onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

8 hours ago, LancyTony said:

He comes to us having gained good experience, despite his young age, and at a level not much below us - if we get a good season out of him that's excellent...and probably a deal cheaper than a permanent signing? Plus, he may be a loanee that DC is hoping he can sign permanent, later? In any case, does it hurt to take on good, young talent, even if it's only for a season? He may well be a squad player...but, if Gibbo is out for a while, still, Cass could play himself into first choice?

Nothing wrong with a good loan. I agree completely with you. Mitch Clark and Jake Taylor are good examples. 

Many clubs utilise it and players help them achieve their aims . It's a two way street, helps Newcastle by him playing ' proper ' football and helps Vale . 

Win win surely. 

Advert

Luke Molyneux seems a good shout and could Port Vale be one of the clubs interested in signing the speedy "wing wizard" and as the article says the 28 days to consider the improved contract offer for an U24 player is a formality and it does seem that Molyneux could well be signing elsewhere.

Molyneux left wing and as fourth striker Swan back on loan and Solanke defensive midfield cover would complete a busy summer of signings......never known one like it.....that would be 15 new players.

I messaged Ryan Deeney from the National League Twitter account NLmusings about our new additions, below is his response for those interested :-

Hi, Thanks for the message.

I can't say I've written in depth on either player but did note Ryan Johnson in this piece: https://t.co/KAoxeAukfU

CASS

Lewis Cass grew into the season. He's a young player that hadn't played professionally so understandably took time to mature.

Technical quality for a defender evident but had to prove himself physically. Did so and made himself first choice at RCB of a three or occasionally RB in a four. Comfortable breaking forward, breaking lines with passes and nabbed a couple of assists from open play during the season. Unfortunately, he was ruled out of the final part of the season with injury.

JOHNSON

Ryan Johnson is a really good centre back, IMO. Has a languid nature about him at times which may not go down too well but that shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of care. He wins the vast majority of his duels, not easy in a league full of "target" men. He's relatively quick, strong in the air and not afraid to move forward with the ball. Also scored a few goals from set pieces.

Saw murmurs of Port Vale possibly switching between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3. If that is the case, those two will be fine tactically.

Of course, their success will depend on confidence given to them by Clarke to play their games & hone their talents.

COVOLAN

I think Covolan is ace. Has a real confidence about him too. Type of character I imagine is good for the dressing room.

That's not to say he's a perfect goalkeeper. But he's definitely better than non-league & was ready to make the next step

On 11/07/2021 at 16:03, Tony Rodriguez said:

My understanding of this model of management is that the structure and playing style throughout the club remains constant although the personnel can change within it.

If it does not work with DC then he can be replaced but the new person will have to buy in to our way of playing. That then gives a level of consistency rather than disruption every time a new manager is appointed, bringing in new players to suit his preferred system.

The DoF seems to have far greater longevity and maybe the easier ride.

Indeed - the DofF has more security as it is his job to find a managerial replacement should the manager need replacing. Owners / boards seem to tolerate a Dof F much more, even if an unsuccessful one? But the structure is usually that the manager and all the coaching staff are aware of how the teams are expected to play - if the manager is deemed to be a failure, their replacement will be expected to continue the club's style of play.

3 hours ago, Budgie_2260 said:

I messaged Ryan Deeney from the National League Twitter account NLmusings about our new additions, below is his response for those interested :-

Hi, Thanks for the message.

I can't say I've written in depth on either player but did note Ryan Johnson in this piece: https://t.co/KAoxeAukfU

CASS

Lewis Cass grew into the season. He's a young player that hadn't played professionally so understandably took time to mature.

Technical quality for a defender evident but had to prove himself physically. Did so and made himself first choice at RCB of a three or occasionally RB in a four. Comfortable breaking forward, breaking lines with passes and nabbed a couple of assists from open play during the season. Unfortunately, he was ruled out of the final part of the season with injury.

JOHNSON

Ryan Johnson is a really good centre back, IMO. Has a languid nature about him at times which may not go down too well but that shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of care. He wins the vast majority of his duels, not easy in a league full of "target" men. He's relatively quick, strong in the air and not afraid to move forward with the ball. Also scored a few goals from set pieces.

Saw murmurs of Port Vale possibly switching between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3. If that is the case, those two will be fine tactically.

Of course, their success will depend on confidence given to them by Clarke to play their games & hone their talents.

COVOLAN

I think Covolan is ace. Has a real confidence about him too. Type of character I imagine is good for the dressing room.

That's not to say he's a perfect goalkeeper. But he's definitely better than non-league & was ready to make the next step

That sounds like a good appraisal, from someone with no agenda!

Archived