onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

So a left winger and a centre forward by the August deadline but if only two more signings where does that leave the trialists.....don't know much about the other midfielder on trial but Solanke seemed nailed on as cover for Walker at defensive midfield after all the new manager criticism of the Askey squad for only having one defensive midfielder also that left back on trial.....seemingly they have already left the building or having read that are packing their bags.

So anyway it is back to a left winger and a striker as it was weeks back.....Molyneux and Tshimanga seemed like good available options and even maybe Swan on loan.....it must all have something to do with budget and the three transfer listed players.

If the three find new clubs  the wages will go on a left winger and a striker but if they get a mutual agreement percentage pay off then maybe only one player and probably just a loan or some such and it looks likely that the situation with the transfer listed three is holding things up and maybe the club has missed out on targets.

Got to say the left winger seems an odd call now unless they can play wing back as it looks like three at the back with wing backs for the majority of the season and apart from having the option and in the odd one or two games actually playing wingers it does look like wingless wonders are us....Worrall and Hurst can play wing back but Amoo looks surplus as would another winger...would any funds best be spent on a striker and a good one at that.

30 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

So a left winger and a centre forward by the August deadline but if only two more signings where does that leave the trialists.....don't know much about the other midfielder on trial but Solanke seemed nailed on as cover for Walker at defensive midfield after all the new manager criticism of the Askey squad for only having one defensive midfielder also that left back on trial.....seemingly they have already left the building or having read that are packing their bags.

So anyway it is back to a left winger and a striker as it was weeks back.....Molyneux and Tshimanga seemed like good available options and even maybe Swan on loan.....it must all have something to do with budget and the three transfer listed players.

If the three find new clubs  the wages will go on a left winger and a striker but if they get a mutual agreement percentage pay off then maybe only one player and probably just a loan or some such and it looks likely that the situation with the transfer listed three is holding things up and maybe the club has missed out on targets.

Got to say the left winger seems an odd call now unless they can play wing back as it looks like three at the back with wing backs for the majority of the season and apart from having the option and in the odd one or two games actually playing wingers it does look like wingless wonders are us....Worrall and Hurst can play wing back but Amoo looks surplus as would another winger...would any funds best be spent on a striker and a good one at that.

Think it's key we have the option to play with wingers if needed. That's why Amoo is still about. For all his flaws, and there are many, he's a proper winger and is a nice weapon to have if the system needs changing. 

Hurst needs regular minutes and I don't think he's getting them here; Jones and Benning will be the left wing back options, and Worrall and Amoo are first choice wingers (+ the new winger coming in, who will be left sided according to Clarke). For all of his positives in terms of application and pace, technically I think he's a long way off and loan may be best for him.

24 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

I guess the flip side is that if a good LW joins then that then gives the option of also playing a straightforward 4-4-2 if needs be with Worrall and the new winger on the flanks. That sort of formation may suit Proctor, for instance. Similarly, a left-sided player may be useful for three upfront if we don't want to move Rodney wide. 

However, I do agree that the striker signing looks the priority of the two. I wonder if Amoo is going to be a "super sub" - bring him on with his power and pace in the closing stages of games?

Andy Caroll would be a good signing....would smash league 2
Offer some route into coaching, you never know.

What is Vale fans' obsession with offering any player over 30 a coaching role? Pope, Brown and Legge are the most recent suggestions. We've tried inexperienced coaches (a la Pugh and Sinclair) and it's failed. Just because a player was decent doesn't mean they'll be a good coach or manager. I'd rather us not be a training academy for any player who wants to try his hand at coaching. That's not to say there won't be exceptions, but if we're serious about building a younger squad and bringing through youngsters from our academy, we need experienced coaches who have a proven track record of doing just that

He may have developed enormously over the summer but I'm not sure I'd be buzzing at seeing Hurst starting on the LW against Northampton. I'm hoping to see a new one in place preferably before the 7th rather than a few games in.   

Genuinely excited for the coming season. DC must be counting his lucky stars at how he has been given such an opportunity to mold his own squad. Some solid additions who should be steady. My main concern is that we are lacking a cutting edge but that may well change before kick off.

Hard working teams that can't score can give up and lose their way. Hard working teams with a cutting edge can do very well.

We're part way there.

The "left footed winger" that DC wants is an interesting one as there aren't many available on a free.

Looking at players currently without a club that fit that description leads me on to:

Zeli Ismail - 27yo released by Bradford this summer. A player I've always liked the look of but has never really pushed on with a career to match his ability. 

Rob Hall - 27yo released by Oxford this summer. Karl Robinson hasn’t ruled out re-signing him this summer but maybe we could swoop before he gets that chance? Has played most of his career at L1 level.

That's probably about it as far as I can see unless it's a loan signing!

I wouldn't look to much into the comments of making the signings by the end of August.

It tells players that we are currently in talks with that we are happy to go elsewhere if they mess us about and are in no hurry to sign anyone.

It also quells any fans fears if we haven't signed anyone else in time for the Northampton game. 

I am sure if the opportunity arrives we would sign the players we require tomorrow but don't want to send the message that we are desperate and be forced to overpay. For all we know we could be chasing a player who doesn't play LW or ST but are trying to send the message to them and their agent that we are prioritising other areas and would only sign them at the right price.

2 hours ago, Doha said:

He may have developed enormously over the summer but I'm not sure I'd be buzzing at seeing Hurst starting on the LW against Northampton. I'm hoping to see a new one in place preferably before the 7th rather than a few games in.   

Shouldn’t be in the squad

I don’t see how we can go into the new season with 3 out and out wingers, that’s if you put Woz in that category. I prefer him as a wandering 10, but I acknowledge he is probably more popular as a tricky winger putting in crosses. That leaves Amoo, who many would have tried to buy out and few would say is good enough to play regularly, fewer still would call a starter. He has talent no doubt but I would feel nervous relying on him. Then Hurst, who is a developing player whoI would loan out tbh. DC seems to be relying on Benning, Jones, Gibbo etc. to do it all down the sides. We’ll see I guess.

I can see a lot of draws this season. There’s a huge amount of pressure on Rodney because fans will expect him to repeat and surpass last season’s tally. Wilson isn’t under that same pressure from Vale, only pressure to reignite his own career, which is different.

Archived