onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

3 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

No, not every player is on upward trajectory but my point is that it would still be a criteria when considering signings.

Also, would we as fans prefer a spine of brisley, Joyce and pope/Cullen or Martin, Walker and Wilson?

Will let you know in October

Advert

I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong if we get promoted. I remember the excitement when it happened last time.
So let's get this right if we get promoted you will admit your wrong but if we don't you will say I told you so.....You can't lose.... heads I win tails you lose

Just now, Mario said:
54 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:
I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong if we get promoted. I remember the excitement when it happened last time.

So let's get this right if we get promoted you will admit your wrong but if we don't you will say I told you so.....You can't lose.... heads I win tails you lose

Seems simple enough, if we get promoted I will be wrong., If we don't, maybe I had a point. I don't mind at all if I am wrong. 

4 hours ago, Phil Smith said:

Have to admit that I don't see the recruitment we've done so far as decent. Far from it, on paper anyway. Looking at the player stats it would appear the only matrix criteria has been to be above six foot tall. None of our signings have averaged over 20-30 games a season throughout their careers so far (the exact opposite DC said he was looking for). Everyone seems pleased with the James Wilson signing but he has consistently failed to live up to expectations so far: over his seven year senior career he's averaged 13 games a season with an average of 2.4 goals a season (yes, not a typo, 2.. W4). If the player who was once thought was in there is still in there then were really going to have to show him the love and hopefully he will finally come good. At the moment I think we are looking at a very transitional season at best unless better signings come along in the next couple of weeks, not the play-offs/promotion season many Vale fans are expecting. But as you all know Vale fans can be very impatient and DC's honeymoon period could quickly come to an end. Lets be honest, before the winning streak towards the end of last season, had supporters been in attendance they'd have been calling for his head (based on results, and forgetting the improved performances). Am hoping that DC knows something about these signings that their stats have obscured. 

Lot of truth there Phil Smith.

Matrix is all well and good if we are successful. We can all say how well it has gone so far but until we see the results we dont have a clue. Yes we needed to replace all the players released, in my opinion, but only with better players. We are still a few first team players missing for me and we certainly dont seem to have spent as much on wages as previously.

D. C. has yet to win me over but time and results will tell. Words really are cheap, its results that matter. I find him arrogant, no one is bigger than him and he is no. 1. Again give us the results and i will be over the moon with him.

Really did expect better in the players signed so far. Wonder how many players we put in for but failed to get, if any. Massive gamble by Carol and i hope she is successful with the choice of management team. She above anyone deserves it.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Montano, Brisley, Pope, Joyce and Brown. Will really miss watching Monty, Brisley was a steady dependable CB, Pope was a character and frightened the opposition. Joyce did a difficult job well and Brown is a reliable keeper. New keepers might be okay but it is a bad position to have someone short on confidence, I was at Crewe when Ryan Boot had his meltdown and I really felt for the guy. 

You could easily put forward a case for Monty staying, but the rest were well past their best. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Montano, Brisley, Pope, Joyce and Brown. Will really miss watching Monty, Brisley was a steady dependable CB, Pope was a character and frightened the opposition. Joyce did a difficult job well and Brown is a reliable keeper. New keepers might be okay but it is a bad position to have someone short on confidence, I was at Crewe when Ryan Boot had his meltdown and I really felt for the guy. 

Personally, am somewhat in agreement with you on your 5; I would have sounded all 5 out to the possibility of a one year contract. However, given their ages / expected contribution going forward (i.e. experienced back up, with the exception of Brown who'd still probably start as my number 1), terms would be reduced. These players are head and shoulders above our back up players from last season, and it is those players [the back ups] that exposed our achilles heel last term: our first team was good enough if all could get on the pitch; however, when more than one was out for whatever reason we were woefully exposed. Looks like Monty was on his way anyway, so fair enough the 5 becomes 4. If any of the remaining 4 didn't fancy their new terms/role then fine, good luck for the future: we move on. Just one more comment: I thought Pope deserved more respect. 

Can we change the title of the thread to ‘literally anything you want to talk about, even if it’s a general argument involving just a few people, doesn’t even have to be current Vale affairs, it can be rehashing club history and all sorts, just go for it, whatever comes to mind just type away and post’

People should know before scrolling through.

Clarke was 100% right on his retained list, with maybe the exception of Montano. Pope who had served the club well has now lost all of his pace, he just cannot run, there's nothing crueler than the passage of time and unfortunately Tom's time was up. Brisley was dependable but lacked class and I believe there is younger and better out there. Joyce, a good league 2 footballer was losing his edge, it was time for him to go. Brown, who probably kept us in league football really was susceptible from long range and as good as was with close range reaction saves, he's not the complete article. It's hard to say goodbye to some of these players but there most definitely can be no sentiment in football. A new broom sweeps clean and until Clarke does something to shatter my faith in his judgement then he has my full support. He has decent track record so I can easily see why Carol has appointed him. It's as if some people on here are willing him to fail, which is absurd.

I understand some of the negativity but whilst it's obvious we still need to recruit a relatively large number of new players, and we all crave a big name signing, or three, it's easy to forget we've retained some decent players, many of whom can be considered nailed on first team starters.   We're not in a bad position, so provided the key positions are filled, and we have a bit of luck with our recruitment, we should be able to have a real go.

Archived