onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

40 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am still unconvinced about DCs recruitment policy. There was lots of talk about an analytical approach to recruitment, big news about setting up a war room etc but it seems that we are a few weeks off the beginning of the season with no right back, apart from an injured one, an injured left winger and two strikers plus one we don't want. Considering the criticism of the previous manager for having an unbalanced squad it seems a little uncoordinated to me. I would have thought it made sense to manage Theo since he is under contract and keep him with the first team squad. I don't remember a previous preseason with 6 youth teamer and a trialist in a squad of 23 for the Kidsgrove game. Considering that this season there was supposed to be a lot of players out of contract due to the reduction in squad sizes by the EFL, what is going on? 

RZ chill, we are only at the beginning of July !

We are one of few clubs to have started pre season and players contracts have only just ran down. It takes time to complete the overhaul of a squad. There maybe a lot of players out of contract but a limited number of players who can make an impact and improve us. We will be challenging the big spenders in this league for the same players so patience is required. 

In the meantime enjoy watching youth players given a run out to show if they can kick on from boys football.

Advert

Yes. But more the volume of players across the whole pre-season. The closer we get to the start of the season, the more competitive the market becomes (as we found out when signing Theo).

Also, with such a significant re-built, you'd hope for some time with everyone in for the start of the season. Making them all gel is going to be tricky.

Personally, a few bad results at the beginning and I won't be getting on the manager's back. That can't be said for the majority of our fanbase.

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

State of this.

"We've got no 2nd choice right back a month before kickoff! The strategy is in tatters, and we are clearly panicking."

Chill. It's all planned out. We're miles ahead of most teams.

We don't have any right back who will be fit for the start of the season. Don't be disingenuous.

I’m yet to be convinced too… but how can you be convinced until the season’s well under way? “The plan” makes sense to me, it may be fur coat and no knickers but the time to arrive at that conclusion is about December and even then there’s the issue of how these lads fair on heavy pitches and how injury resistent they are relative to other squads. It’s an interesting time and I’m happy to see how a clear out works out. Part of the equation is the coaching and development of the group on top of the individual CVs as they stand in July. Lots of unknowns and ‘cant be known yets’. Enjoy it for what it is and by all means speculate, that’s what the forum’s for but no-one will end up being able to sustain grandiose “I told you so” statements as it pans out because there are so many unknowns.

When Dc came in we continued with our losing streak, making many even myself think we’re going down and JA should have gone in December. DC then blamed the previous management which he was entitled to do and he was right. JA would have taken us down with his lack of knowledge in the transfer market and tactics. DC had to come in and motivate the squad which led to us going on a remarkable winning run and offered reassurance to us, the fans. Whilst for me the jury is out at the moment on DC who some may describe as a (poor mans Mourinho), I’ll make my decision around Christmas, it won’t just be based on league position it’ll also be based on performance. We’ve made some very good signings and with these unprecedented times players will be holding back on signing for clubs and holding clubs to ransom for a lucrative deal. Unfortunately in football at all levels clubs will overspend hoping to get promoted, however not every one can be promoted and will then struggle for years to come. A good example being that shower in Blurton.

The strength of a forum is to listen to others POVs invade someone mentions something that you haven’t seen or weren’t aware of. Please let’s of some cohesion amongst ourselves.

COYW

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I don't remember a previous preseason with 6 youth teamer and a trialist in a squad of 23 for the Kidsgrove game.

There's some mitigating circumstances though - we did have two new signings (Covolan and Johnson) who have been given a rest. If they'd have been in the squad, it would have been 18 professionals. 19, if Gibbo was fit.

Considering it's very early in the window being (in the manager's words) 3/4 players away with over a month to go (especially considering the number that have already been signed) shouldn't be too concerning. 

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

I don’t think anyone can say they’re totally convinced, only time will tell on that score, and it’s far too early. Nobody has said the squad is complete, we’re no different to any other club on that score.  If you look at our rivals we’re all in a similar position, a few decent, on paper, names signed and a few relative unknown prospects.  Nothing wrong with looking at youth players and I wouldn’t read anything into it, keeping in mind we were resting some players who’ve only just finished their season and I guess for the other senior pro’s the idea of the first game back is a gentle breaking in.  Anyway, most clubs will be signing players beyond the season kicking off as match day squads become settled so anything can happen.

I’m totally convinced in terms of every single step he has made since he walked in the door regarding the players I agree with really. If it fails, then I would have done the same and we couldn’t have got better players short of Carol putting the club on red or black and hoping to double up.

46 minutes ago, Moz said:

We don't have any right back who will be fit for the start of the season. Don't be disingenuous.

There's 4 weeks before we kick off. We're short a right back and a winger from the starting 11, and a couple of reserve forwards. We have a DoF and recruitment analyst to work on this every day.

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I agree, but if we are having to still pay him money to go somewhere else, I would wonder the value of that? 

Usually with a loan deal the club he moves to will pay some or most of is salary especially one from the same division. Probably better to get some money to offset his contracted salary than none.

The Sentinel is reporting that Clarke wants to sign four players - a defender, a winger and two forwards.

Presuming that defender is a right-back then we would have one in place for the start of the season. We'd then have Smith as emergency cover to switch across until hopefully Gibbo is back fit.

I do think it's a little premature to say we're running out of time. By this point last summer we'd yet to sign a single player. Rodney was the first to arrive on the 7th July.

Archived