onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

36 minutes ago, nodge said:

We've been here before with Eldershaw and Turner. 

If I recall correctly, other than Brian Mills years ago, only Paynter has hit the ground running from the youth team as a centre forward.

Let's not pressure Bailey too much and develop him, we need someone in with a bit more experience.

Spot on.

Bailey could well  become a player in the future but if we're going to use him at all this season it needs to be bits here and there.

No way should he be thrown into situations where we're relying on him.

Not fair on the lad.

Advert

13 hours ago, philmpv said:
14 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:
Just a load of old tosh, only club who’d have him. Didn’t Quigley mk2 Richie Bennett say the same when moving to Stockport and he’s now at Sutton

I really think Quigley, like many others before and since him, has been subject to the instant judgment typical of some Vale fans. He was given a grand total of minutes equivalent to around 5 games for us, all in what most will agree was one of the worst Vale sides ever. Fact is that when given an actual chance he has performed well, scoring 35 goals in 73 appearances, including 15 last season.

We've had a few in recent times.  Harness was another during that season, looked nothing more than an average League Two player yet has gone on to be decent League One player(at least) who scores goals from midfield.  Admitedlly loan spells some players react differently to others but it could also suggest something about the coaching at VP wasn't right in the past?

31 minutes ago, Santa said:

I don’t want to add any pressure on Eden or anything but I do think there may be a little bit about him. He’s got a bit of a swagger and he doesn’t hide. We’ll see in the fullness of time. 

My impression of him was he looked physically strong enough to cope, something which you can’t always say about these younger players. No point having lots of skill if you’re constantly pushed off the ball.  Ok so this was against non league opponents but we’ve got 2 friendlies against decent opposition coming up, so, assuming he plays more than just a bit part, we should see how he fairs against better players than those he faced at Kidsgrove and ‘Castle.  No disrespect to those players intended.

13 hours ago, 1 said:

The defence is much much better than last year. Better balance, better players, more pedigree, deeper in terms of cover. 

On reflection, I think you're right. We must be better at RB, as Mills was dreadful. LB too as Fitz was also dreadful.

2 hours ago, nodge said:

We've been here before with Eldershaw and Turner. 

If I recall correctly, other than Brian Mills years ago, only Paynter has hit the ground running from the youth team as a centre forward.

Let's not pressure Bailey too much and develop him, we need someone in with a bit more experience.

Hugill did okay after he had been away on loan. Same for Nathan Smith. Surely it would make sense if Bailey follows the same path.

Dave Hibbert had an immediate impact didn't he(2 goals in that Luton game), which earned him the Preston move. Was he still on YTS when that happened or was he first year pro?  We didn't really get to see much of him in a Vale shirt in the end. Think he ended up at Shrews and then Telford before calling it a day due to injuries.

37 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Dave Hibbert had an immediate impact didn't he(2 goals in that Luton game), which earned him the Preston move. Was he still on YTS when that happened or was he first year pro?  We didn't really get to see much of him in a Vale shirt in the end. Think he ended up at Shrews and then Telford before calling it a day due to injuries.

He was 19 when he scored the goals against Luton. 

As people have said, no real rush with Bailey. We shouldn't be in a position where we expect a 17yo to contribute regularly, unless he's an elite prospect (which is pretty unlikely).

We have another year to evaluate him. I think keeping him in-house for pre-season to assess + test him with the senior squad, and then carefully choosing a club with good coaches and a clear development pathway for him (not just dumping him at Newcastle/Leek/Stafford and praying) is the sensible route.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I would be surprised if Bailey gets a chance this season, he’s only a second year scholar isn’t he, so his focus will be with the u18s to earn that pro contract I reckon. 

I will be surprised if he doesn't get a chance sometime this season. We have 2 or more less forwards on the books than we had last season, so if and when injuries and suspensions occur he will be drafted in. He is training with the 1st team squad so looks like he is on Clarke's radar. I know we have time to bring in another forward but for me we would be still short in that department if injuries happen.

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

As people have said, no real rush with Bailey. We shouldn't be in a position where we expect a 17yo to contribute regularly, unless he's an elite prospect (which is pretty unlikely).

We have another year to evaluate him. I think keeping him in-house for pre-season to assess + test him with the senior squad, and then carefully choosing a club with good coaches and a clear development pathway for him (not just dumping him at Newcastle/Leek/Stafford and praying) is the sensible route.

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

a club like port vale?😉

Just now, geoff1 said:

a club like port vale?😉

There is an argument that, if you believe a player is talented and you have confidence that your standard of coaching is better than wherever he could go on loan, it's better to keep them around.

What this needs to be in tandem with is regular opportunities for minutes, which he'd probably struggle with here. I think a careful loan is probably best. Maybe 6 months with us, 6 months elsewhere, ahead of the expiration of his contract.

39 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

It just goes to show if you're good enough you're old enough. Rarely do we see young talent emerge with any great immediacy. If you've been a follower of any football club for any length of time, we all know it can sometimes happen, so in that sense, why not Eden Bailey? What has happened with Clarke is quite refreshing, he would appear to be giving everyone a chance, including youth. If pre season isn't about optimism for fans then I don't know when is. I read earlier in the thread where someone said that we would be silly to expect top three, well I'll go one dafter- CHAMPIONS of league two with all sorts of records being broken. And god forbid if we're not, however I won't be any more disappointed than those who don't believe we can do it now. There's nowt wrong with a bit of belief, it's served winners well through the ages.

I did think he would want to have his full squad together for when they go away for a week but that's looking unlikely at the moment,i see Crosby says Solanke will play tomorrow and has been impressing those at the club so i would guess we will sign him up but that will still leave the wide man and striker and then we are ready to go....... 3 weeks to go....cant wait

Archived