onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

3 hours ago, MBE said:

Swindon look in a real mess, even worse than us entering our promotion season.

Does anyone know what the rules are with a breach of contract for non payment? When can a contracted player move if they have been unpaid. I wonder if there are is a bargain to be had or perhaps players of the same mentality as Artell 😃

Persistent nonpayment would be a serious breach of contract and entitle the player to resign and sue for compensation. Depends then how long it takes to sort out the mess Swindon are in. The problem for the players is that while they’re stood round waiting, their chances of finding another club are diminishing.  

More seriously, wonder what happens to promo and relegation if Swindon go bust? 

1 minute ago, CambridgeDon said:

More seriously, wonder what happens to promo and relegation if Swindon go bust?

From what I understand I don't think there is any danger of them going bump. Admin a definite possibility but I think the club have 2 firm buyers and Powers is just doing all he can to prevent it to going to someone he doesn't want to sell to.

15 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

I’d love to be unconcerned about the lack of new strikers. Pretty concerned though tbh. Anyone else? (Wind up merchants need not reply)

Not at this moment. I do think it would be good to have them in the building. Personally i am probably wrong , but i think they will be more back up strikers. Rodney and Wilson surely his main men. So if that is the case maybe just holding out for what value there is out there.

Be nice at least by Newcastle Town next Saturday to see a couple in but i don't think it's huge concern yet. 

8 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

I’d love to be unconcerned about the lack of new strikers. Pretty concerned though tbh. Anyone else? (Wind up merchants need not reply)

I’m not overly worried as I think Rodney and Wilson are first choice, so we are just waiting for the strikers that will provide competition. 

I think one issue that is holding things up is Robinson. He will be up there with the highest paid at the club, so his departure (and how much we have to contribute to his future wages) will have a direct impact on the budget for his replacement. 

23 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

I think the forward players, the ones that score goals, create chances and make a difference, hold a lot of power in the transfer window, so are more likely to explore their options rather than signing straight away (unless they get a good deal).

Clarke has said he wants "4 or 5 strikers", so with only Rodney, Wilson and Robinson on the books I'd expect at least 2 to come in. 3 if we offload Robinson.

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

I think the forward players, the ones that score goals, create chances and make a difference, hold a lot of power in the transfer window, so are more likely to explore their options rather than signing straight away (unless they get a good deal).

Clarke has said he wants "4 or 5 strikers", so with only Rodney, Wilson and Robinson on the books I'd expect at least 2 to come in. 3 if we offload Robinson.

Agree with that, imagine Wilson signed because we said he'd be the main man, the no.9, he's close to home, and we gave him a decent deal.

He must be on a similar wage to what Pope received you'd think, so even if our budget is similar to last year, (and assuming wages we paid to strikers last year aren't subsidising wages in other areas for 21/22), that still leaves us Cullen's wage, plus whatever we were contributing towards Guthrie and Swan to put towards a decent back-up and a young chancer/loanee. Fourth striker is either Theo or his replacement (depending on if Theo can get a decent deal elsewhere).

Will be happier once we do have that final main piece in the puzzle, but we've got to be fairly sanguine and confident about the whole thing given how well the business has been conducted thus far, haven't we?  If you don't trust the management/matrix by now, you never will.

In conclusion, chill and enjoy Kidsgrove, the Euro QFs and the Copa America QFs (what a weekend!), any attackers we need will arrive in due course.

Anyone know what's happened with Tom Nicholls? Contract up at Crawley, he would be just the kind of striker we need to hold the ball up front for Rodney or Wilson to play off. Also played under DC at Brizzle. Not a prolific scorer but good write up in wiki about his ability to make the ball stick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nichols_(footballer)

10 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Anyone know what's happened with Tom Nicholls? Contract up at Crawley, he would be just the kind of striker we need to hold the ball up front for Rodney or Wilson to play off. Also played under DC at Brizzle. Not a prolific scorer but good write up in wiki about his ability to make the ball stick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nichols_(footballer)

He triggered a one year extension according to this mate. Good player. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57160191

2 hours ago, Clayts said:

Agree with that, imagine Wilson signed because we said he'd be the main man, the no.9, he's close to home, and we gave him a decent deal.

He must be on a similar wage to what Pope received you'd think, so even if our budget is similar to last year, (and assuming wages we paid to strikers last year aren't subsidising wages in other areas for 21/22), that still leaves us Cullen's wage, plus whatever we were contributing towards Guthrie and Swan to put towards a decent back-up and a young chancer/loanee. Fourth striker is either Theo or his replacement (depending on if Theo can get a decent deal elsewhere).

Will be happier once we do have that final main piece in the puzzle, but we've got to be fairly sanguine and confident about the whole thing given how well the business has been conducted thus far, haven't we?  If you don't trust the management/matrix by now, you never will.

In conclusion, chill and enjoy Kidsgrove, the Euro QFs and the Copa America QFs (what a weekend!), any attackers we need will arrive in due course.

We were paying all of Guthrie's salary. He was a free agent and we had him on a 6 month contract.

1 hour ago, mbycars said:

We were paying all of Guthrie's salary. He was a free agent and we had him on a 6 month contract.

Thought there was some sort of agreement/settlement from Bradford though to finish his contract early, which meant we effectively had him part-subsidised? Could be wrong on that though. Either way, we should have enough in the budget there for a young un as well as a more recognised back-up.

Like the way Clarke talked about the smaller squad and is actually doing just that, quality over quantity.

Archived