onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

44 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Completely ignoring the fact that Pope was only brought into this thread by Paul peddling his Pro-Pope propaganda. As it's Pope those of us who are not Pro-Pope are supposed to leave such a ridiculous post unchallenged?

Either way he’s gone and people are still harping on about him. Strange you in particular took a general comment to heart. Just let it go mate. 

Advert

Pope has gone end of. We all have views. I would have offered him a one year deal on reduced terms, if he did not accept no problem. The one thing I will say is no one will give the same commitment as he did. Name one player who would have played on against Sunderland? He wont be in the team  or dressing room to kick them up the arse if not giving it all, as we all would because we love vale.

Completely ignoring the fact that Pope was only brought into this thread by Paul peddling his Pro-Pope propaganda. As it's Pope those of us who are not Pro-Pope are supposed to leave such a ridiculous post unchallenged?

You are obsessed

41 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Theo might be off.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/headlines/19418184.colchester-united-keeping-tabs-theo-robinson/

If Clarke still wants 5 strikers as he was quoted saying, that would mean we should expect 3 more strikers to sign!

I hope so, but a loan deal? Does that mean we need to keep paying him money? 

All I would say is, Theo looked better when Clarke came in and although I would not want him in the first team as a starter, off the bench would not be too bad. I’d have him as a third choice. 

31 minutes ago, Properman said:

Pope has gone end of. We all have views. I would have offered him a one year deal on reduced terms, if he did not accept no problem. The one thing I will say is no one will give the same commitment as he did. Name one player who would have played on against Sunderland? He wont be in the team  or dressing room to kick them up the arse if not giving it all, as we all would because we love vale.

I know we need to move on from this but I wouldn't have offered a contract. The decision was made by a manager who is thinking with his head and not with his heart, as I suspect Vale fans in the main are.

There is more than one reason Clarke has let him go and they are pretty big reasons too. You can't have a rebuild if you're going to keep people around for sentimentality. Clarke will have looked at his age, his fitness, the type of forward he is, his attitude, his wage, also I'm sure his influence over the dressing room too. 

We have been in need of something like this since Horton left. A proper fresh start and transfers where other clubs are envious of the players we have signed. 

This is the area of football where you need to be ruthless, you need to make the tough decisions, there is no room for niceties and sentimentality if it's standing in the way of success.

I'm not taking away from the fact he was a fantastic servant for the club, but keeping him for next season is of the same mindset of where we have brought back ex-Vale players to manage because they are legends at the club. It's looking backwards rather than moving forward.

12 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

All I would say is, Theo looked better when Clarke came in and although I would not want him in the first team as a starter, off the bench would not be too bad. I’d have him as a third choice. 

To be frank, I’d sooner some young loanee with something to prove, who’d actually look half arsed coming off the bench.

6 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I hope so, but a loan deal? Does that mean we need to keep paying him money? 

Theo has a contract,  a deal that contributes to that contract needs to be considered by the player and both clubs, needs to be sorted this month.  Even as a 3rd choice he would have to be in the 22, DC may have someone else  in mind. 

I’m sure Theo’s a good pro and all that but we’re a side that’s not really got anywhere near promotion for a number of seasons, if there was any controversy over any players we’re looking to move on, he’d be quite far down the list of ‘would like to keep ons’. 
while Pope has represented the soul of the club through some difficult times, I also think it’s time to move on from him if for no other reason than his big name is keeping us back from radical change which is what’s needed.

9 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

To be frank, I’d sooner some young loanee with something to prove, who’d actually look half arsed coming off the bench.

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I agree, but if we are having to still pay him money to go somewhere else, I would wonder the value of that? 

My twopenneth on the Pope debate would be that the guy is a Vale legend and the tone of the conversation should reflect that.  That said, anyone watching the games last season could only see TP being, at best, a bit part player for us this season, and probably an expensive one at that.  There’s certainly room for a Pope type player in the squad at this level, but it’s time to move on and seek out a younger replacement.

I very much doubt Theo would be at the club still if he didnt have a two year deal given to him previously.

Complete waste of time that lad. He isnt interested in doing well for vale. If we can get him off the books then brilliant, but judging by how he conducts himself on the pitch, I'm going to assume hes more than happy to sit on it earning, doing F all.

Pope on the other hand, although getting on a bit, still offers something and it committed. I would of perhaps given him another year.

12 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I agree, but if we are having to still pay him money to go somewhere else, I would wonder the value of that? 

If we're paying him half his wages whilst he's on loan then that's half of his wages we aren't paying and can put towards a player that Clarke wants

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Theo might be off.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/headlines/19418184.colchester-united-keeping-tabs-theo-robinson/

If Clarke still wants 5 strikers as he was quoted saying, that would mean we should expect 3 more strikers to sign!

I will believe he is off when I see the official notification as he seems happy to collect his monthly money and do not a lot for the Vale.  Could be a year loan by the looks of it, but if they pick up his wages than that's as good as a transfer as we are not picking up his wages.

21 minutes ago, Wrex said:

If we're paying him half his wages whilst he's on loan then that's half of his wages we aren't paying and can put towards a player that Clarke wants

That's how I see it too and who knows what percentage Colchester may want to pay - it may be more than 50%, it could be 100%.

If I was looking at it from their angle I guess they don't want commit long-term to a 32 year-old striker so a loan makes sense in terms of them being able to possibly end it in January if it doesn't work out. They also don't have to pay a signing on fee for a permanent move.

However, from Vale's perspective, unless a better offer comes along, it means a reduction in the wage bill for a non-playing player  - even if it's not all of his wages it's still a reduction and even if the loan doesn't work and ends in January then it's still a reduction on us having to pay his wages for the first half of the season.

I am still unconvinced about DCs recruitment policy. There was lots of talk about an analytical approach to recruitment, big news about setting up a war room etc but it seems that we are a few weeks off the beginning of the season with no right back, apart from an injured one, an injured left winger and two strikers plus one we don't want. Considering the criticism of the previous manager for having an unbalanced squad it seems a little uncoordinated to me. I would have thought it made sense to manage Theo since he is under contract and keep him with the first team squad. I don't remember a previous preseason with 6 youth teamer and a trialist in a squad of 23 for the Kidsgrove game. Considering that this season there was supposed to be a lot of players out of contract due to the reduction in squad sizes by the EFL, what is going on? 

Archived