onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

3 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am still unconvinced about DCs recruitment policy. There was lots of talk about an analytical approach to recruitment, big news about setting up a war room etc but it seems that we are a few weeks off the beginning of the season with no right back, apart from an injured one, an injured left winger and two strikers plus one we don't want. Considering the criticism of the previous manager for having an unbalanced squad it seems a little uncoordinated to me. I would have thought it made sense to manage Theo since he is under contract and keep him with the first team squad. I don't remember a previous preseason with 6 youth teamer and a trialist in a squad of 23 for the Kidsgrove game. Considering that this season there was supposed to be a lot of players out of contract due to the reduction in squad sizes by the EFL, what is going on? 

Your starting to sound really pathetic mate like seriously. Have a day off

Advert

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

Completely ignoring the fact that Pope was only brought into this thread by Paul peddling his Pro-Pope propaganda. As it's Pope those of us who are not Pro-Pope are supposed to leave such a ridiculous post unchallenged?

Why would anyone not be pro-Pope?

Firstly can I  say I am impressed by DCs recruitment and feel we are a stronger side than last season. On Saturday I was at a mates Birthday party in the Black Country and got chatting to 3 Walsall fans. They also think their side will get promoted this season and are happy with their signings. None of them seemed bitter at losing their manager to us and genuinely believed they were better off without him. Talks a good talk was the consensus and didnt expect him to last the season with the Vale . We will soon find out. Also surprised we had released Popey and would have happily taken him.

Always enjoy talking to other fans from our division .

I am still unconvinced about DCs recruitment policy. There was lots of talk about an analytical approach to recruitment, big news about setting up a war room etc but it seems that we are a few weeks off the beginning of the season with no right back, apart from an injured one, an injured left winger and two strikers plus one we don't want. Considering the criticism of the previous manager for having an unbalanced squad it seems a little uncoordinated to me. I would have thought it made sense to manage Theo since he is under contract and keep him with the first team squad. I don't remember a previous preseason with 6 youth teamer and a trialist in a squad of 23 for the Kidsgrove game. Considering that this season there was supposed to be a lot of players out of contract due to the reduction in squad sizes by the EFL, what is going on? 

Wow just wow

7 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I don’t think anyone can say they’re totally convinced, only time will tell on that score, and it’s far too early. Nobody has said the squad is complete, we’re no different to any other club on that score.  If you look at our rivals we’re all in a similar position, a few decent, on paper, names signed and a few relative unknown prospects.  Nothing wrong with looking at youth players and I wouldn’t read anything into it, keeping in mind we were resting some players who’ve only just finished their season and I guess for the other senior pro’s the idea of the first game back is a gentle breaking in.  Anyway, most clubs will be signing players beyond the season kicking off as match day squads become settled so anything can happen.

25 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

What is your problem with having a trialist in the game?  Rudgie did it.  Most managers at our level do it?  What is your problem with giving some youth team players a go who may develop and be good enough without having to be counted in the squad?  Do you think Gibbons should have been in the squad despite being injured?  Do you think Johnson and Covolan shouldn't have been given a longer break bearing in mind their season only finished 2 weeks ago?  Do you really think our recruitment is complete?  Or are you just being contrary for the sake of it? 

18 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Your starting to sound really pathetic mate like seriously. Have a day off

I've got to admit, I have a few concerns. DC was quite pointed in his criticism of Askey and the balance of the squad - and some of those criticisms were valid. There's also no doubt that being stuck with Theo is a hangover from some poor recruitment. However, I do think DC over-released players as a statement, and that might come back to haunt us.

For example, we've signed two left backs and no right back, which was always a priority position (I never want to see Smithy at RB again!). If we wanted to sign a player of Benning's calibre, Monty was always adequate cover. 

Each and every signing takes a lot of effort, and I think we've given ourselves a lot to do in not much time.

I also don't understand the logic of the three contracted players training with the kids. Smacks of ego to me, especially if we can't shift them. Burgess in particular, and Theo to a lesser extent, could be needed early in the season, or at least provide capable bodies in training sessions.

I say all this as someone who has been impressed by the individuals we've brought in. I just don't think the approach is beyond criticism.

I think the signings so far have, apart from maybe the goalies, been good and improvements on last year. I had thought though, that given such a drastic (lack of) retained list, we'd have had key players identified and it is slightly concerning that we're scratching around at a relatively late juncture. 

I think the signings so far have, apart from maybe the goalies, been good and improvements on last year. I had thought though, that given such a drastic (lack of) retained list, we'd have had key players identified and it is slightly concerning that we're scratching around at a relatively late juncture. 

We are not scratching around

1 hour ago, Walter said:

I very much doubt Theo would be at the club still if he didnt have a two year deal given to him previously.

Complete waste of time that lad. He isnt interested in doing well for vale. If we can get him off the books then brilliant, but judging by how he conducts himself on the pitch, I'm going to assume hes more than happy to sit on it earning, doing F all.

Pope on the other hand, although getting on a bit, still offers something and it committed. I would of perhaps given him another year.

Very very harsh on Theo. No doubt he was crap early on and clearly demotivated by JA but he more than played his part when DC came in. Granted he still looked short of confidence in front of goal but his workrate and determination was clearly there for all to see. 

You could insert at least 7 other players names into this and say the same thing.

Wouldn’t call the likes of benning and pett scratching around but there we go. Understand the concerns RE right back and balance of the squad but there is still plenty of time. If we’re in this position a week before the first game (which we won’t be) then I’d be concerned. 

8 minutes ago, MBE said:

Very very harsh on Theo. No doubt he was crap early on and clearly demotivated by JA but he more than played his part when DC came in. Granted he still looked short of confidence in front of goal but his workrate and determination was clearly there for all to see. 

You could insert at least 7 other players names into this and say the same thing.

I thought he was the worst of a very bad bunch. Can’t wait for him to leave 

Archived