onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

7 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

People keep saying that Clarke offered him the new deal and I don't think this is the case. Sure I read somewhere that everything was being set up before Clarke arrived. I like Hurst although he reminds me of Richard Eyre.

That's probably true - but, as the incoming Manager DC could have withdrawn the contract offer.

Advert

3 hours ago, Ron C said:

I like your enthusiasm. I'll delay my guarantees for a short time. I am not seeing us scoring much atm. I think we are solid and should be no pushovers but I'm not convinced promotion is looming. Mid-table is still better than most seasons in recent years.

I want to agree but we finished 8th and 13th in the last two seasons. We had two very poor seasons in League 2 but prior to that were in League 1.

We've spent 2 of the last 12 seasons below 13th in League 2, so anything below 12th is very disappointing in my view. Mid-table would still be in the bottom 3 of the last 12 years.

Carol has invested a whole load of money and trust in the past 2.5 years and I think she'll be disappointed with anything below a real, serious playoff push which may fall a tad short. 

I get people are worried about squad turnover but there's no evidence it inhibits teams at this level. Mansfield are celebrating decade-high season ticket sales of 2,439 and we regularly get 1,500 more than that at our lowest. Our aspirations should be promotion. 

People seem to be worried about being 'light up top' and lacking goals. 

I don't think we're any worse than last year, where we scored 4 less than the Champions, 2 less than third, the same number as fifth, two less than sixth, two more than 7th, and four more than 8th. Goals weren't the issue.

The issue was the, I believe, 2nd worst defence in the league when DC arrived. Despite the excellent improvement, we still conceded more than every team inside the top 10. We had, in my view, a good shot-stopping keeper who cost us by not leaving his line, centre halves who could not handle the space in a back 4, diabolically poor fullbacks, and a grafting but declining DM. The problem was the defence. 

We have, in my view, upgraded all of those weak areas, and have a far more sturdy structure to support this. 

Goals were never the issue folks. The defence was, and shockingly, that's been the focus of the DoF and Manager. 

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

People seem to be worried about being 'light up top' and lacking goals. 

I don't think we're any worse than last year, where we scored 4 less than the Champions, 2 less than third, the same number as fifth, two less than sixth, two more than 7th, and four more than 8th. Goals weren't the issue.

The issue was the, I believe, 2nd worst defence in the league when DC arrived. Despite the excellent improvement, we still conceded more than every team inside the top 10. We had, in my view, a good shot-stopping keeper who cost us by not leaving his line, centre halves who could not handle a back 4, diabolically poor fullbacks, and a grafting but declining DM. The problem was the defence. 

We have, in my view, upgraded all of those weak areas, and have a far more sturdy structure to support this. 

Goals were never the issue folks. The defence was, and shockingly, that's been the focus of the DoF and Manager. 

But DC isn't happy with the defence according to his recent Sentinel article. 

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

But DC isn't happy with the defence according to his recent Sentinel article. 

Good. Always striving for improvement. Never satisfied Thanks for agreeing he's a top manager with high standards. 

Archived