to immediately hit the pitch and play 11 vs 11 are they?
I think most people would agree that it's all about fitness at first. But also bonding and team building. So it's best they're all there, plus nobody is playing catch up because they've arrived late to the party.
  • Like 1

Advert:

10 minutes ago, robf said:

That sounds about right. Most of this will be weighing them in and other fitness tests as DC did say after the Mansfield game any who missed their targets were getting fined. Doubt they will do much work with the ball or any shape work etc for a couple of weeks at least.

44 minutes ago, Doha said:

the way they are going, it will take 4 weeks for them to introduce themselves!😄:drink:

21 minutes ago, robf said:

could be a plan rob!:drink: