onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

What about players who have come with bad reviews? Garrity from Oldham? Do we care about their fans views? Whether you like it or not he hasn’t played at a decent level for a number of years that’s what wiki tells us, nobody is trawling through the articles on there. I hope he does brilliant and will reserve judgement until I see him play as I’ve never seen him before. I and a think a few others had just hoped a replacement for brown would have similar experience at this level. 
You can be as experienced as hell and be crap. Similarly, you can have no experience and excel. People place way too much stock in 'experience'. Ability, first and foremost, should be the guide

Advert

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

You can be as experienced as hell and be crap. Similarly, you can have no experience and excel. People place way too much stock in 'experience'. Ability, first and foremost, should be the guide

I agree, however most of the time the players with more ability will have played outside of non league before they’re 30s. They’re are exceptions and this keeper could well be one (he does have brilliant reviews from Torquay) 

3 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Covalan would be a good back up keeper but hopefully first choice is Vigouroux although more probably King in short a quality keeper with good league experience.

If the squad 14 is very much the first team and apart from a keeper the so called stage one is complete with just squad players to sign (unless there are a couple of stage one players already signed but not as yet revealed) then the manager must have the opening day first eleven team sheet done already.

So apart from a number one keeper then perhaps Covalan and Johnson would be considered stage two signings as squad players.

Actually Covalan or Johnson or even say Tshimango and cover at full back another holding midfielder or winger would all now probably be squad players and back up.

It would seem that Rodney and Wilson are first choice upfront and Walker and Conlon first choice centre midfield while Smith and Martin must be first choice centre backs with Gibbons right back and Worral right wing then Jones at left back and I wouldn't be surprised if Hurst is not first choice left wing just add say King in goal and that looks on paper what to expect as the best eleven.

If say we could add Covalan and Johnson and say Tshimango maybe and perhaps Kellener and add a couple of loans like say Clark and Swan then thats what 20 players plus an U21 leaving room for two released academy trialist places.

Don't know what the clamour is for Johnson; bang average at best: ponderous and always giving away needless fouls due to poor positional play. As for Tshimango; a regular sub rather than starter in the games I've seen, but has some good moments: alas, they fewer and further between than Amoo's moments.

It's hard to imagine he'll be a better shot stopper than Brown, but from that highlights reel on YT (I know), he looked more confident under crosses and excellent with his feet. I'd love to see Rodney chasing into the channels after some of those kicks.

I'm a big Brown fan, but this signing looks good to me. 

3 minutes ago, Phil Smith said:

Don't know what the clamour is for Johnson; bang average at best: ponderous and always giving away needless fouls due to poor positional play. As for Tshimango; a regular sub rather than starter in the games I've seen, but has some good moments: alas, they fewer and further between than Amoo's moments.

Stick him next to Aaron Martin who can talk him thorugh the game... he will be a world beater.

Gooooooarn

5 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Why would he be the back up keeper? because he has come from Torquay?? just wondering

As per my other posts - at first glance he looked like a 30yo overseas keeper with no FL experience playing in non-league.

My hopes were signing someone with experience of L1/L2 for such an important position.

I'd always reserve judgement until I've seen them play but it just felt like another Dino Visser type signing.

30 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

What about players who have come with bad reviews? Garrity from Oldham? Do we care about their fans views?

It makes me laugh that when a new signing gets positive comments from previous fans, some on here absolutely cream themselves about it - yet when a new player has bad comments its then a case of "what do their fans know....ignore them....remember Akpo Sodje" etc!

Johnson is 24 and was made captain at Hartlepool and is said to be a LCB/LB so is also versatile.....then again Adam Crookes was likewise versatile as a LCB/LB had come through a Championship academy read the game was decent on the ball and quick also settled at the club had league experience (although never given a run of games) and at 23 was a year younger so Johnson would have to be in the managers mind be a better prospect than Crookes.

Archived