Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Covolan

Gibbo - Martin - Johnson - Smith - Jones 

Walker - Taylor - Conlon

Wilson - Rodders

Not a bad team all up, one with a decent chance of higher mid table/lower play off places imo. However I think we need first season Taylor and Man Utd Wilson to turn up if we want to really challenge. Either that or have better competition ready to take there place if they aren't performing. 

Advert

10 hours ago, 1 said:

Can we change the title of the thread to ‘literally anything you want to talk about, even if it’s a general argument involving just a few people, doesn’t even have to be current Vale affairs, it can be rehashing club history and all sorts, just go for it, whatever comes to mind just type away and post’

People should know before scrolling through.

I think there is a character limit on thread titles

There is likely to be some movement of players as all the out of contract and released players have now had there last pay cheques. The better players are going to have to make there minds up or risk not getting anything.

19 minutes ago, bomber said:

There is likely to be some movement of players as all the out of contract and released players have now had there last pay cheques. The better players are going to have to make there minds up or risk not getting anything.

Totally agree,they all stop being paid after Wednesday and tbf a lot of the better players(your Bennings etc) will be playing team off for the best offers but as you say it will now get to make your mind up time

12 hours ago, Phil Smith said:

Personally, am somewhat in agreement with you on your 5; I would have sounded all 5 out to the possibility of a one year contract. However, given their ages / expected contribution going forward (i.e. experienced back up, with the exception of Brown who'd still probably start as my number 1), terms would be reduced. These players are head and shoulders above our back up players from last season, and it is those players [the back ups] that exposed our achilles heel last term: our first team was good enough if all could get on the pitch; however, when more than one was out for whatever reason we were woefully exposed. Looks like Monty was on his way anyway, so fair enough the 5 becomes 4. If any of the remaining 4 didn't fancy their new terms/role then fine, good luck for the future: we move on. Just one more comment: I thought Pope deserved more respect. 

Which team were you watching between November 2020 and February 2021? It was the older more experienced players that got us into the mess we were in. Legge, for instance was personally responsible for at least five goals conceded with penalties given away or a distinct lack of pace. Joyce went off the boil, look at his sending off against Tranmere or his abysmal performance against Kings Lynn. Any shot at Brown from over 20 yards and I was holding my breath. If Pope deserves respect, then build another statue. Nothing is forever. It makes me laugh how some on here are offended by Clarke's kiddums, psychology, management or whatever you want to call it, that he used to string an 8 game unbeaten run together. If some of those players thought they were nailed on for a new contract would they have performed as well? Clarke did whatever he had to do, to get players to perform for Port Vale and I can only applaud that. If he hadn't I'd be looking forward to an away day at Chesterfield.

Jesus christ i come on here to read about potential signings and come off feeling depressed. Why is there so much negativity like seriously. We havent seen any of these players kick a ball yet and a lot of people saying not impressed by them. Have a day off were you impressed when we signed tom conlon, no. Were you impressed when we signed worral, no, were you impressed when we signed pope, no. When was the last time you were impressed. These players are in league two for a reason so they are always going to be a bit of a gamble. The pedigree of the players we have signed i think is better than the past few seasons. We are clearly trying to build something this season why not actually support the team rather than constantly writing them off. There was so much negativity last season and rightly so. But why dont we all go into this new season with a bit of positivity and get behind the boys until proven otherwise. Support the team dont belittle and criticise at every single thing we do

42 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Totally agree,they all stop being paid after Wednesday and tbf a lot of the better players(your Bennings etc) will be playing team off for the best offers but as you say it will now get to make your mind up time

Players have 2 months to play clubs off against each other, whether there is a shortage or surplus of players this transfer window will affect their pay packets.

6 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Covolan

Gibbo - Martin - Johnson - Smith - Jones 

Walker - Taylor - Conlon

Wilson - Rodders

Not a bad team all up, one with a decent chance of higher mid table/lower play off places imo. However I think we need first season Taylor and Man Utd Wilson to turn up if we want to really challenge. Either that or have better competition ready to take there place if they aren't performing. 

Worrall? 

2 hours ago, bomber said:

If they have been given a free I think they get a July payments as well - 1 month ‘severance’ pay

2 hours ago, Dr Delgado said:

Which team were you watching between November 2020 and February 2021? It was the older more experienced players that got us into the mess we were in. Legge, for instance was personally responsible for at least five goals conceded with penalties given away or a distinct lack of pace. Joyce went off the boil, look at his sending off against Tranmere or his abysmal performance against Kings Lynn. Any shot at Brown from over 20 yards and I was holding my breath. If Pope deserves respect, then build another statue.

I think that some of the errors that you mention were down to a number of factors. The players were having to play a lot of games (we had played more games than the majority of clubs who had breaks due to covid for the opposition or themselves).

Scunthorpe if my memory serves me correctly is the only game that we had postponed before christmas.

The players were under more pressure as we had no one holding the ball up up top and next to no attacking threat from our full backs which is key to Askey's formation.

Legge had a fit at some point which also seemed to affect him. He also had very little assistance from Mills.

Confidence is massive in football and for a lot of last season our players were at rock bottom. We lost lots of leads and unlike the season before where we both lost games and turned them in our favour late on, last season late goals only ever seemed to go against us. Even when we finally scored one again at Scunthope it got wrongly disallowed.

Pope I think has a lot to answer for. His ban for something he had had numerous warnings about and his unwillingness to accept that he was wrong meant that he wasn't available or fit up until the point he broke his arm.

There are signs to be optimistic about the squad we are building and there are also signs to be a little concerned. We will only know the answer when it gets to October/November time.

For those having a go at people for being a bit negative there were plenty on here being much more negative towards the end of last year through until March. A lot of those throwing stones live in glass houses.

Lets see how we get on this season and hope for the best. UTV

Archived