onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

7 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I reckon you're totally wrong. JP has scored almost 1 in 6 but, in his own words - and DCs - his main contribution is to bring other players into the game. Which is what we want, and, according to some, is TPs best attribute (other than his exceptional heading!). So, we are getting a 29 year old TP? Win win! 

Exactly this… the old “strikers are judged on goals” mentality is a little too simplistic and basic.

JP got a move to the championship with a 1 goal in 6 record. So that clearly wasn’t the reason he had his chance in a league 2 above ours.

I also love that in his interview he explains that he has been involved in FOUR promotions from league 1… and checking his games per season it looks like those mainly came as a supporting striker which is the role we want him for.

Experienced, hard working, knows how to get promotion, different to what we have.

Lovely Jubbly 

Advert

4 hours ago, Moz said:

Agree on the wages side of things. I'm not sure we'll ever find out if Tom was offered a reduced deal. I don't buy the age thing so much. Every squad needs a balance. Just look at Ellison at Newport. Got them vital points (including against us) as they made the play offs. This lad isn't a bad signing, but I personally think Pope would have offered more over the year.

I think the comparison to Pope in terms of a younger version, is a lazy one. By the time Tom was 29 he'd got double figures 4 times (three times at League one level) and fired us to a promotion.  

Ahhhh...the expected Ellison comparison! But - I hear he lives the lifestyle, and trains like, a professional footballer? I'm not so sure Tom Pope does? (I'm prepared to be proved wrong...if I am?)

27 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Yes - but you choose to disparage Vale fans who have a different opinion to you! You certainly made a case for retaining TP...but, again, i say nobody else seems to want him? 2 years ago and your post may have been appropriate...but facts show his influence and contributions are diminishing, season after season. Your style of arguing appears to be: state your opinion...and keep restating it despite there being clear evidence to the contrary. Carry on - I've finished now! 

I challenged Vale fans who replied to my original Tom Pope post with frivolous, disparaging posts. There are others on this thread with a similar view to me, granted there are more with the opposite view which is fine. There is no clear evidence and no facts on this matter just opinion.

16 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

In fact, it's our opponents who should be worrying because we now have - with probably one more to come - the ability to vary our play and exploit their weaknesses, during a game and from game to game. DC's challenge now is to work with Wilson and Rodney on how to get the best out of them playing together and then how to play either one or both off a target striker. Suddenly, the prospect of Rodney and Wilson getting 20 goals a season has gone up a notch

Totally agree. For me the different formations we could go with to start and switch to during games is really exciting. With squad almost complete I think you could make a really strong a case for 442,433,4231,352,343 or a midfield diamond. DC is certainly going to keep us all guessing throughout the season which is great news because the opposition won't have a clue either.

What a breathe of fresh air....

Another one in welcome to all the new players may your hunger to be a success drive you to be that success at Vale .

Whether they are any good will be determined on what they do at PVFC not what they did or didn't do elsewhere .

A new beginning a clean slate ,want it ,want the big games in the cup competitions and you will be judged by How you get folk talking about you in the right way ,there's a ground fill, fill it or at least get folk remotely interested in paying money watch you .

It's up to you as we will back you ,now let's have no more talk of promotion let's have it played out in front of the fans .

A Winning mentality and a never want to be beaten one .

UTV 

11 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I challenged Vale fans who replied to my original Tom Pope post with frivolous, disparaging posts. There are others on this thread with a similar view to me, granted there are more with the opposite view which is fine. There is no clear evidence and no facts on this matter just opinion.

Paul, Its good to have a different opinion on a forum but not the last word, unless ts a popular view.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

We've got to come to terms with the fact that every striker now signed with will exist in the shadow of Pope. Some fans will use him as the barometer and everyone will be expected to, at minimum, replicate his role.

Only as Tom Pope existed in the shadow of the like of Roy Chapman, Bert Llewelyn, Tony Richards, Ken Beamish and Martin Foyle some of Vale's other great strikers. If a new striker does well for Vale they will make their own shadow.

Not all fans, if any, will use Tom Pope as a barometer for every new striker. No one to my knowledge has used Tom Pope as a  barometer for AJ Leach-Smith, Devante Rodney or Will Swan etc or expected either to replicate Pope's role as they are totally different strikers.

18 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Only as Tom Pope existed in the shadow of the like of Roy Chapman, Bert Llewelyn, Tony Richards, Ken Beamish and Martin Foyle some of Vale's other great strikers. If a new striker does well for Vale they will make their own shadow.

Not all fans, if any, will use Tom Pope as a barometer for every new striker. No one to my knowledge has used Tom Pope as a  barometer for AJ Leach-Smith, Devante Rodney or Will Swan etc or expected either to replicate Pope's role as they are totally different strikers.

The last two were signed when Tom was at the club.

The problem now is that Tom has been released, and some fans will always feel this is an incorrect decision, in my view based on a nostalgic and idealised view of what he can contribute. As a result, when a striker is brought in, it's immediately "should have kept Popey".

6 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

We need a striker who WILL challenge Wilson and Rodney. Cannot just rely on a young loan player and another chancer for our two striking options.

I think that’s what I said in my post. Proctor coming in is just that man. 

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

The last two were signed when Tom was at the club.

How is that relevant to the point you were trying to make. Neither player was used as a barometer or were expected to replicate Pope's role, they're both very different players to TP.

Archived