onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Considering some fans argued we should have kept him, I would say dropping below our league is a step down. 

It is absolutely a step down. Two steps in fact. 

Clearly money motivated.

Play for Oldham in front of decent crowds v Bradford, Tranmere etc or Fylde v  Farsley Celtic and Guiseley.

It's an absolute no brainer football-wise it's Oldham all day. Can't blame Joyce for lining his pockets at his age. But he should stroll that league with his eyes shut.

Regardless of money it is a huge drop down the pyramid with some games being akin to The Dog and Duck. Whatever floats your boat i guess.

Advert

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Garrity must be like "that wide-boy Flitters showed a graphic of me starting next to Conlon, not carrying the waterbottles for Pett and bloody Walker."

He's still very inexperienced in League football. I wonder if he was told that Vale consider him a long-term prospect and to not expect to start straight away but they will develop him? For instance, the first half of the season at a decent National League side may give him game time and allow Vale to see how he does. With Pett approaching 30, it could then may be next season when Garrity would start to seriously challenge for a place.

That said, football is funny some times - I remember when Rudgie brought that unknown forklift driver Ian Taylor and he leapfrogged more experienced players to go straight into the team. I would imagine Vale have also said that the onus is very much on Garrity - if he has an explosive pre-season then who knows?

I would imagine that with the squad we have now, the sensible message to the players is that no-one, regardless of reputation, is guaranteed a start and they need to put everything into training and friendlies if they are going to start the new season. 

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’d rather reside in Lytham or St Anne’s than Oldham.

They’re hardly the other end of the country though, you can travel between the two in an hour.

Perhaps he wants a promotion or two before he calls it a day. AFCF must be nailed on for one this season.

33 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

They’re hardly the other end of the country though, you can travel between the two in an hour.

Perhaps he wants a promotion or two before he calls it a day. AFCF must be nailed on for one this season.

His playing days are nearing the end, better to have 2 years than 1. Is Fylde more convenient to what he wants to do next, coaching, business, life style? Good  luck to him.

So it is unclear whether it is going to be 3/5/2 or 4/4/2 next season........

3/5/2 certainly need two strikers and a right back and a right side centre back but also a left winger but the last handfull of signings for that 24 man squad apart this kinda shows the players versatility and the expected "battles for the shirt"/available cover in certain positions of that 3/5/2 formation.

..................................................Covalan/Stone.........................................................................

.............................Smith.........Legge/Martin.....Martin/Johnson/Jones................................

Gibbons/Worrall....Worrall/Garrity....Pett/Walker....Conlon/Taylor...Benning/Jones/Hurst

...........................................Rodney/Amoo........Wilson............................................................

4/4/2......don't think Legge at 36 can play in a 2 anymore so in this formation it is time to do those coaching badges......think this formation most clearly shows the unbalance in defence and the need for two right footed right side defenders as cover for Gibbons and Smith but also competition for Hurst and a left winger and of course two good strikers.

.................................................Covalan/Stone..........................................................................

Gibbons..................Smith..............................Martin/Johnson..............Benning/Jones

Worrall/Amoo......Pett/Walker/Garrity.......Conlon/Taylor................................Hurst

.................................................Rodney..................Wilson................................................................

Many do not agree but that is 19 players and squads are 24 this season so five signings to go and obviously two strikers are needed and a left winger but also two defenders as cover on the right side of defense so a RB and a RCB.

1 hour ago, Burslem Academicals said:

So it is unclear whether it is going to be 3/5/2 or 4/4/2 next season........

3/5/2 certainly need two strikers and a right back and a right side centre back but also a left winger but the last handfull of signings for that 24 man squad apart this kinda shows the players versatility and the expected "battles for the shirt"/available cover in certain positions of that 3/5/2 formation.

..................................................Covalan/Stone.........................................................................

.............................Smith.........Legge/Martin.....Martin/Johnson/Jones................................

Gibbons/Worrall....Worrall/Garrity....Pett/Walker....Conlon/Taylor...Benning/Jones/Hurst

...........................................Rodney/Amoo........Wilson............................................................

4/4/2......don't think Legge at 36 can play in a 2 anymore so in this formation it is time to do those coaching badges......think this formation most clearly shows the unbalance in defence and the need for two right footed right side defenders as cover for Gibbons and Smith but also competition for Hurst and a left winger and of course two good strikers.

.................................................Covalan/Stone..........................................................................

Gibbons..................Smith..............................Martin/Johnson..............Benning/Jones

Worrall/Amoo......Pett/Walker/Garrity.......Conlon/Taylor................................Hurst

.................................................Rodney..................Wilson................................................................

Many do not agree but that is 19 players and squads are 24 this season so five signings to go and obviously two strikers are needed and a left winger but also two defenders as cover on the right side of defense so a RB and a RCB.

I believe you may be disappointed if you think we’ll make another 5 signings. The budget will start to run dry before then as we are paying higher wages than we were and rumour has it, much of what’s left will go on another forward. It’s more likely we will get another 2-3 in, then top up with a couple of loans in August. 
However, in general, the new arrivals are improvements on what we had - the only exceptions are the keeper and Pope position but I maybe pleasantly surprised.

3 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

I believe you may be disappointed if you think we’ll make another 5 signings. The budget will start to run dry before then as we are paying higher wages than we were and rumour has it, much of what’s left will go on another forward. It’s more likely we will get another 2-3 in, then top up with a couple of loans in August. 

I haven't heard any of the rumours but I agree that that makes absolute sense to me based on our current squad.

I suppose the three transfer listed players are a bit of a wildcard. If Robinson gets fixed up somewhere else then maybe we can sign another player or two. Maybe we'll pay 1/2/3 of them a settlement on their contract/s. Maybe one or more will be reintroduced into the squad. Who knows.

5 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

However, in general, the new arrivals are improvements on what we had - the only exceptions are the keeper and Pope position but I maybe pleasantly surprised.

Clarke said he thinks a 24 man squad is about right. So it does leave scope for 5 more signings (1-2 might be loans) ,if we can can get rid of the 3 transfer listed players. Personally, I think all 3 will leave, it just depends what we will have to contribute to their wages as to what the budget will be for their replacements. 

soothsayer.....believes I'll be disapointed if I think we'll make another five signings then goes on to say we will sign two or three more players and a couple of loan signings which is like another five signings.....we certainly need two strikers and a left winger but also two right footed right side defenders as cover for  Gibbons and Smith and balance the defence...that is five more players and would make 24 players and why go into the season with a lack of cover on the right side of defence or left wing and it has got to be two strikers as otherwise one injury and there is nothing on the bench....the rules are a squad of 24 and we have 19 so five more signings.

I can't see any of Walker, Pett or Conlon being on the bench. We're going with 3 in midfield, so either 5-3-2 or more often than not 4-3-3, in my opinion. And with those three in midfield we really should be able to dictate and dominate most sides in League Two. It's a terrific midfield for this level, and so much better than anything we've had for donkeys years.

Agree that if any 'big' signing remains, it has to be up top, as apart from that I think we have our matchday 18, and definitely have a starting XI for every possible formation. With Gibbo unlikely to be 100% fit for the start of the season though, what about a 4-2-3-1?

Covolan

Smith        Martin            Johnson         Benning

Pett        Walker

Worrall          Conlon         Rodney

Wilson

Subs - Stone, Legge, Jones, Garrity, Taylor, Amoo, new FW

That has plenty of energy to press high when we're off the ball, and the ability to transition to a 3-5-2 in possession, with Benning bombing on and Rodney running the channels. DC seemed to like the flexibility of a back 4 with 3 who can play CB, with one FB playing further forward. 

I also wonder then if Jones comes into the equation a bit more if playing a back 4 when Gibbo is fit, to provide that balance, particularly against a strong/bigger attacking side where we want to keep it tighter (so Gibbo  Smith  Martin  Jones, with Gibbo bombing on).

Either way it's great to have options like this.

3 minutes ago, Clayts said:

Agree that if any 'big' signing remains, it has to be up top, as apart from that I think we have our matchday 18, and definitely have a starting XI for every possible formation. With Gibbo unlikely to be 100% fit for the start of the season though, what about a 4-2-3-1?

Covolan

Smith        Martin            Johnson         Benning

Pett        Walker

Worrall          Conlon         Rodney

Wilson

Subs - Stone, Legge, Jones, Garrity, Taylor, Amoo, new FW

That has plenty of energy to press high when we're off the ball, and the ability to transition to a 3-5-2 in possession, with Benning bombing on and Rodney running the channels. DC seemed to like the flexibility of a back 4 with 3 who can play CB, with one FB playing further forward. 

I also wonder then if Jones comes into the equation a bit more if playing a back 4 when Gibbo is fit, to provide that balance, particularly against a strong/bigger attacking side where we want to keep it tighter (so Gibbo  Smith  Martin  Jones, with Gibbo bombing on).

Either way it's great to have options like this.

That's just sexy and makes me want to fondle my screen. Again.

Though a lot of Hartlepool fans are saying that Johnson isn't comfortable in a back 4, but excellent as part of a back 3.

Archived