onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Andrade would be decent, most wingers we sign tend to do well with the wide expanse of Vale Park, playing on a pitch the size of a postage stamp won’t suit him at Salford.

Andrade, Worrall, Hurst, Amoo and potentially Rodney as wide options would be fairly good depth there.

Advert

8 hours ago, Dr Delgado said:

There may well be some psychology at play with regard to the goalkeeping situation. I think possibly Covolan could well be a No.2 but a strong one with good potential to be number 1. If we had already signed a Vigouroux or King would Covalan have come to the Vale knowing he would probably be second choice? I believe Darrell would be looking for genuine competition in all areas which we didn't have last season. I have no good reason to believe that all signings to date do not have the potential to shine.  

Given the unease about our goalkeeping signing i keep seeing the name Tom King cropping up.

Can anyone explain the fascination apart from the fact they possibly saw him on Sky in the play off final .

Last season he played 9 games for Newport as he was back up keeper,  and only came into the side very late in March.

Nobody saw him against Vale because he didn't play in either game.

I'm struggling to get the clamour for him given his track record. 

So it is okay to be bullish about the Newport reserve keeper but Covolon is a risk ? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_King_(footballer) 

5 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

4 years younger but has played at League 1 and League 2 level as well as . more games at National League level. Seems a better profile to me. 

Have to admit I'd not heard of him so had a look on wiki, he is hardly full of experience at our level like I was expecting after reading 593 and your comments. He's played a handful of games. I was expecting Schmeichel the things I was reading on here about him. 

8 minutes ago, WV said:

Have to admit I'd not heard of him so had a look on wiki, he is hardly full of experience at our level like I was expecting after reading 593 and your comments. He's played a handful of games. I was expecting Schmeichel the things I was reading on here about him. 

Thank you, confirms my point.

Not sure why he so much to the fore. At 26 he's played less than Brown has in the last 2 seasons.

59 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Thank you, confirms my point.

Not sure why he so much to the fore. At 26 he's played less than Brown has in the last 2 seasons.

Newport fans really rate him. Played at a good level rather than for sides such as lewes and white hawk. Literally every single Newport fan(hundreds of them) on twitter is gutted he’s leaving / can’t understand why he wasn’t offered a new deal and says he’s their best keeper they’ve had. I’d argue they’re actually better comments than the Torquay keeper received. 

Personally I’d prefer us to go for someone like king as number 1 who has proven he is good enough at this level than take a risk in such a key position. He’s a good league 2 keeper which is what we needed IMO. A decent league 2 side will end up getting him as number 1. 

1 hour ago, WV said:

Cant expect Schmeichel`s back-up either although he has not played a Prem Game since he left Liverpool in 2018, they will meet in Amsterdam on Saturday.

Anyway… time to move on. Covolan had signed… looks like a cult hero’s in the making.

Some like it, most waiting to judge, the usuals don’t. Water is wet.

Looks like he will be number 1 but we may decide to go with an extra strength keeper squad which would be a serious sign of intent.

Onwards to today… will we see Johnson sign? Some will like it, most will wait to judge, the usuals won’t. Water is wet.

Will anyone get spotted at VP?

Is Andrade in talks.

I love pre season.

UTV

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Newport fans really rate him. Played at a good level rather than for sides such as lewes and white hawk. Literally every single Newport fan(hundreds of them) on twitter is gutted he’s leaving / can’t understand why he wasn’t offered a new deal and says he’s their best keeper they’ve had. I’d argue they’re actually better comments than the Torquay keeper received. 

Personally I’d prefer us to go for someone like king as number 1 who has proven he is good enough at this level than take a risk in such a key position. He’s a good league 2 keeper which is what we needed IMO. A decent league 2 side will end up getting him as number 1. 

Interesting you focus on Lewes and Whitehawk rather than his current side, which suggests a certain confirmation bias given who King was loaned out to while at Millwall. I know it's all subjective and very much a matter of opinion, but you could very easily turn that around as follows:

Torquay fans really rate him. Played as a number 1 for a top NL side rather than for sides such as Braintree and Welling. Literally every single Torquay fan (hundreds of them) on twitter is gutted he’s leaving and says he’s their best keeper they’ve had. I’d argue they’re actually better comments than the Newport keeper received. 

Personally I’d prefer us to go for someone like Covolan as number 1 given he has proven he is good enough as a number 1 than take a risk in such a key position on a keeper deemed surplus to requirements at L2 level by Newport. He’s a top national league keeper which should translate to being a very good L2 keeper IMO. A decent league 2 side has now got him as number 1. 

To be honest, I'd have been perfectly happy with either of them; both a decent pedigree at youth level (Crystal Palace and involved in England U17 vs Vasco da Gama and Brazil U20), both a good age for a keeper, both physically imposing, both highly-rated by their respective clubs' fans, both have a low rate of goals conceded in last two seasons. Lucas tips it for me because of the 'cult hero' potential, but to be honest that's not a good objective reason for choosing a player of any kind, let alone a keeper!

The only way you'd actually know which would be a better fit for us would be if we signed both, which would be fantastic and provide extremely strong competition, but I would imagine is very unlikely to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Clayts said:

Interesting you focus on Lewes and Whitehawk rather than his current side, which suggests a certain confirmation bias given who King was loaned out to while at Millwall. I know it's all subjective and very much a matter of opinion, but you could very easily turn that around as follows:

Torquay fans really rate him. Played as a number 1 for a top NL side rather than for sides such as Braintree and Welling. Literally every single Torquay fan (hundreds of them) on twitter is gutted he’s leaving and says he’s their best keeper they’ve had. I’d argue they’re actually better comments than the Newport keeper received. 

Personally I’d prefer us to go for someone like Covolan as number 1 given he has proven he is good enough as a number 1 than take a risk in such a key position on a keeper deemed surplus to requirements at L2 level by Newport. He’s a top national league keeper which should translate to being a very good L2 keeper IMO. A decent league 2 side has now got him as number 1. 

To be honest, I'd have been perfectly happy with either of them; both a decent pedigree at youth level (Crystal Palace and involved in England U17 vs Vasco da Gama and Brazil U20), both a good age for a keeper, both physically imposing, both highly-rated by their respective clubs' fans, both have a low rate of goals conceded in last two seasons. Lucas tips it for me because of the 'cult hero' potential, but to be honest that's not a good objective reason for choosing a player of any kind, let alone a keeper!

The only way you'd actually know which would be a better fit for us would be if we signed both, which would be fantastic and provide extremely strong competition, but I would imagine is very unlikely to happen. 

Excellent post. It has been done to death now by folk, including myself.

He's signed, time will tell. Welcome Lucas.

Hopefully another newbie for us to dissect later today fingers crossed. 

49 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Just thought I would see what the fuss was all about. Granted Tom King would have ticked the boxes for me just as Lucas has done. Don’t think there is much to choose between them. The one key to me is that Newport chose not to renew his contract, why ? Torquay didn’t want to lose Lucas.
However, DC & DF have made their choice so let’s trust their judgement and not give Lucas the impression that he is not wanted before the season has even stated.

37 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Excellent post. It has been done to death now by folk, including myself.

He's signed, time will tell. Welcome Lucas.

Hopefully another newbie for us to dissect later today fingers crossed. 

the boardroom lights were burnining brightly last night at 10.30pm!:board::drink:

Archived