onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Well I agree but Alnwick had a better pedigree on the basis he had played well as a first team keeper for Newcastle United with one very good display against Chelsea springing to mind. 

But he hadn’t played well as first team keeper as I mentioned above. 18 goals conceded in 7 starts including 3 in a draw against Burnley all of which he contributed to. I was horrified when we signed him but he did really well for us. 

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The bloke had a very public fall out with Flitcroft who called him unprofessional and his behaviour inexcusable.

I can’t see it.

Plus we have a new number 1… the Tunstall Taffarel.

There were reportedly a number of league clubs after him so he isn’t a cheap option. Spending big on 2 keepers doesn’t seem like a good use of a budget. Young understudy with potential and move on to signing some more outfield players. 

For what it's worth i think our second choice keeper will be a younger lad maybe 23 or 24 who they think can push Covolan for a starting place

23 minutes ago, MBE said:

Completely disagree with you on that. There is a massive difference through the divisions for GK's. Technique wise not so much but if you look at composure, communication, distribution, decision making commanding the box, positioning its hugely different.  

Completely agree. Imo there is a reason they are in that division and not playing higher. Makes no sense what so ever that a keeper in a low end non league side is as good on average as a decent league 2 sides keeper. 

17 minutes ago, MBE said:

Does anyone actually have any rumours of players we have been connected to other than Johnson who is rumoured to have signed already?

A coach at Pro Football Academy has said we've signed one of their youngsters, John Clarke who was at Stockport Town last season. Literally only played about 6 games so I'd imagine he's some kind of development player.

I've not seen anything about it other than from this coach on Twitter

5 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

For what it's worth i think our second choice keeper will be a younger lad maybe 23 or 24 who they think can push Covolan for a starting place

I've seen Rampant Zebra post on it, but Ryan Boot could push Covolan. He's won player of the year for 3 seasons at Solihull since leaving us, and they're in the same league as Torquay

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I hope you are not including me in those 5. I am not saying our new keeper is rubbish, he has only ever played 26 games max in a season at a lower level than League 2. I think it is a big ask to expect him to play 46 league games at our level so am hoping that he is only the back up keeper.

Do you think we are doing a good job so far on recruitment apart from the keeper who you keep saying you want as back up keeper although i am 95% he is here to be first choice which i have no problem with as he hasn't played for us yet so will give him a chance to stake his claim and i trust in the management to have done their research on him and any other signings

10 hours ago, philmpv said:

What had Alnwick done before he came here?

Nothing pre-Vale but Alnwick came to Vale as back-up to Chris Neale. When Chris Neale got injured Alnwick took his chance superbly and Chris Neale couldn't get back into the team and was subsequently let go in favor of Alnwick. So Alnwick showed what he could do in a Vale shirt and if he hadn't have worked out then Chris Neale would have stepped back in.

Goalkeeper is such an important position that Covolan is more of a risk than I thought DC/DF would take with a 1st choice keeper. I, like all Vale fans hope he's Allison Ramses Becker version 2.0.

What makes you think I am on a wind up. I would have liked a keeper who has consistently played 40 games a season at any level.
For a keeper to play 40 plus games a year would infer that the back up goalkeeper could not be risked, at a club with 2 good keepers the games are usually shared.

Archived