onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

17 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think Jones' throw will give him the initial edge over Johnson, but there are reasonable options at the back.

I would like a proper number 10, a Hoolahan type, which we've sorely missed for a number of years. It would give an extra degree of versatility to the squad.

I wonder if he sees Conlon in that role now he has options in midfield will certainly get goals in that position imo

Advert

25 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Think Martin will be the main man at the back this season, can’t see him not starting first game personally 

Smith is the main man. But I'd expect Martin to be ahead of Johnson and possibly Legge

1 hour ago, Mellor! said:

Of the players we've got now, this would be my team for Northampton. 

Screenshot_20210718-150857_Chrome~2.jpg

If we’re going for better production value I expect the next prediction to involve those rotating players with arms folded they have in the champions league.

8 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Because he’s needs to build up his experience of regularly playing against men in games that mean something. There’s no way he’s going to be in front of any of our forwards at the moment and just coming on for a few minutes here and there as a sub isn’t going to develop him as much as gradually playing regular games and going up the levels as a loan move may do. 

Totally disagree. I guess that's the beauty of forums...for most people!

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Can we please remind ourselves that this lad is 17 and isn't even close to being considered for a professional contract? He did well in a very poor U18 side last year and scored against two semi-professional sides in training matches. Most players aren't loaned till they reach 18-20. U18 loans are pretty rare. Players playing any role at EFL level U18 are even rarer, unless they're top talents like Bellingham or Baah

He is absolutely miles off being a contributor for the first-team. It'll be much better for him to go and play regular football with a clear development pathway at Vale for when he returns, as opposed to wasting a bench spot on a player who isn't ready and depriving him of competitive minutes. Training with good players can only take you so far, unless you're a truly outstanding talent at the top level of academy football - lower league players usually need some proper football. 

He will get a pro contract for sure. If you deprive him of...or delay... the opportunity to show how good he is you have to hope he does it somewhere else, lower down the Leagues, where there will be a lesser quality opposition, possibly giving a false impression of how he does. He'd stay here if it were up to me - I respect that you feel different.

@LancyTony it’s a fair bet that Bailey he won’t be training fully with the first team anyway once the season starts. He’s got another year to push on for that pro deal with the u18s. Every now and again they’ll bring one or 2 of the second year youth team into the first team training to see how they do and if they are up to it. That’s the sink or swim time, if a youth player comes into that environment and fluffs it or doesn’t step up straight away then it could quickly mean their chance is gone. Friendlies against kidsgrove and Newcastle aren’t the games that will develop him. 

For a 17 or 18 year old to come into first team league two football is actually a big ask and very few make an immediate impact. The one recent exception I can think of is Gibbo, who was i believe only went out on loan for a month or 2 at leek before getting his chance in the first team. Even Smith was out on loan for a season or 2 at Stafford and torquay I think.  It’s even harder for a striker, look at Dan turner as another recent example, he had loads of sub appearances that did nothing for his development.

Bailey has got to be better than Wilson, proctor, Rodney and whoever else the manager brings in. I even think Amoo may get shout as a forward this season. Too often in recent memory we’ve brought in young strikers who have struggled and they’ve been written off and released. We don’t need to rush his development at this stage, that’s all I’m saying. When he’s good enough and ready then we’ll see him play in a proper game. 

30 minutes ago, toyahw said:

DC said we were rubbish vs NF. 

I think that’s management speak for crap.  We were mostly rubbish but there were mitigating circumstances.  The goals were a bit soft in my view and, on a red hot day, to concede 2 to a team who were very comfortable on the ball there was always only going to be one outcome.

I think that’s management speak for crap.  We were mostly rubbish

57 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think that’s management speak for crap.  We were mostly rubbish 

Yep. Not bothered, friendly build fitness. But we were.... not so bad, first half. Going forward.

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

We've recruited  a bunch of  donkeys . Plus Mal. who already looks like he can't be arsed.  

How on earth have you deduced that ?

Couldn't give two hoots if we beat Forest 10-0 or lost 10-0. It's all about building up to the proper stuff. 

Come back in November and analyse then maybe. 

Ps Note to self, stop falling for the bait 

Archived