Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

14 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

For me, a marque signing, would have been someone like James Vaughan in the season just gone. A pretty much guaranteed 20 goal striker, in L2. But I'm pretty sure we'll go another rute, as we haven't signed one in my lifetime... It's not to be negative, so please don't get me wrong! We just never seem to sign those established, steadily very good L2 players. They always seem to go elsewhere...

I don’t think we are a club that is willing to gamble on bringing in a £4K - £5k a week striker… it’s crazy money in this league.

Didn’t work for Tranmere

Advert:

18 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

For me, a marque signing, would have been someone like James Vaughan in the season just gone. A pretty much guaranteed 20 goal striker, in L2. But I'm pretty sure we'll go another rute, as we haven't signed one in my lifetime... It's not to be negative, so please don't get me wrong! We just never seem to sign those established, steadily very good L2 players. They always seem to go elsewhere...

We have never been a well run club as we are now in any of our lifetimes mate 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

I don’t think we are a club that is willing to gamble on bringing in a £4K - £5k a week striker… it’s crazy money in this league.

Didn’t work for Tranmere

Maybe they didn't get promoted. But if you look at the top scorers list, the top 5 are those believed to be the top earners; your Vaughan, Doyle and Henderson. So they maybe expensive, but if the pretty much guarantee you 20 goals (they got 19,19 and 18), they may be worth it. 🤷‍♂️ 
I know Mullin is cheaper than all those I listed, but he's a one season wonder, until he proves otherwise in the next few seasons.

Advert:

43 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

Maybe they didn't get promoted. But if you look at the top scorers list, the top 5 are those believed to be the top earners; your Vaughan, Doyle and Henderson. So they maybe expensive, but if the pretty much guarantee you 20 goals (they got 19,19 and 18), they may be worth it. 🤷‍♂️ 
I know Mullin is cheaper than all those I listed, but he's a one season wonder, until he proves otherwise in the next few seasons.

But for every one of those there is a Nugent, Andrade, Tom Elliot, Van Veen, Clayton Donaldson etc etc.

If the hypothesis is that marque expensive signings guarantee goals… I’m not sure I agree.

They probably increase the % chance that they might get the goals… but at those costs is a huge gamble. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

I think James Wilson is in the 'marque signing' bracket for League 2. We were going wild that we might sign a 50 year old Nicky Maynard last season ffs.

Makes sense Dosent it? Maynard a prolific proven scorer in this league and above, yes he’s getting on but so was Hughes. He would have been a brilliant signing. No question. 

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Makes sense Dosent it? Maynard a prolific proven scorer in this league and above, yes he’s getting on but so was Hughes. He would have been a brilliant signing. No question. 

Maynard scored 5 goals last season. Hughes was in a completely different league. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, Mellor! said:

Maynard scored 5 goals last season. Hughes was in a completely different league. 

Yeah struggled last season can’t argue with that and may well be past it. Still before last season he is one you would snap someone’s hand off at signing in this league. 

That may well be the gamble in going for an experienced played of that age as before then his numbers are excellent. Still looking back you can see why fans wanted Maynard. 

My feeling is DC would prefer a side that distributes goals throughout the team, obviously he would love a 20 plus striker but they command a premium salary, better to spread the money around the squad, also if the goals are loaded on one player it's a bit of a risk, a) The opposition know who to mark, keep him quiet and you keep the team quiet and b) Injury or suspension could ruin a sides progress if the lads missing.

As long as the side is winning and the goals are spread around the side I'm not particularly bothered about a marque signing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Did well last season didn't he?? not knocking it but i would sooner spend the cash on a released championship/premier young forward or even a national league striker than an has been striker chasing the coin wherever he can now

Only my opinion of course

• Like 1

I think when we go on about a 20 goal striker we sometimes forget about Rodders who got was it 12 last season mainly out wide,now imo put him down the middle with another forward and he could be our 20 goal striker,someone alongside him to get say 15 and then distribute the rest

• Like 4

Advert:

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Did well last season didn't he?? not knocking it but i would sooner spend the cash on a released championship/premier young forward or even a national league striker than an has been striker chasing the coin wherever he can now

Only my opinion of course

It’s all a game of chance. Who would you bet on? A proven goal scorer that’s possibly past it or a untried and untested youth player. Sometimes the experienced player works sometimes not. Sometimes the young lad works sometimes not. One thing is for sure, I still wish we had signed Maynard over <Edit> theo Robinson. 

It’s hard, we’ve had so many failures recently and what one success on hughill, im all for giving the young lads ago, nothing I like more in football actually but it’s not a given that it’s the best option. Maynard did struggle last season, but at the time he would have been a class signing for us. In retrospect maybe not. 

13 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I think when we go on about a 20 goal striker we sometimes forget about Rodders who got was it 12 last season mainly out wide,now imo put him down the middle with another forward and he could be our 20 goal striker,someone alongside him to get say 15 and then distribute the rest

He’s better out wide. Rodney will score more out wide that up front imo. I don’t see him as a natural finisher, he is class out wide and is brilliant at coming in and shooting. For me another forward would be great (maybe unrealistic) but having a front two with Rodney and wozza out wide would be lethal 

We have 1 devastating winger. That’s not enough. Need 2 first team bombers with Amoo, Hurst and another on the bench.

Need another decent striker too so we have 2 of 3 playing for places, all as good options then Robinson as a last-ditch slot in if needed. Obviously the hope is to offload him but I can’t see any of the TLed being picked up until psychedelics are legalised.

Edited by 1
Because I felt like it