onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
10 hours ago, WilliamBriscoe said:
Really hope this is the case and we have to give him our support until we have first seen in a Vale shirt (which could be tomorrow night).

So you're prepared to give him 1 game before withdrawal of your support is justified? Nowt like Vale fans

I never said that at all. I just said let’s see how he fairs in a Vale shirt first, which could be as soon as tonight. Even if he plays tonight then you can’t judge a player in trophy games as they’re not a true reflection of the league. 

more than willing to give the lad more time and games to prove himself as it will likely take a month or two before we see how he is getting on.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I’m happy to wait and see what he brings to the squad and trust the management team to have thought this through concerning what they see in him and what they thing he can bring.

You are the one expressing concern over his stats and question what he brings to the squad.

You must have some criteria to judge these players by… using those stats and your judgement criteria, who would have have been happy with instead as our 4th choice striker?

You seem to attack me every time I post? Not really sure why? I’m not attacking the lad but expressing concern with how this signing will increase our goal attacking threat? Surely I’m allowed to do that aren’t I?

I would personally have gone with a Billy Paynter type (or Tom Pope) type player. So someone from a lower league who we can develop or loan a more physical youth player. If Proctor gets injured then we lose that target man. If Lloyd does well then we will just be developing another teams player, that is unless we are able to sign him at the end of his contract next year.

it’s just my opinion (and doesn’t mean it is right) but it feels like you clearly have a far superior view to that of my own.

34 minutes ago, valeblue said:

Welcome George and hope you enjoy your time at Vale park, ignore the Championship Manager wannabes !!

I’m aiming for the Man City job myself. I’d take PL 11-15 with a good budget but that’s my limit.

48 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

You seem to attack me every time I post? Not really sure why? I’m not attacking the lad but expressing concern with how this signing will increase our goal attacking threat? Surely I’m allowed to do that aren’t I?

I would personally have gone with a Billy Paynter type (or Tom Pope) type player. So someone from a lower league who we can develop or loan a more physical youth player. If Proctor gets injured then we lose that target man. If Lloyd does well then we will just be developing another teams player, that is unless we are able to sign him at the end of his contract next year.

it’s just my opinion (and doesn’t mean it is right) but it feels like you clearly have a far superior view to that of my own.

No attack whatsoever... I have simply asked who you would have preferred.

Lets hope young George isnt as delicate given what he may read about himself.

The only player similar to what you describe I can think of is Nevitt at Tranmere... Big lump of a forward who will put himself about. He lives close to them and has been given first team opportunities to be the main man up front. Not something we could have offered him.

I cant think of any other goal scoring target men in the lower leagues, certainly not any who would have been willing to come and be 4th choice.

3 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Perhaps a bit like Proctor the lad George Lloyd is a number nine target man and not all about goals didn't the Champions last season spread the goals throughout the team with nobody getting double figures...that would be down to a good target man with good hold up play linking moves and knitting the action together and George Lloyd would have been integral to that....signs on loan from the league above having just won this league then George Lloyd has come to play....excellent signing and the final part of the jigsaw.

Lloyd is 5'8 so he won't be a target man. He seems more like a Luke Rodgers type that will just run around and harass defenders.

I guess I'd hoped for a young striker, but someone maybe making their first steps into league football that we might be able to sign at the end of the season. Someone that could be a success (Alex Jones), or a flop (Tobias Mikaelsson).

Lloyd has come from a much smaller team and had 60+ games for them where they don't think he's good enough.

I'll cheer him on every Saturday, but I don't think this will be a successful loan. 

I understand if it’s not exactly got the pulses racing if you look at his stats. The video of him (and I know you should always be careful reading too much into edited videos) shows someone who is able to lay the ball off to others, good burst of speed and despite his smaller size doesn’t get bullied off the ball. If we want to get our dangermen like Worrall and Conlon playing high up the pitch someone like that could be useful I feel as an option.

Obviously he will know as much as anyone he probably needs to increase his goal tally but he is only young.

Lloyd is 5'8 so he won't be a target man. He seems more like a Luke Rodgers type that will just run around and harass defenders.
I guess I'd hoped for a young striker, but someone maybe making their first steps into league football that we might be able to sign at the end of the season. Someone that could be a success (Alex Jones), or a flop (Tobias Mikaelsson).
Lloyd has come from a much smaller team and had 60+ games for them where they don't think he's good enough.
I'll cheer him on every Saturday, but I don't think this will be a successful loan. 

Smaller team in league 1

The reaction from people on here and the FB group do make me laugh. I understand people want signings to get excited about but I don't know where this entitlement has come from. We are a League 2 outfit, at the bottom of the league ladder trying to build. The main business was clearly done already but right now we're in no position to turn our nose up at a player that has come to us from a club above us.

No joke, someone on the FB group said "Not impressed but I'll reserve my judgment" I paraphrased, as the original was poorly written. If you're saying you're not impressed, you're not reserving your judgment. 🙃

Archived