onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

What were people expecting. We have 3 good league 2 strikers. Proctor has generally played at a higher level, Wilson's career has been on a downward trajectory but is our main striker and has found a level where he is confortable, Rodney is lively, has potential and did well last year. We aren't going to sign someone to move them down the order. This lad is young was good enough to get 30 odd appearance in the best team in this league last year. None of Cheltenham's forwards scored freely last year. Lets see what he offers, it's very rare for a player that age to play the number of games he has and when they do its not usually until later in their careers that they have the high scoring seasons.

I too shall be old fashioned and wait to see him play, I may even push it a tad further and not expect him to score 6 on his debut. The main reason for my patience is the fact I am not a football manager, never have been never will be and to be honest I can’t even play the game that well, I never even had a trial or had my budding career cut short in a sentinel cup fixture.

welcome to the Vale do your best every game you play and that will do for me.

3 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

Exactly

Agree. It’s going to be a rotation of Proctor, Wilson and Rodney in the main, with Amoo and this lad to provide backup. I know we haven’t been prolific so far, but I’m confident there is goals in our 3 main strikers.

I’ve got a weird feeling that Proctor is going to score 20+ this season. By his own admissions he has had a difficult 4 years with injuries. Also, you don’t get a move to a Championship team by being an average league 2 player. He looks fit and hungry from what I’ve seen. I’m backing him to be the surprise package.  

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Good luck to him. As above it does seem an odd signing and I’m not sure who / if he will replace on the bench? 

DC has already admitted that he has lost out on other potential targets, then bigs up the fact he needs specific criteria for a striker. He then signs a relative unknown with no scoring record.

Other than praising his work rate I’m really not sure what he will bring to the squad. I genuinely thought that he was going to try and get someone more physical upfront. I’m sure DC will dress this up as a great signing, which he may be, but he is similar to what we already have isn’t he?

7 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Agree. It’s going to be a rotation of Proctor, Wilson and Rodney in the main, with Amoo and this lad to provide backup. I know we haven’t been prolific so far, but I’m confident there is goals in our 3 main strikers.

I’ve got a weird feeling that Proctor is going to score 20+ this season. By his own admissions he has had a difficult 4 years with injuries. Also, you don’t get a move to a Championship team by being an average league 2 player. He looks fit and hungry from what I’ve seen. I’m backing him to be the surprise package.  

I think Proctor is our best hope as he is the most likely who looks like scoring.

2 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

DC has already admitted that he has lost out on other potential targets, then bigs up the fact he needs specific criteria for a striker. He then signs a relative unknown with no scoring record.

Other than praising his work rate I’m really not sure what he will bring to the squad. I genuinely thought that he was going to try and get someone more physical upfront. I’m sure DC will dress this up as a great signing, which he may be, but he is similar to what we already have isn’t he?

So if we signed a ‘name’ striker, who is going to be fourth choice out of Proctor, Wilson or Rodney? It was never going to happen. 

I believe Wilson will start to score goals. Let’s wait and see. 

I’m sure DC will dress this up as a great signing, which he may be, but he is similar to what we already have isn’t he?

How is he?

Proctor - Big strong target man
Wilson - pacy and technically gifted
Rodney - very pacy and rangy
Lloyd - Pressing and grafting forward

Looks to me to be completely different to what we have

I don’t know what some people expected. We already have 3 decent strikers at this level, the 4th was needed just as another option and as cover. Whoever we got in was gonna be a young chancer. And I don’t see why someone who’s played league games for Cheltenham at our level already is automatically worse than someone out of the Man U academy. Just because a player is in a premier league’s youth system doesn’t mean they’re any good - we’ve seen some right crap on loan from them before.

3 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I don’t know what some people expected. We already have 3 decent strikers at this level, the 4th was needed just as another option and as cover. Whoever we got in was gonna be a young chancer. And I don’t see why someone who’s played league games for Cheltenham at our level already is automatically worse than someone out of the Man U academy. Just because a player is in a premier league’s youth system doesn’t mean they’re any good - we’ve seen some right crap on loan from them before.

Agendas know no logic 

26 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Who would you have signed instead?

I can see both sides of this coin to be honest. He's a coming in to be our fourth choice striker, he's young, out of contract so probably eager to impress and learn from older pros. In that sense what does his goalscoring record matter, it only matters what he does for Vale, and if he gets a run of games in a month or twos time and hits the ground running, we will all be saying what a great coup this was.

On the other hand, DC has already said he's missed a couple of his first choice signings, and this strikes as a rushed "anyone will do" sort of signing. Seems hard to believe that is the case given "the process" but the manager has openly admitted this guy wasn't top of his list so where on that list is he. As someone said above, if we want a player with good energy who's gonna run around a lot, we should be using Eden Bailey and saving the cash.

Wish you all the best George, come and prove the doubters wrong.

Archived