onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

If people think Pope 'didn't have much pace/physicality' to lose, they're forgetting how good Pope was at his peak. Watch some old clips of him; there's a stark contrast in his athleticism. He's over the hill as a pro footballer now and we move on.

Pope was never blessed with pace. A large part of TP's game was physicality all over the pitch, no one has said anything to the contrary.  Yep players do decline with age but the questions are, Is he still good enough to do a job at this level for Vale? and can we someone better? 

My view is different to yours based on what I saw of him last season, he can still do a job at this level and Vale are going to have to go some to get someone better with the same skillset. Arguably we haven't done so over the 5 years at least.

Advert

11 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Tom Pope was a very good player for Port Vale. A legend. Some of his moments will live in my memory forever. To name just 3 , Cheltenham hat trick, Rotherham away Boxing Day and THAT goal at Man City . 

He occasionally was controversial and tarnished the image of the club with foolish behaviour but in the main has been a great servant. 

Sometimes because of his style of play he was isolated and frustrated and the football was awful. Not his fault. 

However he has had umpteen niggly  injuries and at 36 soon his best days are long gone. 

This place would explode if we signed a 36 year old from say Gillingham who scored 3 last season. I don't want to hear comparison with Kevin Ellison either before that old chestnut is trotted out. 

He's gone, the king is dead long live the king. 

It's getting boring now seeing his name trotted out , it's lazy. 

The noise has been deafening from rival clubs clamouring for his services. Let's see where he ends up eh. 

I need a filter that deletes a post with his name in it because it either makes my blood boil or makes me wet myself laughing.

He's gone , get over it. He's not coming back, get over it. 

It's not disrespectful, it's the harsh life of a professional footballer. 

A wonderful Vale career and fantastic goalscorer. It's all history.

Let it go for goodness sake. 

There's nowt wrong on a thread about Transfer Rumors/Targets etc throwing Tom Pope's name into the mix especially as at the moment Vale are light on Strikers. To Post, "I need a filter that deletes a post with his name in it because it either makes my blood boil or makes me wet myself laughing" shows your true view and agenda on TP which is fine as you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

20 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Dr D, Tom never had physical pace his strength was an eye for goal, leading the line, holding the ball up and laying it off to bring others into play. As the squad stands at the moment there is no one with this skill set, there's no plan B.

Tom didn't have his best season last year for reasons we're all aware of. However,  there were times when he recovered from the "Sunderland injury" when he was bought on when Vale were scrapping for a result late in the season with their backs to the wall and he provided a masterclass in leading the line and ball retention, Bradford City away was one of them.

Last season several times the co-commentators at away games mentioned the absence of Tom Pope and commented "Vale wouldn't be in the position they were if Pope was available" so some people within the game rate him, it's just some feckless Vale fans that don't.

Pointless and petty calling Vale fans "feckless" for having the audacity to realise TP is no longer the player he was...a couple of seasons ago...and would no longer be able to contribute to a Vale side hoping to get promotion - despite being a top earner. Had he stayed I suspect it would have been on vastly-reduced terms. But - as others have pointed out - there doesn't seem to have been a queue to sign him? He has been a great servant for the Vale, for which he has been thanked time and again...but it's now time to say goodbye to the legend...which, I believe, is more than he has said to the fans? (If I've missed that, that's on me and I apologise!)

6 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

The goals for Brighton were 5 years ago... 

If you want disregard the more distant past then only look at goals from last season.  Wilson’s tally last term isn’t bad considering the number of games he played and the fact that he was played out wide rather than as a central striker. 8 goals from 29 games according to his wiki.  He’s a nailed on double figure guy if we can keep him fit for 30 plus games in my opinion.

If you want disregard the more distant past then only look at goals from last season.  Wilson’s tally last term isn’t bad considering the number of games he played and the fact that he was played out wide rather than as a central striker. 8 goals from 29 games according to his wiki.  He’s a nailed on double figure guy if we can keep him fit for 30 plus games in my opinion.
By the Post Match interviews both the Cs expecting 2 more strikers to arrive.

32 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I am expecting 2 more strikers in and at a guess i would think one will have experience and the other a young lad released from a championship or premier league club

will swan????????????😏

On 03/07/2021 at 04:30, philmpv said:

Read Professor Feldmans evidence in the FA Hearing judgment. He knows more about it than all of us combined.

Granted getting involved on Twitter was not the most sensible thing that Tom Pope has ever done but for you to use it as a reason why he shouldn't be awarded a contract is pretty poor, he's paid his dues for goodness sake. Tom Pope likely got snared by a "Race baiter" on Twitter and he paid the price.

Granted getting involved on Twitter was not the most sensible thing that Tom Pope has ever done but for you to use it as a reason why he shouldn't be awarded a contract is pretty poor, he's paid his dues for goodness sake. Tom Pope likely got snared by a "Race baiter" on Twitter and he paid the price.
Show me where I've even hinted that was why I thought he shouldn't get a new contract. My thoughts on TP are well known, and his twitter antics fall at the bottom of my list as to why letting him go was the right thing to do

23 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Pointless and petty calling Vale fans "feckless" for having the audacity to realise TP is no longer the player he was...a couple of seasons ago...and would no longer be able to contribute to a Vale side hoping to get promotion - despite being a top earner. Had he stayed I suspect it would have been on vastly-reduced terms. But - as others have pointed out - there doesn't seem to have been a queue to sign him? He has been a great servant for the Vale, for which he has been thanked time and again...but it's now time to say goodbye to the legend...which, I believe, is more than he has said to the fans? (If I've missed that, that's on me and I apologise!)

Note the word, "Some" in my post referring to some Vale fans who've made disparaging remarks. I've not claimed Tom Pope is  the player of two years ago but maintain he's still good enough to do a job at this level based on seeing every game he played last year and as Vale currently have no one with a skill set similar to his.

Archived